• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daniel Defense Delta 5

race_bannon

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2019
TN
I did a search of the forum for the Delta 5 but couldn't find much. I guess because there aren't any out in the wild?

I am getting into the bolt gun world and I'm trying to decide which rifle to start off with. I have been shooting for roughly 15 years and I know what I want out of what I get but I don't know how to go about it. Should I start with something like a Ruger Precision Rifle, a Begara, or is the DD rifle I'm eyeing the way to go?

What I want: a .308 that is capable of printing 1 MOA or better, 20" barrel, something with M-LOK for attachments, and very solid stock. The DD comes from the factory with all of this plus a Timney trigger. The Begara checks all those boxes but I would most likely put a Magpul PRS stock on it. The Ruger rifle seems to be the least expensive to get into, but I feel like I would have to put money into to get it where I want.

I have decided on the Leupold MK5 5-25x56 Tremor3 for an optic.

Any feedback or opinions on where/how I should start would be very appreciated.

Reactions: Tmm01
for $2000+ ....

a lot of people on here are going to tell you that you can build something better for the same price.

Origin/Nucleus action for $850-900

Prefit barrel $350-500

KRG bravo $350 or less. (you have a little money left over to shop around for different chassis/stocks)

the bravo does everything the DD stock does. and looks way better.

Timney $170-180

BTW - if you shop around you can save a few bucks on all the above mentioned items.

i got a savage prefit from xcaliber (works with the actions i mentioned) for $280 when they ran a one day sale

you can get used triggers all day for $150-160

ive seen new bravos go for $310 shipped from vendors. used for even less

and assuming you get a barrel from a reputable company - and run good ammo or handloads. you will be well under your "1 MOA"

and now that you've done with all rem 700 style parts (chassis/action/etc) you can change and upgrade very easily instead of being stuck with DD proprietary stuff. esp using shouldered prefits or savage style prefits

you won't backing yourself into a corner

Last edited:
for $2000+ ....

a lot of people on here are going to tell you that you can build something better for the same price.

Origin/Nucleus action for $850-900

Prefit barrel $350-500

KRG bravo $350 or less. (you have a little money left over to shop around for different chassis/stocks)

the bravo does everything the DD stock does. and looks way better.

Timney $170-180

BTW - if you shop around you can save a few bucks on all the above mentioned items.

i got a savage prefit from xcaliber (works with the actions i mentioned) for $280 when they ran a one day sale

you can get used triggers all day for $150-160

ive seen new bravos go for $310 shipped from vendors. used for even less

and assuming you get a barrel from a reputable company - and run good ammo or handloads. you will be well under your "1 MOA"

and now that you've done with all rem 700 style parts (chassis/action/etc) you can change and upgrade very easily instead of being stuck with DD proprietary stuff. esp using shouldered prefits or savage style prefits

you won't backing yourself into a corner
Thank you for all the wisdom. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I plan on testing with match grade ammo to find out what the barrel likes then shoot that for the life of the rifle. You say "I've seen new bravos go for $310 shipped", what is a "bravo"? Thank you

Thank you for all the wisdom. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I plan on testing with match grade ammo to find out what the barrel likes then shoot that for the life of the rifle. You say "I've seen new bravos go for $310 shipped", what is a "bravo"? Thank you

The KRG Bravo is a "stock/chassis" that is VERY affordable but many has features well above it's price point. they are fantastic

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/krg-bravo-chassis/

as you can see it looks very similar to the stock the daniel defense uses.

it has an aluminum backbone - so you just drop you barrel and action in and go shoot.

it has spacers to adjust length of pull, and tool-less adjustable cheek piece

Reactions: race_bannon
the route i gave as an example is just that - an example. it's not the only way to go.

my point is - i think there are better options than spending $2k+ on the DD

the ashbury would be a solid choice.

here is a pic of my rifle when it was configured like i was suggesting.

