• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Dances with Wolves

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Sitting here with a sinus headache from hell on the couch, needed a movie to put me to sleep so I put in Dances with Wolves.

4 hrs later still haven't gotten any sleep but great movie.

I had seen it but not in 15 years...

Good flick.

Re: Dances with Wolves

Need to watch the extended version (yea there is an EXTENDED version) to get the full meaning of what is going on at the "fort" and other pieces and parts that were cut to the detriment of the movie. Yep, it gets better if it is like 10 minutes longer.

Pat

Oops, just pulled it out...make that another 52 minutes for a total run time of 3 hours and 56 minutes. That is about 4 bags of popcorn and a no doze for this one
smile.gif

Pat

As a kid, I loved this movie for the Sioux.

As a brand new Scout, I loved it for what little Cavalry scenes were in it.

As a slightly more experienced Scout, I drew correlations from my own experiences and of people I encountered: Troopers and Enemy alike. The secret thrill of pontificating "going native", the almost illiterate and highly ignorant Private, the learned and wholly bored staff officer, the seemingly suicidal fervor of a warrior, the humanity of it all.

As a whatever I am now, I wonder- was it all worth it? Destroy a way of life and culture for suburban sprawl and a society that seeks constantly to get back to the very easy principles the ones we destroyed lived by? Wearing of garments largely unsuited to the terrain and climate, unhealthy and unnatural diets, overt trust of a governing force that has no clue what it's doing, etc.

I never saw a Tatonka, but my mount was taken from me once. I went close to the brink of native once in my own personal context but the lands that drew my focus offered no righteous return to good; so thank God for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a kid, I loved this movie for the Sioux.

As a brand new Scout, I loved it for what little Cavalry scenes were in it.

As a slightly more experienced Scout, I drew correlations from my own experiences and of people I encountered: Troopers and Enemy alike. The secret thrill of pontificating "going native", the almost illiterate and highly ignorant Private, the learned and wholly bored staff officer, the seemingly suicidal fervor of a warrior, the humanity of it all.

As a whatever I am now, I wonder- was it all worth it? Destroy a way of life and culture for suburban sprawl and a society that seeks constantly to get back to the very easy principles the ones we destroyed lived by? Wearing of garments largely unsuited to the terrain and climate, unhealthy and unnatural diets, overt trust of a governing force that has no clue what it's doing, etc.

I never saw a Tatonka, but my mount was taken from me once. I went close to the brink of native once in my own personal context but the lands that drew my focus offered no righteous return to good; so thank God for that. </div></div>

thats pretty deep there cavscout, it prolly would of been an even greater movie if he was an infantry solider (kidding). i prefer the jerimiah johnson method. mind my own business, deal with those that can be dealt with, and destroy that ones that are not suitable to a peaceful society. i had this mentality on both my tours to the box and has served me well.

Lemme guess, you loved "Avatar"?
wink.gif

Stalker.

You're right, it might have been better were he Infantry. But then he would have had to walk out west from the battlefields of the Civil War and it would have taken forever. Things are resolved much quicker when the Cavalry is involved.
laugh.gif
Except 1CD, but they're a bunch of faggots post-vietnam. Automatically awarding Combat Spurs to pogue BSB's. Please.

Unless he was mounted Infantry of course. Wanna be Cavalry the lot of ya, eh Master Gunner?

Hey, did Chris ever get a hold of you? I think he should be back in Colorado. He got in a wreck in PA so he might be a little sore for shooting for a while. You been able to get any scouting in for the areas ya drew? I'm curious to see how your hunting season goes. I miss that dang state.

no he hasnt contacted me yet, yeah i been up in the mtn a time or two. im waiting till just before it kicks off. our field time is about to kick off unfortunately. so well see.

take it easy brother

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lemme guess, you loved "Avatar"?
wink.gif
</div></div>

have you ever seen jerimiah johnson? ive never seen avatar but from what i heard he is sent in to deal with those things and becomes one and fight his bretheren.

not so much

jerimiah johnson traded and benefited from the indians that were civil. and killed the shit outta the ones that wanted to start shit with him while he minded his own business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a kid, I loved this movie for the Sioux.
</div></div>

Damn I had to go look up the year that movie came out, so no smart ass comment here!

It came out in 1990...dang, that's 20 years ago, WTF?? Where'd the time go?

Dude, Smiles A Lot (Nathan Lee Chasing His Horse) is now 34 and a Lakota medicine man. It was made a while ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Well, since I'm 40 I'm going to have to say I'm much happier living in a world where the average life expectancy is 78 instead of 35. I also like having teeth and a flush toilet, but hey - that's just me :)

PS: It was still a fantastic movie. One of my favorites.

The trappings of physicality do nothing to answer for mental and spiritual health.

Flush toilets are over rated. JP8 and a lit roll of paper, make the kids earn their keep. Brings a whole new context to stirring shit
laugh.gif

I remember watching this at an IMAX in denver when it came out. As we walked out my dad told me and my brothers, "That might be the best movie you will ever see."

I saw the original, and then saw the remake when they released it and changed the name to "Avatar".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the original, and then saw the remake when they released it and changed the name to "Avatar". </div></div>
Hahaha

Great movie. Still catch it on the tv once in a while.