• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Danners+Tough toe= Well worth it

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
I recently bought a pair of Danner Striker 2 for a discounted price due to the discontinuation of the brown color. I received them for $90 and took them out Pheasant opener. The boots were super comfortable, but the problem is the leather is pretty soft and after walking around 5 miles in thick woodlands, hitting a few barbwire fences, walking all over fallen trees, etc the leather was showing wear on the toes already. I've read reviews on the Striker 2 and they were saying that they are not the most durable boots.

I then went on searching about how to fix this problem. I don't care if my boots get scuffed up but after one hunt they are showing some wear there needs to be fixing. I was torn between returning them or finding a solution. After a little research I found out that my local Red Wing Store would apply some Tough Toe for $28. The toes are now covered with a rubber substance which will last a lot longer taking on the brush cover the pheasants love. I haven't worn them yet, but looks like my new solution to my work boots and future boots for hunting.

The look of them is not the best, but all I care is it gets the job done. Kinda like a work rifle.... Here are some pics of the boots after.

Edit: After posting the pics... The colors blend a lot better then the pic shows.
DSCI0002.jpg

DSCI0001.jpg

Re: Danners+Tough toe= Well worth it

It's great you found a fix. Danners are the best for what you pay. I happened to pick up a pair of the Pronghorns on closeout 1/2 price and take them on my bird hunts and fishing trips. They're very comfortable and built to last. Well worth the money.

Re: Danners+Tough toe= Well worth it

A friend turned me onto some stuff at my local work wear store called Tough Toe, I got it for my work boots Im a diesel mechanic and I go through the toes a lot. The stuff is black and is kind of abrasive, it looks like it would work really well for texturing a rifle stock too if its sanded a bit. I think you get it at boot barn too. It comes with enough to do a couple pairs of boots depending how thick you apply. Or a a pair of boots and a stock or two.