IMG_1901.JPG

I second the KRG Bravo stock. Much better than the Magpul Hunter 700 Stock in my opinion! The Bergara and Ruger Precision rifle should also be able to do what you want no problem, but the Ruger is a bit bulky and you cannot change out it's stock.
With your budget I would either build my own as others have stated, with a Bighorn Origin, or American Rifle Co. Nucleus, or a Regular ol' 700 action etc... And put a prefit Criterion barrel on there for around $500. Use a Bravo stock and youre good to go! A rifle that gives up nothing to the more expensive customs, while still being 100% customizeable if you want to upgrade or change anything in the future.

You could also simply buy a Bergara and swap the stock for a Bravo or rock the stock it comes with.
Or go the Tikka CTR route. They make Bravos for Tikka too, but you lose out on Remington 700 aftermarket compatability.

Dont forget to pick up some AICS mags.

Oh and for Triggers, the Triggertech Primary 700 is my favorite affordable trigger. It's about $120, adjusts from 1.5 to 3 pounds and is a rock solid option.

Last edited:
Would also recommend the Bravo, love mine. They're typically found for $340 or so, and usually free shipping. I think I picked mine up from Brownell's with a 10% off and free shipping, so it was right around the $310 mark w/o tax.

In the AR world, garage gunsmithing is not uncommon and I adhere to TDP specs and defer to quality over price. Is the bolt gun world the same or should I buy all my parts and have a gun smith assemble the rifle? Thank you for the advice.

In the AR world, garage gunsmithing is not uncommon and I adhere to TDP specs and defer to quality over price. Is the bolt gun world the same or should I buy all my parts and have a gun smith assemble the rifle? Thank you for the advice.
if you have the tools, there's no reason you can't assemble it yourself

only 'issues' :headspacing if you dont get a shouldered barrel. bedding if getting stock w/o minichassis. trigger timing

if you have the tools, there's no reason you can't assemble it yourself

only 'issues' :headspacing if you dont get a shouldered barrel. bedding if getting stock w/o minichassis. trigger timing
Good to know, thanks for clearing that up

$2k for a DD spr....lolz

OP, I would either build something as suggested or get a Tikka T3x Tac or Bergara B17 variant. There is a .308 Tikka Tac A1 for sale in here for around $1300 which is excellent. The Tac A1 trigger is also exceptional and can be adjusted down below 2 lbs.
It seems the custom built or Bergara is the way to go. I appreciate all the input from the group so far.

I really like the Ashbury m700 Sniper's Hide edition for the price

Reactions: stilesg57
I’d also toss Howa onto that list while you’re researching. Great rifles at great prices. Wouldn’t put it in the same category as the Ashbury or a custom build, but definitely a competitor with the Bergaras and Tikkas.

Ya, I’d cross off anything Daniel defense for precision rifle. Maybe we are wrong and it will pan out better, but I’m betting not. Will likely sell a lot as they are a big name and have good marketing (which is great, I hope any manufacturer sells a lot).

But as others have said, you can stretch your $2k into a far better rig.

Ya, I’d cross off anything Daniel defense for precision rifle. Maybe we are wrong and it will pan out better, but I’m betting not. Will likely sell a lot as they are a big name and have good marketing (which is great, I hope any manufacturer sells a lot).

they'll get a lot of guys who run their ARs

i've had one of the Mk12s. and it was a shooter for sure. this was years and years ago

There’s a lot of slop in the bolt and it really easy to bind up the bolt.
Have you shot one yet or are you speaking from a trade show perspective? Please don't mistake my curiosity for anything other than just that. I would love to know if this is a range issue as well as just a "finger banging" issue. Thank you for the feedback

I will be as transparent as I feel comfortable without giving up names and specific prices BUT I am able to get into the DD Delta 5 for ROUGHLY what a Bergara B14 HMR is going for. I have an inside track to get one but I also am not emotionally or in any other way attached to the Delta 5. I am actually eyeing the APO SH M700, that rifle looks amazing and seems to check all the boxes I'm looking for. It will be some time before I actually get a rifle as I am just getting into the game and wanted to set a price point not to go over for budgets and find the best option of "Buy once, cry once" within that budget.

I’d also toss Howa onto that list while you’re researching. Great rifles at great prices. Wouldn’t put it in the same category as the Ashbury or a custom build, but definitely a competitor with the Bergaras and Tikkas.

