• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro - 6.5 Creedmoor for first PRS gun??

SNK

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2022
Central Coast
Hello all,

I was wondering if the Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor would be a good choice for PSR matches as my first long-range rifle? I am new to the world of long-range shooting and want to dive in headfirst. I am learning all that i can and getting ready to purchase my first real long-range rifle. I live on the central coast and recently found a place in San Luis Obispo, California that is pretty close that holds matches.

Here is some background information that may be helpful for the guys who have a ton of experience in PRS. I am an avid hunter (White tail) with a little over 15 years of experience shooting rifles. I mostly hunt from ranges of 100 out to 350 max. I currently compete in a variety of shooting disciplines to include Sporting clay/5 stand/skeet competitions. I also like to dabble in pistol and AR competitions but nowhere near as much. I grew up around guns and am pretty good at a wide variety shooting events. The long-range shooting on the other hand I have not engaged in.

From my understanding of the rules, for open class you cannot exceed the $2500 factory price for a firearm and same to be said about the optic. Money is not particularly an issue, but I also don't like to spend unnecessary money if I dont have to. Sounds weird but i almost feel guilty when spending money haha idk why. Anyways, for those of you out there who compete in these events, would this riffle suffice? Also, i know this might sound stupid but i love the way this rifle looks and that also plays a part in my decision for this setup. For this specific rifle, they come in varying sizes, can anyone recommend a specific barrel size?

If there is anyone who competes at this location and would like to meet up at the next event to show me the ropes i would greatly appreciate it. Lastly, any insight on things to look out for would be appreciated as well.

-Kaz

You would be well served to head over to the Precision Rifle Blog and do some reading. While somewhat dated in some instances, you might find the "What the Pros Use" series insightful. You'd be even better served to head to a match and take a course before buying anything. If you're serious about shooting Production, you'll benefit a lot from the experience.

You're money would likely be much better spent elsewhere, and I wouldn't bother about trying to stay within the mold of production class (you'll see why as get into shooting prs matches). In the $2500 range, you could build up a great setup with proven components.
Something like:
Bighorn Origin, Defiance Tenacity, ARC Nucleus. Personally I'd spring for an Impact or Lone Peak if you can swing it.
Proof Prefit barrel in your preferred caliber
Trigger Tech Trigger
Muzzle Brake of your choice (ACE, APA, A419, MDT are all good options)
Stock/Chassis of your choice. They're getting expensive, but don't be afraid of going with a used one on hear to save some $$. (MDT, Manners, XLR, MPA, KRG)
Putting a rifle together seems much more difficult than it actually is.

If you don't want to build it up yourself, I'd say look at the GA Precision PPR rifle or MPA PMR Pro.

From my understanding of the rules, for open class you cannot exceed the $2500 factory price for a firearm and same to be said about the optic. Money is not particularly an issue, but I also don't like to spend unnecessary money if I dont have to. Sounds weird but i almost feel guilty when spending money haha idk why. Anyways, for those of you out there who compete in these events, would this riffle suffice? Also, i know this might sound stupid but i love the way this rifle looks and that also plays a part in my decision for this setup. For this specific rifle, they come in varying sizes, can anyone recommend a specific barrel size?

-Kaz

That is not Open. That is Production. Don't worry about that. Buy what you can afford and like.

The DD Pro will work to get you in the sport and shooting as will others in that price range mentioned or building your own also.

Reactions: bbhank
Fuck Daniel Defense as a company and that turd of a rifle. There's a lot of better options and I wouldn't pay attention to production class rules either because you still finish where you finish, for open you can use literally whatever you want, I've shot a PRS match with a $17K AI PSR.

@Hoyt7mm hit the nail on the head. Follow that advice and you'll be golden. If you don't want to bolt it together yourself places like Altus will do it for you. If you want a turn key factory rifle, AI ATX is what I'd buy but the Seekins rifles and Bergara pro series are great too.

Reactions: Gil P.
You're money would likely be much better spent elsewhere, and I wouldn't bother about trying to stay within the mold of production class (you'll see why as get into shooting prs matches). In the $2500 range, you could build up a great setup with proven components.
Something like:
Bighorn Origin, Defiance Tenacity, ARC Nucleus. Personally I'd spring for an Impact or Lone Peak if you can swing it.
Proof Prefit barrel in your preferred caliber
Trigger Tech Trigger
Muzzle Brake of your choice (ACE, APA, A419, MDT are all good options)
Stock/Chassis of your choice. They're getting expensive, but don't be afraid of going with a used one on hear to save some $$. (MDT, Manners, XLR, MPA, KRG)
Putting a rifle together seems much more difficult than it actually is.

