• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daniel Defense DD5v3, DD5v4 and DD5v5

TangoSierra916

God, Family, Country
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2017
    Midwest USA
    Anyone have experience with these rifles yet?

Are the new specs performing better or worse than the older v2 and v1?

did a search but didn’t find anything here. Any insight would help, thanks!

I have a DD5 V3 in 308... only been to the range once and didnt do any gas block adjusting because I was running a can and couldnt get a tool on the block, I just wanted to get some groups with it. When I had a DD5V1 when they first came out, it was pretty overgassed and really had a heavy recoil. I ended up selling it pretty quick because for the price, there were just a lot of better options out. With the new DD5V3-V5, the rifles are $1,000 less, dont include the geissele trigger anymore,but do have a very nice adjustable gas block. The build quality is typical Daniel Defense, the bolt and carrier are coated, and it looks like they really made a rifle people "want", instead of an overpriced 308 gun that really didnt have a place in the market. Im probably going to go adjust the gas block today or tomorrow and see if I can settle the recoil down a bit, but I didnt have any issues with the 60 rounds I shot last week, was easy to zero with my MK6 1-6 on there, and for the price, its on par with others. Im sure it will be a nice 1 MOA shooter and shouldnt have any issues to 1,000, but once I get it dialed I will know more.

Reactions: TangoSierra916
    @Fenix Mike - that’s awesome to hear. Any malfunctions? And how was it overall to shoot? Seems like a good price and like you said more desired package, although I would add the Ssa-E back in. ?

@Fenix Mike - that’s awesome to hear. Any malfunctions? And how was it overall to shoot? Seems like a good price and like you said more desired package, although I would add the Ssa-E back in. ?
    My first mod was the SSAE and Surefire brake for my can :) Zero malfunctions, but I had changed optics around on a few guns and dragged 4 of them out to zero, so other than a quick function check, then a mag of M80 ball, and a mag of Magtech 168 match, I just wanted to get the scope set. It had some heavy recoil (more than my Scar and LMT MWS, but I havent touched the adjustable gas block yet. The scar is dialed down with perfect gas, and the LMT is quite a bit heavier, so really not the greatest comparison, but just the first thing I noticed. If I get the gas dialed at the indoor range this week, I will drag it back out probably this weekend to hit steel at 750 and see how it groups.

My first mod was the SSAE and Surefire brake for my can :) Zero malfunctions, but I had changed optics around on a few guns and dragged 4 of them out to zero, so other than a quick function check, then a mag of M80 ball, and a mag of Magtech 168 match, I just wanted to get the scope set. It had some heavy recoil (more than my Scar and LMT MWS, but I havent touched the adjustable gas block yet. The scar is dialed down with perfect gas, and the LMT is quite a bit heavier, so really not the greatest comparison, but just the first thing I noticed. If I get the gas dialed at the indoor range this week, I will drag it back out probably this weekend to hit steel at 750 and see how it groups.

haha that’s awesome we’ll keep us posted, I’m curious to see your thoughts on it and on it vs the LMT.

haha that’s awesome we’ll keep us posted, I’m curious to see your thoughts on it and on it vs the LMT.
    Two different rifles. The LMT is absolutely outstanding... but its also a heavy pig. I bought the DD5 to be that "in the middle" gun that if friends were going to a 1K range, I could compete and have fun and not lug out a huge rifle. If I brought the LMT, im not standing up and firing it, however it is wonderful at 1,000 shooting from a bench or prone.

These may be worth a second look since they went to a standard charging handle. The ball detent was an absolute no-go. I haven’t seen any replacement barrels or bcg’s on their website either.

The availability of end user replaceable barrels and available bcg’s is the reason I went with LMT over KAC. Having to send any AR to the factory for a barrel replacement is absolute clown shoes.

@Fenix Mike - how is the DD doing? On the fence with buying lmt or the dd. Just very tough to find the lmt.
    I guess I didnt pay attention when I bought it, but it isnt a traditional "adjustable" gas block, its actually just a two position suppressed/unsuppressed switch. The only thing I dislike is it requires an allen wrench to turn the valve, which thankfully I was able to fit into the magpul grip seeing as how otherwise it cant be adjusted. That being said, it performed well, and properly gassed in suppressed and unsuppressed modes (would not cycle in suppressed mode with no can on, where as many "suppressed" mode settings are still way over gassed), with the suppressed mode being quite a bit softer. I brought two kinds of M80 ball, FGMM 175 and Magtech 168 ammo. It shot the best with the 168s printing some consistent 1-1.5 inch groups (keep in mind im running a Leupold MK6 1-6, so sub MOA precision isnt the easiest at 100 yards with that) and after a couple mags through it, I had a best group of the day with 9 rounds in a 1 inch hole and one flyer 1 inch outside, which I will claim as my fault. Looks like the rifle takes about 150 rounds to break in and it really started making nice groups. With the M80 ball, 2-3 inch groups were coming out of the magtech and consistent 3 out of the surplus stuff. My Scar shoots the same so its definitely the ammo. On the 550 and 750 yard targets, 168s didnt miss a beat and made pinging 12x12 targets a cinch.