Reactions: StatesboroBlues
Regardless of what price you get it for other than free, I’d still go semi custom route for 2k ish or get a Howa bravo or grab a tikka and drop it in a KRG bravo for 1k ish than the DD.

Have you shot one yet or are you speaking from a trade show perspective? Please don't mistake my curiosity for anything other than just that. I would love to know if this is a range issue as well as just a "finger banging" issue. Thank you for the feedback
I have not shot one, but was playing with one the other day. I think if it was in the 1k price point there would be more consideration for it, but at over 2k, it’s way over priced in my opinion. Like others have said, build a rifle. It’ll be a lot better and have a better resale value if you ever need to get rid of it.

I will be as transparent as I feel comfortable without giving up names and specific prices BUT I am able to get into the DD Delta 5 for ROUGHLY what a Bergara B14 HMR is going for.

Honestly then I’d get the DDD5 man. We all agree it’s not a $2k rifle, but odds are it’s a damn good $1k rifle, and if it’s not or you don’t like it for any other reason you can always sell it and you won’t lose a penny if you’re getting into it that far below market. I’m getting some flavor of Howa soon for a decent non-custom LR rig and I love their guns, but if I was offered that kind of a deal on the Delta 5 I’d take her for a spin first. The Bergara and Howa and Tikka will still be waiting, as of course will the customs.

Honestly then I’d get the DDD5 man. We all agree it’s not a $2k rifle, but odds are it’s a damn good $1k rifle, and if it’s not or you don’t like it for any other reason you can always sell it and you won’t lose a penny if you’re getting into it that far below market. I’m getting some flavor of Howa soon for a decent non-custom LR rig and I love their guns, but if I was offered that kind of a deal on the Delta 5 I’d take her for a spin first. The Bergara and Howa and Tikka will still be waiting, as of course will the customs.

I’m not a fan of trying the first bolt gun from a gas gun company, but I agree.

If the price is right you have the itch, scratch it. Don’t like it, sell it for your money back and keep going.

Check out the Alamo Precision Rifles APR Gen 2 action. I picked one up for the introductory $750. Thinking about a bugnut and pre-fit from Southern Precision Rifles.... but I want this action chambered in 30 Sherman Magnum (300 PRC S.I.) so I may be out of luck with that route.....

I will be as transparent as I feel comfortable without giving up names and specific prices BUT I am able to get into the DD Delta 5 for ROUGHLY what a Bergara B14 HMR is going for.

With that sort of price break it would be really hard for me not to give the DD rifle a try.

The $2000-2200 retail price of the Delta 5 is steep for what you get, considering some of the other options on the market. Either building your own with actions like the Origin, or buying a complete factory gun aimed at PRS Production will likely get you a better value.

But for Bergara HMR money (under a grand) the Delta 5 is an absolute no-brainer.

Last edited:
With that sort of price break it would be really hard for me not to give the DD rifle a try.

The $2000-2200 retail price of the Delta 5 is steep for what you get, considering some of the other options on the market. Either building your own with actions like the Origin, or buying a complete factory gun aimed at PRS Production will likely get you a better value.

But for Bergara HMR money (under a grand) the Delta 5 is an absolute no-brainer.
I think I might give it a spin. I probably should have mentioned up front that I am getting a very steep break on pricing. As mentioned before I could move it for cost if I don't like it, decide to go a different direction

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
True, and if you ever find that you dont like it, you can always trade and sell rifles here. Ive done lots of transactions here on the hide! If you can though, I highly suggest trying to find the guns locally and feel them before buying (if possible).
Ive saved a lot of money by handling actions before buying them. For example Ive found the Havak bolt not to my liking (the one i felt was an early model, it was rough and bindy), while the Bergara bolt was smoother and hard to bind up, helped that decision for me. Did the same with the Impact and Lone Peak actions etc... Going to a local match and politely asking to check out people's rifles can often answer any question you had about the action. They are almost always more than willing to talk with you and help you out! It sure helped me out!

