• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daniel Defense DD5 V5 6.5 Creedmoor... Thoughts?

ZXGRIFF

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Christiansburg, VA
I just bought the DD5 V5 in 6.5 Creedmoor and figured I’d see if anyone here had any experience with this model (good or bad), factory ammo they typically shoot best, reliability, etc...
So far I really like the size and weight (or lack thereof), as well as the fit and finish of the whole thing. The only real negative I’ve come up with to this point is the trigger is trash for a rifle in this price range, it’s just a plain ole mil-spec throwaway.

Last edited:
Not a clue about any of your questions but hope to pick one up next year/later this year so let us know xD

I really like the way the rail mounts to the upper and the accuracy reports that I have seen on reviews are phenomenal especially when you co sider its CHF.

Hopefully some others can chime in too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZXGRIFF
I just bought the DD5 V5 in 6.5 Creedmoor and figured I’d see if anyone here had any experience with this model (good or bad), factory ammo they typically shoot best, reliability, etc...
So far I really like the size and weight (or lack thereof), as well as the fit and finish of the whole thing. The only real negative I’ve come up with to this pointistrigger is trash for a rifle in this price range, it’s just a plain ole mil-spec throwaway.
DD is over-priced and comparatively under-featured.
Go "feature" ... with a LWRCI REPR MKII in 6.5 ... or Go "value" with a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5.
I have both ... they're both awesome tack-driving 1,000-yard zombie-killers.
Just my humble opinion.

It didn’t come with a Geissele 2-stage trigger?
No, the Limited edition .308 and the Hunter models, as well as a few of the short action rifles, get the Geissele triggers. One would think, when paying that much for a rifle, you could at east expect to get the most basic of the Geissele triggers.

DD is over-priced and comparatively under-featured.
Go "feature" ... with a LWRCI REPR MKII in 6.5 ... or Go "value" with a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5.
I have both ... they're both awesome tack-driving 1,000-yard zombie-killers.
Just my humble opinion.
While I like LWRCI rifles (I have the M6 IC SPR 5.56 with a Flir PTS 536 thermal), I couldn’t justify paying $1,000-$1,500 more for the REPR over the DD5. Sure you gain a piston, a Geissele trigger, and a Magpul PRS stock, you also gain 3lbs. As far as the Tikka goes, I’m sure it’s a great rifle, however I already have a custom rifle built on an AI AX chassis with a Hawk Hill barrel chambered in .260 Rem that is an absolute hammer. The whole thing with the DD5 was to get into a long action semi auto.

Reactions: RTV
While I like LWRCI rifles (I have the M6 IC SPR 5.56 with a Flir PTS 536 thermal), I couldn’t justify paying $1,000-$1,500 more for the REPR over the DD5. Sure you gain a piston, a Geissele trigger, and a Magpul PRS stock, you also gain 3lbs. As far as the Tikka goes, I’m sure it’s a great rifle, however I already have a custom rifle built on an AI AX chassis with a Hawk Hill barrel chambered in .260 Rem that is an absolute hammer. The whole thing with the DD5 was to get into a long action semi auto.
Fair analysis ... although I have the version with the Carbon Fiber barrel ... which helps the weight a little. My REPR is the most accurate, reliable, comfortable, and cleanest rifle in my arsenal (the piston system makes a huge difference). I just LOVE it. I have 10 rifles, 4 sub-guns (PCC's) and 12 pistols ... and if the "bad people" came to take away my guns and said I could only keep one ... the 6.5 REPR would be the one I'd keep. And that's saying something, given my 2nd choice would be my Barrett MRAD. To each his own. I do know DD makes ultra high quality products. I've had my eye on the Delta-5 BA in 6.5 Creedmoor and might move on that when I can find a good deal.

