• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Danger Close, Virginia Politics Alert

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
I beg the moderator's indulgence on breaking the norm against political discussion.

The Loudoun County VA Board of Supervisors is having a meeting tonight at 5 p.m. at 1 East Harris Street to amend the Firearms ordinance for discharging a firearm from 100 yards from a structure to a HALF A MILE. This means unless you have a huge farm or other piece of property in another county you will not be able to shoot in your own woods or hunt.

It also means that the land my family has hunted on for generations will now be unavailable to us for anything but bow.

Kristen Umstattd is the one pushing for this to go through.

If you can't go and want to voice your opinion call the board of supervisors 703-777-0204.

Flood 'em.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I live a couple counties south, in Greene, so I cant help you out, but do send best wishes on this. Unfortunately, the northern part of our precious Commonwealth has been filled with libfuctards.

A structure?

Not simply a dwelling, but any structure - like a barn or storage shed?

That is my understanding, yes. It will effectively end sport shooting and firearms hunting in the county if they can enforce it.

here are their emails if you don't call and/or go to tonite's meeting:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

this is what they (she) wants to do:
To direct staff to prepare an amendment to Chapter 684.03(3)(d) of the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun County (“Ordinance”) to increase from 100 yards to 880 yards, or one-half mile, the minimum distance an individual must be from any occupied home or occupied structure when discharging a firearm.

one home/landowner was very irresponsible, and she wants to stop pretty much everyone in loudoun county from target shooting or hunting on their properties. i asked her why she hasn't banned alcohol in the county since surely at least one person has died from a drunk driving accident, but i guess them's are apples and oranges...

to be clear, IF you get permission from other residents in the 100 / 880 yard perimeter, you're still allowed to shoot and hunt, but that is an unnecessary burden and not very practical.

here are their emails if you don't call and/or go to tonite's meeting:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

this is what they (she) wants to do:
To direct staff to prepare an amendment to Chapter 684.03(3)(d) of the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun County (“Ordinance”) to increase from 100 yards to 880 yards, or one-half mile, the minimum distance an individual must be from any occupied home or occupied structure when discharging a firearm.

one home/landowner was very irresponsible, and she wants to stop pretty much everyone in loudoun county from target shooting or hunting on their properties. i asked her why she hasn't banned alcohol in the county since surely at least one person has died from a drunk driving accident, but i guess them's are apples and oranges...

to be clear, IF you get permission from other residents in the 100 / 880 yard perimeter, you're still allowed to shoot and hunt, but that is an unnecessary burden and not very practical.

I wonder if that includes your own 'structure/home'?

Just for you deary, I copied and pasted all the email addresses you listed, put the amendment # as subject, and included this..."Hoping you will vote against this amendment. NO reason to punish all for one persons fear and selfishness. We the voters will be watching. " Took all of 2 minutes, good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: davsco
I've called all my friends, the local gun shops, and Congresswoman Comstock. Let's hope it is enough. Thanks to Davsco for the clarification and Maggot for the email.

I got an email from Tony Buffington's staffer. He is voting against the amendment. That makes the known count 1 in favor, and 1 opposed.

I got an email from Tony Buffington's staffer. He is voting against the amendment. That makes the known count 1 in favor, and 1 opposed.

I got the same.

Thank you for taking the time to email Supervisor Buffington with your thoughts and comments on Item #12 for the June 21st business meeting, Amendment to the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun County: Chapter 684.03(3)(d) – Weapons and Explosives. Supervisor Buffington is adamantly opposed to increasing the minimum distance from 100 yards to a half mile and will be voting no on this motion.

Thank you and have a great day.

Robin Bartok

Legislative Aide to Supervisor Tony R. Buffington

Blue Ridge District Supervisor

Loudoun County Board of Supervisors

703-777-0210

Update: no action was taken on the issue last night and the measure was returned for examination. It appears they called off the vote, which is a victory in the short term.

Update: no action was taken on the issue last night and the measure was returned for examination. It appears they called off the vote, which is a victory in the short term.

Chickenshits knew they'd lose and that would be the end. Now they can weasel around and try again.

That was my figuring as well. Rather than have the vote and lose, they called it off when the whip count didn't come in.

whew, we dodged a bullet so to speak. unfortunately, sure more rounds will be lobbed at us down the road...