Check out the Alamo Precision Rifles APR Gen 2 action. I picked one up for the introductory $750. Thinking about a bugnut and pre-fit from Southern Precision Rifles.... but I want this action chambered in 30 Sherman Magnum (300 PRC S.I.) so I may be out of luck with that route.....
I looked at the APR Gen II and it seems like a good deal. With a barrel, trigger, and KGR Bravo I'm under $2k

True, and if you ever find that you dont like it, you can always trade and sell rifles here. Ive done lots of transactions here on the hide! If you can though, I highly suggest trying to find the guns locally and feel them before buying (if possible).
Ive saved a lot of money by handling actions before buying them. For example Ive found the Havak bolt not to my liking (the one i felt was an early model, it was rough and bindy), while the Bergara bolt was smoother and hard to bind up, helped that decision for me. Did the same with the Impact and Lone Peak actions etc... Going to a local match and politely asking to check out people's rifles can often answer any question you had about the action. They are almost always more than willing to talk with you and help you out! It sure helped me out!
Haven't thought about that part. I could go to my local Academy or gun shop and just see what actions feel like.

Like you mentioned a match would be a good place to go and get information too. I would imagine have a complete setup with scope and bipod would also help with the decision making process

I shot a Delta 5 last month and now that I am seeing them for $1699-1750, that seems inline. Then again, I bought a Steyr Scout Jeff Cooper when they came out for $2400 and have never touched it other than cleaning. The new Remington 700 Gen 2 R5 with a Triggertech and mount puts this about 300 more for my budget. Glad I found this website, so many big budget users to get real feedback.

I think I might give it a spin. I probably should have mentioned up front that I am getting a very steep break on pricing. As mentioned before I could move it for cost if I don't like it, decide to go a different direction

I think it would be worth it to try it out. I think the main complaint about the rifle is that it is ugly. Other than that they seem to be reliable, consistent shooters. I still think it falls into the HMR, Tikka (plus stock), Howa class of rifles, so paying twice as much for the DD when compared to the HMR isn't easy to do, but if you are able to get one for around the same price, I think it would definitely be worth your time to try one out. I personally wouldn't pay 2k

Reactions: SonicBurlap
For a PRS game-specific rifle, I think the Delta 5 is going to limit you. The stock probably won't take more than a medium palma barrel and trying to open it up could be messy. The forend is also sloped quite a bit and I would think would not be optimal for shooting from a bag / barricade. It needs an ARCA rail, and IMO the trigger should be swapped out for something that can go lighter.

If you plan on just packing it around and shooting some stuff for fun, it's plenty good for that. But if you want a rifle that will continue to be competitive as you grow as a shooter, I would look elsewhere.

For a PRS game-specific rifle, I think the Delta 5 is going to limit you. The stock probably won't take more than a medium palma barrel and trying to open it up could be messy. The forend is also sloped quite a bit and I would think would not be optimal for shooting from a bag / barricade. It needs an ARCA rail, and IMO the trigger should be swapped out for something that can go lighter.

If you plan on just packing it around and shooting some stuff for fun, it's plenty good for that. But if you want a rifle that will continue to be competitive as you grow as a shooter, I would look elsewhere.
Would you suggest the 700 Gen 2 R5 for $849 and just replace the trigger with a trigger tech and do the larue mounts and stock cheek? I figured it up to about $1478 vs the Delta 5? I will be using it for hunting and some mild target to 600 yards which is the longest range I have.

I've been looking into the Howa 1500 Bravo and HCR. The Sniper's Hide APO looks awesome and I'm still toying with gettting a barreled action and looking for a chassis. I'm looking for something to get into long rang/precision shooting and would transition VERY easily into competition shooting.

Good point. What is the purpose of this rifle @race_bannon ? With you saying you wanted a 20" .308, I just kinda assumed it wasn't intended to be a competition rifle. I'm not sure where they thought calling the DD the official rifle of PRS was a good idea.

Also, the HMR (or BMP) stock is already a pretty good stock, so if you ended up going the Bergara route, you would be doing yourself a disservice swapping the factory stock out for the magpul. It would just be money wasted. When it comes to people just getting into precision rifles, I always suggest bergara. My factory HMR (not even pro) shoots sub .5moa if I am on top of my shit and about .8moa if I'm having a really bad day. I have had about a very small number of rounds fail to eject but its nothing worth complaining about.

