• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dark necks on annealed cases

Cole440

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2021
Southern California
The two with bullets in them are from my last batch of cases. The three without bullets are from the current batch.

I haven't seen the darker brown/black color before. I recently switched to a hotter torch, but also changed my annealing time to compensate.

Looks like the heat line on the cases is in about the same spot. I'm not at all worried about the integrity of the brass. I just thought I'd see if this is normal/common?

IMG_3539.jpeg

Reactions: MountainHombre
Could the brass have stopped rotating while the torch was on it ?

If I remember correctly the dark color is from it being in the flame a little too long or the neck had lube on it, but you don’t have that blue heat line on the brass. What kind of gas are you using?

Regular propane out of a 20lb bottle and a swirl flame style torch

I had wet tumbled these cases with pins, lemishine, and some simple green wash and wax before I annealed them. That might have contributed a little. Or maybe I just got the necks a little too hot.

I'm not worried about the bodies being soft though and the necks sized and are holding tension just fine, so either way I'm going to shoot them and see how it goes!

Reactions: Dolomite
Regular propane out of a 20lb bottle and a swirl flame style torch

I had wet tumbled these cases with pins, lemishine, and some simple green wash and wax before I annealed them. That might have contributed a little. Or maybe I just got the necks a little too hot.

I'm not worried about the bodies being soft though and the necks sized and are holding tension just fine, so either way I'm going to shoot them and see how it goes!
Since you're annealing after cleaning, I'd say it's residual cleaning solutions that are being burned.

If you're going to wet tumble, I'd suggest you do that after you've annealed; since the annealing process always leaves a somewhat rough oxidation coating of the outside and inside surfaces of the necks which can interfere with consistent seating. I always anneal before cleaning for this reason.

Reactions: Dolomite
The two with bullets in them are from my last batch of cases. The three without bullets are from the current batch.

I haven't seen the darker brown/black color before. I recently switched to a hotter torch, but also changed my annealing time to compensate.

Looks like the heat line on the cases is in about the same spot. I'm not at all worried about the integrity of the brass. I just thought I'd see if this is normal/common?

View attachment 8357963

Not so fast Kimosabe, by that logic I can crank my oven to 550 and cook my turkey in half the time. My point? You have more intense flame at the neck and shorter time for the heat to get the shoulder to temp.

Since you're annealing after cleaning, I'd say it's residual cleaning solutions that are being burned.

If you're going to wet tumble, I'd suggest you do that after you've annealed; since the annealing process always leaves a somewhat rough oxidation coating of the outside and inside surfaces of the necks which can interfere with consistent seating. I always anneal before cleaning for this reason.
Good thoughts! I hadn't really considered that. I could flip flop the cleaning step. I dip my cases in dry lube before mandrel sizing the necks so I'm not super worried about the seating force (that being if they are totally clean that should be ok).

Not so fast Kimosabe, by that logic I can crank my oven to 550 and cook my turkey in half the time. My point? You have more intense flame at the neck and shorter time for the heat to get the shoulder to temp.
Excellent comparison. The reason I didn't really suspect that is that the new flame is much broader and washes over the case a lot more than the pencil flame did. But you still make a good point.