All in all, after DD dropping the price of these rifles, its quite a bargain considering the build quality and extras they added in. Its significantly lighter than my LMT, smoother recoil than my Scar 17, above average accuracy for a battle rifle, and maybe if I get some time, I will toss my ATACR 4-16 on there and see how good I can get the groups on it. I bought it as a mid range rifle I could do anything with, and it fits that role very well. Another fun fact is the BDC on the Leupold CMR762 matched up PERFECTLY at 550 and 750 yards using the Magtech 168s. I even let my coworker run it, and him having never shot long range before, I told him hold it between the 5 and 6, then hold just to the left of the target, and while he missed the first round, the 9 rounds after were all hits.

The only thing I wish it had was either a gas block switch for suppressed/unsuppressed, or an infinitely adjustable gas block so I can just dial the gas down to where I want it and deal with a bit more pressure on the suppressed side, knowing that at any time I can grab it and use it, where as now, I have to set it back to unsuppressed every time I finish shooting, as it will not cycle without the can in that mode.

I too was checking out the new V5. But went with as LMT MWS. The MWS will give you many options that you just won't have with any other platform.

Give John at V1 Tactical a call, he's an LMT dealer. Most all the LMT products on his sight are special order, but he offers great pricing and fast service.

I would have a hard time giving up my MWS. I told my rep at DD that if they made a 20 inch 308 DD5, id run it and see how it did, but the MWS just runs like a sewing machine and requires nothing to give me everything.

I posted this in another place but here’s my thoughts on the DD5V5:

I purchased a dd5v5 months ago, put about 500 rounds through it. It’s an amazing rifle, it will sit at the range next to the tikkas and LMTs and lWRCIs but it will be the one everyone is admiring and asking about. For whatever reason and for whatever that is worth lol. I switched out my trigger immediately for a 1-1.5lb triggertech diamond, then eventually went with a flat version as I never sat my finger right consistently on the curved. I switched out my superior suppression device for a couple brakes, to an american precision arms fat bastard although I liked the previous precision armament brake better that I ran first I think. I’ve been able to hit consistent 1/2 moa groups at 100 yards with very little experience and using Hornady or burger factory 140 grain ammo.. Although I am using a Kahles 525 msr2 on it. I have zero issues consistently hitting anything up to 1000yrds. There are two things you have to accept with this rifle, one being that it’s design has thought of everything, and the parts stay together perfectly. A very well thought out design. Cleaning is easy and It will just go and go and go. Some say the barrel lasts up to 30,000 rounds and still shoots accurately (not sure I believe that). The 2nd thing to accept is that the genius proprietary design that makes this rifle so admired and bad ass is also keeping you from allowing it to go any further then factory performance. The barrel nut sandwich is proprietary so no barrel changes for something longer or fluted or carbon fiber. No barrel replacement even (as of yet, I’m certain DD is remedying this). No changing out hand guards for something cool like a BlK LBL bi pod. Although the dd5 hand guard looks as cool as one can. Can’t use the lowers or uppers with any other manufacturers. Stock tubes have issues with magpul prs gen 3 so you’ll need to mod them just a teensy but to get one put on which I did really easily. However! The one really neat thing about a rifle like this is you can buy a V1 308’ 16” upper and a 1x6 or 8 scope and have a lightweight powerful 3 gun competition rifle, then switch the upper in 5 seconds for the V5 with a high power scope, extend the amazing factory rear stock (if you keep it on), throw in a clip of 6.5CM and hit 1200 yard targets consistently. I don’t think you’re losing anything buying this rifle and I don’t feel it’s over priced for something American made that you can run over with a truck (in a swamp) and have it still fire.

Attachments

• C272BDE0-870A-4A05-AF16-6F392F7EB322.jpeg
      C272BDE0-870A-4A05-AF16-6F392F7EB322.jpeg
      625 KB · Views: 1,373
    • F1869E3D-5F05-4180-ACBA-898955C780A4.jpeg
      F1869E3D-5F05-4180-ACBA-898955C780A4.jpeg
      541.5 KB · Views: 1,085
    • 509044D9-8705-452C-B44C-05E1022FBDA1.jpeg
      509044D9-8705-452C-B44C-05E1022FBDA1.jpeg
      475 KB · Views: 1,023
    Anyone have any additional feedback on these?