If this is your first bolt action, I think the same concepts apply here as in the AR world. Buy your first rifle as a factory piece or have someone experienced put it together for you. Learn a little more about the system and how it works and go for a build somewhere down the line.

I've been looking into the Howa 1500 Bravo and HCR. The Sniper's Hide APO looks awesome and I'm still toying with gettting a barreled action and looking for a chassis. I'm looking for something to get into long rang/precision shooting and would transition VERY easily into competition shooting.

I don't do much formal competition so other people should probably chime in here.... but would it be a big mistake to buy a 20" .308 with competition in mind? I just feel like that is setting you up for failure when you would likely be competing with some guys that already have a little more experience and on top of that are shooting flatter rounds.

Good point. What is the purpose of this rifle @race_bannon ? With you saying you wanted a 20" .308, I just kinda assumed it wasn't intended to be a competition rifle. I'm not sure where they thought calling the DD the official rifle of PRS was a good idea.

Also, the HMR (or BMP) stock is already a pretty good stock, so if you ended up going the Bergara route, you would be doing yourself a disservice swapping the factory stock out for the magpul. It would just be money wasted. When it comes to people just getting into precision rifles, I always suggest bergara. My factory HMR (not even pro) shoots sub .5moa if I am on top of my shit and about .8moa if I'm having a really bad day. I have had about a very small number of rounds fail to eject but its nothing worth complaining about.

If this is your first bolt action, I think the same concepts apply here as in the AR world. Buy your first rifle as a factory piece or have someone experienced put it together for you. Learn a little more about the system and how it works and go for a build somewhere down the line.
I wouldn't change the Bergara, if I were to get the Howa HCR I would replace the LuthAR stock as many people have mentioned it is sloppy. I do like the Bergara's out of the box accuracy. I think you're right about getting a factory rifle, I don't know the first thing about bolt guns other than how to operate them.
The purpose of this rifle would be to get into precision shooting. The novelty of shooting things really far away with precision and intention is what is drawing me to this discipline. I have always been interested in long range/precision over 3-gun, USPSA, IDP, any of that. I would like to be able to hunt with this rifle but the primary role will be comp/rec shooting. I'd be okay with a 24" barrel but that would be the longest I would like to go I think

Reactions: StatesboroBlues
The Delta 5 is a decent setup for hunting, I thought it had a nice trigger but comparing it to the other choices is tough. Everyone here is aiming to gain their knowledge and skills, I enjoy hunting with mine and the occasional 600 yard range dinging gongs so I might do the Gen 2 5R w Trigger 700 so if I want to upgrade it's easier for my limited smithing abilities. Howa 1500 is very tempting though.

The Delta 5 is a decent setup for hunting, I thought it had a nice trigger but comparing it to the other choices is tough. Everyone here is aiming to gain their knowledge and skills, I enjoy hunting with mine and the occasional 600 yard range dinging gongs so I might do the Gen 2 5R w Trigger 700 so if I want to upgrade it's easier for my limited smithing abilities. Howa 1500 is very tempting though.
The Howa Bravo 1500 or Howa HCR is really hard to pass up. Either one of those options I think would be great for what I'm wanting. I'm sure the DD rifle is great, but the whole reason for this post was to see if there was something comparable or objectively better for the price. I appreciate your input, do you enjoy your DD rifle? I would hate to save for something and turn out not even enjoying the purchase

Reactions: stilesg57
I really liked it but, it just did not wow me though it was very well fit with a nightforce scope. I own three other Daniel Defense rifles and their customer service is awesome like Schmidt & Bender awesome so, I am really wanting to handle the Howa before I make my final choice. FYI I just checked out the Sniper's Hide rifles, wow just wow. This site makes you want to buy a barreled action and just assemble exactly what you want.

Is that the model Ashbury? How much do those run?
The Ashbury is turn key and very appealing, and from what I have gathered on this forum a VERY good value for the price at $2000. A fully adjustable chassis, Remington 700 action that has been verified sub-MOA, threaded barrel, and pretty much anything you would need to start and I imagine stay competitive a few years into any PRS match.