• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dangerous Rifle Basix trigger problem.

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
I just got this Rifle Basix Trigger from Midway, followed the instructions to the letter, didn't mess with any adjustments, but this seems pretty wrong to me:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AgWPET0q35A"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AgWPET0q35A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Should I return it? Does it need adjusting? Is something wrong with my bolt?

It's a 1991 .308 PSS with no modifications.

Re: Dangerous Rifle Basix trigger problem.

Appears not enough sear engagement.Easy to fix but if your not sure how this all works have a smith do it.Triggers are no place to wing it.

As stated above not enough sear. Simple fix. No need to send it back.

The consensus seems to be sear adjustment and I'm comfortable with that, it's just that this is touted as an out-of-the-box install anyone can do and the installation instructions state several times not to adjust anything. It seems dangerous to me that your average joe, following these instructions, could end up with a rifle in a dangerous state.

Sir, if you think ANY trigger comes safely tuned "out of the box" then you are already in over your head! Take it to a reputable 'smith, and you'll be G2G...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tolerance stackup. JMHO </div></div>

That was my thought too since it is an older rifle with a fairly high round count, but the consensus seems to be adjustment. I think I'm just going to send this thing back. The factory trigger, once adjusted, is surprisingly good and my gut feeling is that once I get this thing adjusted to where I feel safe, it won't be any better than the factory trigger. I'm pretty disappointed with Rifle Basix right now.

I ordered mine set at 2 1/2 lbs and was getting slam fires. We adjusted it to almost 3 lbs and it works great. You gotta know which screws to turn and how much. Helps to have a trigger pull gauge.

My factory remington trigger is set at just under 2lbs. It's the older trigger. Hunting/ Target gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The consensus seems to be sear adjustment and I'm comfortable with that, it's just that this is touted as an out-of-the-box install anyone can do and the installation instructions state several times not to adjust anything. It seems dangerous to me that your average joe, following these instructions, could end up with a rifle in a dangerous state. </div></div>

The problem with some "drop in" parts is when they don't.

My 2 cents there are no drop in parts for anything that's been manufactured for over 40 years.

Well, they've got a sound warranty so I'm going to give it a try at the range before I decide to return it. I adjusted the sear engagement 1/8 turn and it seems to have taken out the slop (it now takes a good wompin' with a wooden mallet to get it to drop) but added a little to the pull. I'll report back this weekend.

I have an RB Sav1 trigger on my Savage right now, and I don't care for it at all.

By the time I give it enough sear engagement and pullweight to absolutely guarantee it won't go off unless the trigger is pulled, it lets off at a creepy 3.5lb.

Bummer.

I love mine, took me a while to adjust it but I love it. Mine is a SAV-1, and i took my time to make sure that the sear engagement was correct, my trigger pull was down to where I wanted (1.5lbs), theres no creep, and absolutely no slam fires. following the instructions was easy. I don't see a need to send it back now when you can probably fix it yourself, I'm sure it came with instructions on how to do so.

Before this turns into a Rifle Basix bashing thread let me put my pennies in the pot.
NOTHING is drop in GTG. If it is you got lucky.

IF there is something wrong with a Rifle Basix, Clay is a good man and he WILL make it right.

I did have a broken RB trigger for a 700, that some ardnaught garage gunsmith had a go at adjustment. I called Clay and he immediately wanted my adress tosend me a new trigger...no he didn't wait for me to send mine back, although I did. Had my gun back up and running in 3 days, no problems. Yes I had to adjust it when it came. An aftermarket trigger that needs adjustment is absolutely normal. There are no triggers you can drop in and have a dead nuts perfect trigger pull, no matter what you may have been led to believe.
Whacking your bolt with a wooden mallet is not what I would call a great way to test a trigger.
I also have a RB trigger on another 700 that has a smidge of creep but it is because the bolt is a bit loose and a bit out of time, trust me it doesn't take much. This situation is more common than you might think. +1 on what Naval said about tolerance stacking, its not the trigger's fault and you may end up with a bit heavy or bit creepy trigger. A Jewell may do the same in that situation.
Take it to a GOOD gunsmith.

PS: I also have a Sav-1 and I followed the easily understood directions. It is "like butta" and I don't mean squishy.

Well, after a day at the range, I'm happy to report that I'll be keeping the trigger. It seems to be OK (and more importantly, safe) after the adjustments I made. I fired fifty or so rounds through it and it was consistent with no creep and my pull gauge showed it to be consistently between the 12 and 16 oz marks (the gauge was indexed with 1/4 lb marks). I couldn't get it any lower even with no tension on the pull adjustment so I just set it to 16 and I'm happy with that.

I still think it's a little odd that they would advertise this thing as "drop-in" and "anyone can install it". I agree with the rest of you that this is not really a reasonable expectation, but in my humble opinion, it seems like a lawsuit against Rifle Basix waiting to happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, after a day at the range, I'm happy to report that I'll be keeping the trigger. It seems to be OK (and more importantly, safe) after the adjustments I made. I fired fifty or so rounds through it and it was consistent with no creep and my pull gauge showed it to be consistently between the 12 and 16 oz marks (the gauge was indexed with 1/4 lb marks). I couldn't get it any lower even with no tension on the pull adjustment so I just set it to 16 and I'm happy with that.

I still think it's a little odd that they would advertise this thing as "drop-in" and "anyone can install it". I agree with the rest of you that this is not really a reasonable expectation, but in my humble opinion, it seems like a lawsuit against Rifle Basix waiting to happen. </div></div>

Dude, it's a drop in because if fits in your gun with no mods to the gun or stock. You have to adjust the damn thing and set it to the poundage you want. I hope you put loctight on the screws to keep them from backing out. There are videos all over the internet on how to adjust these triggers.

Rifle Basix triggers are GTG with minor adjustments but then again what doesn't require minor adjmnts anymore even your TV from best buy say you should have the geek squad "professionally set it up to optimize performance". when i got mine RB trigger i installed it and had a similar scenario just not as bad but i had to add some sear engagement i called clay he walked me through it and viola it work's like a charm.