If you don't want to build it up yourself, I'd say look at the GA Precision PPR rifle or MPA PMR Pro.
Thank you for the insight, I started to look at the MPA PMR Pro rifle. On their website, they have the Pro and the Pro II. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between them? I cannot seem to identify the difference. I also watched a video that said the color could be changed and have an addition folding stock. I cannot find that on their website either. I also reached out to the company to see if they offer military discount but have yet to hear back.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Fuck Daniel Defense as a company and that turd of a rifle. There's a lot of better options and I wouldn't pay attention to production class rules either because you still finish where you finish, for open you can use literally whatever you want, I've shot a PRS match with a $17K AI PSR.

@Hoyt7mm hit the nail on the head. Follow that advice and you'll be golden. If you don't want to bolt it together yourself places like Altus will do it for you. If you want a turn key factory rifle, AI ATX is what I'd buy but the Seekins rifles and Bergara pro series are great too.
Would you mind enlightening me on why Daniel Defense is being regarded as a turd rifle? I'm honestly wondering. All of the reviews that i have watched / read have given it praise (besides the bolt being slopy when fully opened, which they claim helps with "dirt"). While obviously not being the best, there tends to better rifles as you go up in price.

Thank you for the insight, I started to look at the MPA PMR Pro rifle. On their website, they have the Pro and the Pro II. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between them? I cannot seem to identify the difference. I also watched a video that said the color could be changed and have an addition folding stock. I cannot find that on their website either. I also reached out to the company to see if they offer military discount but have yet to hear back.
Looks like the Pro comes with a muzzle brake from MPA. The Pro II doesn't come with a brake, but does have a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger instead of the Special.

In regards to why not DD - The bolt throw and binding of the action are a big part. Second would be having a functional, but not really optimal chassis design for prs type shooting.

@SNK Company politics aside, after shooting 4 of those rifles they are just not the same quality as other guns occupying that same price space, particularly the action. However, DD has put a lot of money into getting people to shill for it.

As @Hoyt7mm said, bindy, crappy feeling actions and from what I have seen they dont really break in and get much better.

Look into the Seekins HIT rifle, MPA, or some of the Bergaras.

If you just love the DD, buy it, shoot it a ton and prove everyone wrong about it.

Last edited:

@SNK have you looked in the PX? Tons of good options for match rifles in there. Are you set on 6.5 Creed? Something like this wouldn't be bad but many other options in the PX too.

@SNK have you looked in the PX? Tons of good options for match rifles in there. Are you set on 6.5 Creed? Something like this wouldn't be bad but many other options in the PX too.

I have not, I have narrowed it down now to the MPR Pro I from BPA, I'll have to go with a black barrel and the flat dark earth color to match the DD i so much very like. I have recently seen a photo of MPA Barrels with stickers on them, do you know if from factory they come with stickers? i would not want one on there... haha

So after much research, i think i narrowed it down to the MPA PMR Pro Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I see that the side of the barrel has a temperature strip? I understand that this is to see how hot the barrel gets during firing. Does this strip hold up pretty well? Can it be removed? Any problems ?

I've never fired a round out of the DD.......however.....I was at a local store and handled the DD Delta 5 and Sig Cross literally back to back.

The comparison wasn't even close in my opinion with the Sig Cross being better in every single way.

Price difference was pretty substantial too...with DD D5 being several hundred more dollars.

Factor in the Sig Cross action being able to properly and safely deal with .277 Fury as well....seals the deal.

I've never fired a round out of the DD.......however.....I was at a local store and handled the DD Delta 5 and Sig Cross literally back to back.

The comparison wasn't even close in my opinion with the Sig Cross being better in every single way.

Price difference was pretty substantial too...with DD D5 being several hundred more dollars.

Factor in the Sig Cross action being able to properly and safely deal with .277 Fury as well....seals the deal.
Thanks for your input. I think i have settled on the MPA MPR Pro!

Yes, listen to this guy. I had some range time with that DD rifle and it was the biggest piece of shit I've ever used. FTF abound, cycling the action felt like shit. A Remington 700 would be a better choice.

If you've got the money, go full custom.