• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft darkest before dawn?

marduk185

take my karma boom
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
tantric thrust
so there i was shivering to death in a treestand and noticing as im sure many of you have that it seems strange to me the timing. maybe some one can explain the meteoricals of why it feels comfortable for an hour before light but soon as that sun starts in on the horizon the temp drops like 20 degrees for an hour or 2. i could be exagerating slightly but its too significant of a change to be my imagination.
and ythen it makes me wonder does the density altitude drop as well? or would that be a rise? my hillbilly frozen mind aint computin. thanks fellas.

Re: darkest before dawn?

Your best bet is to check your thermometer while you're out and see if the temperature really does drop or if it just feels like it does. I know exactly what you mean though, just as you anticipate the warm rays of the sun it gets even colder!

During the cold months here in Appalachia, if you are up high, you notice the thermals kick in right at daylight or just after...the air is moving so even on a still morning it's a slight "wind chill" effect.

Same thing in the evening just before dark, and you are down low......you can feel the temps drop FAST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drop in temp = drop in DA. </div></div>

great so im shiverin and my trajectory gets worse...

I remember alot of field problems when it would be freezing at standto. I would hate getting moving at that time. Awful nasty morning... Where are you BOB?!

I believe your experiencing an anomoli known a "vaginal chilling"

I have felt this lots of times in the tree stands. Right before the sun comes up I am filling pretty good about myself and weathering the cold. Right after sun rise I start to get the chills and start whining about how cold I am. Just praying for a buck to come out early so I could get out of this freezing tree stand. I didn't know it was a weather issue I just thought, man I am such a Wuss because I am COLD.

dont know about the clitoral influence here but full body convulsions nearly vibrating ones trembling person out of a tree is pretty girlie i guess. of course one might argue that the whining isnt really about being cold but rather being so against being hot the whole rest of the time to a fault that id rather be hypothermic for an hour or two to avoid wearing or carrying extra shit. maybe its being hardcore ninja? what doesnt kill us makes us more uber tactical fabulous right?

This was an interesting topic and learning experience until the last post. I do not understand how things turned int this post! Lol

The sun starts heating all things. That heat starts to rise, drawing the coldest air along with it. Does this most everywhere on this rock.

You can always spot a good 4 legged stalk hunter, by which way he's stalking a hill, given the time of day, that seems to have no wind.

I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately, BUT I have taken a meteorology class.

As soon as the sun's rays make contact with the earth, warming begins. The actual coldest time is 0-5 minutes after sunrise, because things are still cooling from the night before the sun can warm everything. It's so small of a difference that you wouldn't feel it though.
-Dan

Question then,... Your stalk hunting the west side of a mountain in the early AM, what direction are you walking, do to thermo's.

Gunfighter,

You would be walking east and keeping the wind in your face. As for the thermo's would pull the cold air to the west as the sun come up over the top of the ridge.

Ken

edit: Miss type walking west but meet walking east

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunfighter,

You would be walking west and keeping the wind in your face. As for the thermo's would pull the cold air to the west as the sun come up over the top of the ridge.

Ken </div></div>
You want the wind in your face correct, but stop an think how thermo winds travel.

Find a Mountain an place flags or marking tapes where you can see them in the AM an PM. Place one on top an bottom at the very edge, then one in the middle. Watch what they do during calm weather. The middle one is the truth Sayer.
Smells an sound, will normally out a stalk hunter long before the Animal is alerted his movement.

Gunfighter,

I mint to say east in lieu of west above. I have a feeling in that example that the wind would flow down the west slope as the sun rasied over the top in the AM. Not sure as I have never been in the mountain terrion very much.

Ken

General is, Western slope AM, hunt up, PM down. Eastern slope, is mostly the reverse. Both are time of day and, environment dependent, as well as the quarry your after.

i thought the initial temperature drop was due to the sun starting to evaporate the morning moisture (dew) causing a cooling effect, working along with the thermals.

i'm not a meteorologist, but the ones that are said it was going to rain today... warm and dry here today in NEPA.

I thought the same thing about the moisture! Stand, down low, it doesn't matter it always feels colder when the sun says hello. I have to read that weather link now...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bjmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the same thing about the moisture! Stand, down low, it doesn't matter it always feels colder when the sun says hello. I have to read that weather link now... </div></div>

It's true that it may FEEL colder, in the same way that wind-chill etc. works, but the temperature is actually rising as soon as the sun's rays start to hit the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">General is, Western slope AM, hunt up, PM down. Eastern slope, is mostly the reverse. Both are time of day and, environment dependent, as well as the quarry your after. </div></div>

so a "sun in your eyes" strategy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">General is, Western slope AM, hunt up, PM down. Eastern slope, is mostly the reverse. Both are time of day and, environment dependent, as well as the quarry your after. </div></div>

so a "sun in your eyes" strategy? </div></div>
No,... unless you know the trick it's hard to see much with the sun in your eyes, let alone catch any movement at all . You are hunting a slope that is for the most part in full shade. The thermo's an your quarry will tell you which way to hunt.

A good stalker of animals that are hunted often wants to stalk across the wind. Animals are watching downwind more than across.

Have you noticed that it will also get a little brighter right before sunset? The temperature shift is pretty prevalent most everywhere, but all the city people don't get to experience it that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive noticed that it gets darker and colder as the sun goes down </div></div>

Then when you get on the internet at home its the darkest and coldest place you will have been all day.