I purchased a dd5v5 months ago, put about 500 rounds through it. It’s an amazing rifle, it will sit at the range next to the tikkas and LMTs and lWRCIs but it will be the one everyone is admiring and asking about. For whatever reason and for whatever that is worth lol. I switched out my trigger immediately for a 1-1.5lb triggertech diamond, then eventually went with a flat version as I never sat my finger right consistently on the curved. I switched out my superior suppression device for a couple brakes, to an american precision arms fat bastard although I liked the previous precision armament brake better that I ran first I think. I’ve been able to hit consistent 1/2 moa groups at 100 yards with very little experience and using Hornady or burger factory 140 grain ammo.. Although I am using a Kahles 525 msr2 on it. I have zero issues consistently hitting anything up to 1000yrds. There are two things you have to accept with this rifle, one being that it’s design has thought of everything, and the parts stay together perfectly. A very well thought out design. Cleaning is easy and It will just go and go and go. Some say the barrel lasts up to 30,000 rounds and still shoots accurately (not sure I believe that). The 2nd thing to accept is that the genius proprietary design that makes this rifle so admired and bad ass is also keeping you from allowing it to go any further then factory performance. The barrel nut sandwich is proprietary so no barrel changes for something longer or fluted or carbon fiber. No barrel replacement even (as of yet, I’m certain DD is remedying this). No changing out hand guards for something cool like a BlK LBL bi pod. Although the dd5 hand guard looks as cool as one can. Can’t use the lowers or uppers with any other manufacturers. Stock tubes have issues with magpul prs gen 3 so you’ll need to mod them just a teensy but to get one put on which I did really easily. However! The one really neat thing about a rifle like this is you can buy a V1 308’ 16” upper and a 1x6 or 8 scope and have a lightweight powerful 3 gun competition rifle, then switch the upper in 5 seconds for the V5 with a high power scope, extend the amazing factory rear stock (if you keep it on), throw in a clip of 6.5CM and hit 1200 yard targets consistently. I don’t think you’re losing anything buying this rifle and I don’t feel it’s over priced for something American made that you can run over with a truck (in a swamp) and have it still fire.

Attachments

• EFFE6B9B-58D3-4EAC-95B8-5FCBB0080033.jpeg
    EFFE6B9B-58D3-4EAC-95B8-5FCBB0080033.jpeg
    552.3 KB · Views: 627
  • 7AC83C00-FDC6-4D72-95CF-500038D666ED.jpeg
    7AC83C00-FDC6-4D72-95CF-500038D666ED.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 489
  • F0D9AE8E-0061-4B91-ADC5-08A220780EC9.jpeg
    F0D9AE8E-0061-4B91-ADC5-08A220780EC9.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 435
  • 4A5A8BE2-06BB-4C83-B91F-D3FAD9CA5CE9.jpeg
    4A5A8BE2-06BB-4C83-B91F-D3FAD9CA5CE9.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 570
Is there anything better than Daniel Defence in terms of quality in that price range ($2500 or so)? I also love KAC quality but that's more than $4000.

I’ve got the DD5V4 in 6.5 but the hunter model. Has the upgraded trigger and the Kryptec hydro-dip. Love it. Mine will be used to smash feral hogs and the occasional whitetail. Shooting Berger 135 Classic Hunter’s inside .5 MOA. Paired it with a Leupold MK5 and my SureFire Socom 762

Reactions: ZXGRIFF
@AKMsoldier to answer your question, a Seekins SP-10 is around the same price range, and is a lot of gun at a great value. Mine is a 6.5 CM with a 22” barrel, and I brought it to shoot with a buddy a couple mobths ago. His first comment on it was how smooth the charging handle and bcg group felt as he was chambering the first round.

On the other hand, I’ve held DD5s, and the Seekins feels noticeably heavier. Depending on your purpose for the rifle, that could be a good or bad thing. It’s great shooting the SP-10 from the bench because it’s so stable, but I wouldn’t choose it for 3 gun.

As mentioned above, if you don’t mind leaving most everything stock, a DD5 might be a good option. If you want to modify things later, a different brand’s rifle might be a better fit.