I finally received my vortex razor 1-10 mrad, mounted it in a LEAP tonight and will take out my 18” 6.5cm iteration for its maiden shoot tomorrow. I have 40 rounds of three different factory loads that I am going to feed it unsuppressed to get a baseline function test, velocities and break it in a bit. I did not have time to swap in an SSA-E that I need to locate, so I might opt for an MBT-2s at this time.

This was envisioned to be a “do it all” type of rifle with the ability to send more metal into wind at potentially longer distances. I opted for the DD because it’s not a benchrest shooter for competition and the DD barrels are chrome lined.

Attachments

• B5B1952D-B6B9-4460-9983-BE6D1977F046.jpeg
      B5B1952D-B6B9-4460-9983-BE6D1977F046.jpeg
      317.6 KB · Views: 506
    I landed a DDV3 here in Australia last week and couldn't be happier, easily sub MOA with a Kahles K16i. I had DD fit a Geissele single stage trigger and Surefire Socom brake and it just runs perfectly.

Screenshot_20201014-163357_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Jsp556
    I’m sure you can change the gas block and no barrel changes from other companies at this time only DD proprietary set up. I have a DD5V4 in .308 shoots good so far.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
    I would have a hard time giving up my MWS. I told my rep at DD that if they made a 20 inch 308 DD5, id run it and see how it did, but the MWS just runs like a sewing machine and requires nothing to give me everything.
    I guess I didnt pay attention when I bought it, but it isnt a traditional "adjustable" gas block, its actually just a two position suppressed/unsuppressed switch. The only thing I dislike is it requires an allen wrench to turn the valve, which thankfully I was able to fit into the magpul grip seeing as how otherwise it cant be adjusted. That being said, it performed well, and properly gassed in suppressed and unsuppressed modes (would not cycle in suppressed mode with no can on, where as many "suppressed" mode settings are still way over gassed), with the suppressed mode being quite a bit softer. I brought two kinds of M80 ball, FGMM 175 and Magtech 168 ammo. It shot the best with the 168s printing some consistent 1-1.5 inch groups (keep in mind im running a Leupold MK6 1-6, so sub MOA precision isnt the easiest at 100 yards with that) and after a couple mags through it, I had a best group of the day with 9 rounds in a 1 inch hole and one flyer 1 inch outside, which I will claim as my fault. Looks like the rifle takes about 150 rounds to break in and it really started making nice groups. With the M80 ball, 2-3 inch groups were coming out of the magtech and consistent 3 out of the surplus stuff. My Scar shoots the same so its definitely the ammo. On the 550 and 750 yard targets, 168s didnt miss a beat and made pinging 12x12 targets a cinch.

All in all, after DD dropping the price of these rifles, its quite a bargain considering the build quality and extras they added in. Its significantly lighter than my LMT, smoother recoil than my Scar 17, above average accuracy for a battle rifle, and maybe if I get some time, I will toss my ATACR 4-16 on there and see how good I can get the groups on it. I bought it as a mid range rifle I could do anything with, and it fits that role very well. Another fun fact is the BDC on the Leupold CMR762 matched up PERFECTLY at 550 and 750 yards using the Magtech 168s. I even let my coworker run it, and him having never shot long range before, I told him hold it between the 5 and 6, then hold just to the left of the target, and while he missed the first round, the 9 rounds after were all hits.

The only thing I wish it had was either a gas block switch for suppressed/unsuppressed, or an infinitely adjustable gas block so I can just dial the gas down to where I want it and deal with a bit more pressure on the suppressed side, knowing that at any time I can grab it and use it, where as now, I have to set it back to unsuppressed every time I finish shooting, as it will not cycle without the can in that mode.
    trying to figure out where to store the/an Allen wrench... did you replace the DD pistol grip w/ the magpul, or was the magpul you're referencing a VFG? any other ideas or recommendations on where to keep an Allen wrench on this rifle so it's always with you?

trying to figure out where to store the/an Allen wrench... did you replace the DD pistol grip w/ the magpul, or was the magpul you're referencing a VFG? any other ideas or recommendations on where to keep an Allen wrench on this rifle so it's always with you?
    I put a magpul moe grip on it and stored the Allen wrench in there. I was debating making something permanent where I could just adjust it with my fingers, but I only shoot suppressed anyway, and just leave it in suppressed mode.