@AKMsoldier to answer your question, a Seekins SP-10 is around the same price range, and is a lot of gun at a great value. Mine is a 6.5 CM with a 22” barrel, and I brought it to shoot with a buddy a couple mobths ago. His first comment on it was how smooth the charging handle and bcg group felt as he was chambering the first round.

On the other hand, I’ve held DD5s, and the Seekins feels noticeably heavier. Depending on your purpose for the rifle, that could be a good or bad thing. It’s great shooting the SP-10 from the bench because it’s so stable, but I wouldn’t choose it for 3 gun.

As mentioned above, if you don’t mind leaving most everything stock, a DD5 might be a good option. If you want to modify things later, a different brand’s rifle might be a better fit.
Yhank you for advice! I will not make changes. If accuracy is the same, what will matter to me most would be quality/attention to detail..
. hopefully clise to KAS level. If Seekins is better than DD in that respect, then I would rather go for Seekins.

Just to clarify, I haven’t ever fired a DD5, so I can’t speak to how they shoot. I do know that the Seekins is in the same price range, and I’ve really enjoyed shooting it. In my experience, it groups well and runs reliably, but I am nowhere near proficient enough to be wringing all the accuracy out of either of these rifles. Maybe someone who has shot both can add their thoughts to the conversation.

Thanks. I have read reviews that spek highly of the accuracy of Seekins. As to the quality and attention to detail, I need to go to the next gun show and compare them next to each other. Photos are not always telling the whole story.

I have a dd5v4 in 6.5 creedmoor. Not one hiccup yet. It is a fantastic rifle. I will probably buy a dd5v4 upper in .308. Why not?
I dont shoot it much as I prefer to shoot my bolt guns, but the accuracy and reliability are definitely there.

Great! You are a perfect person to ask this question then. If you were buying your DD again, would you stll buy it in 6.5 CM or would you rather do it in .308? I am asking because if you need to shoot with accuracy at a long distance - like 1000 yards, it would be easier for you to do it woth one of your bolt action rifles, right?

Great! You are a perfect person to ask this question then. If you were buying your DD again, would you stll buy it in 6.5 CM or would you rather do it in .308? I am asking because if you need to shoot with accuracy at a long distance - like 1000 yards, it would be easier for you to do it woth one of your bolt action rifles, right?
As far as witch cartridge to go with, its the same as with bolt guns. 6.5 creedmoor has the ballistic and recoil advantage over 308. The .308 has barrel life and cheaper surplus ammunition that is all but gone due to the political climate. If you plan on stretching its legs, the 6.5 should up your hit percentage. Pick your poison as I don’t see you going wrong with either.

A good bolt gun will have the accuracy advantage over the gas gun. They seem to be easier to shoot well and maintain consistency. I myself are much more comfortable behind the bolt gun and if I had to make that shot, its what I would pick. I like having both. If your goal is to shoot at extended distances mostly, you may want to consider a bolt rifle first. If most of your time will be spent closer in than 700 yards or so then get that gas gun first. Hell a DDv5v4 or 5 and a tikka ctr both in the same caliber would be a solid combo.

Is there anything better than Daniel Defence in terms of quality in that price range ($2500 or so)? I also love KAC quality but that's more than $4000.
Too bad you can't spring for a little more. My LWRCI REPR MKII Elite in 6.5 Creedmoor is an amazing piece of engineering. Premium priced, but worth every dime.

Reactions: P47rr
Thank you for good advice... It is evident now that I need both TIKKA T3X TAC A1 and AR10 and both should be in 6.5 creedmoor. I may buy what's on good sale first. Unfortunately, I cannot afford an LWRCI right now but may in the future.

Reactions: wade2big
Thank you for good advice... It is evident now that I need both TIKKA T3X TAC A1 and AR10 and both should be in 6.5 creedmoor. I may buy what's on good sale first. Unfortunately, I cannot afford an LWRCI right now but may in the future.
I'm fortunate to have one of each ... both great choices in their respective price ranges.