• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Darks Long Range Optic List (Athlon, Burris, Bushnell Elite, Hensoldt, Kahles, Leupold, March, Minox, Nightforce, S&B, Steiner, US Optics, Vortex)

Darkphage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Orem, Utah
Gentlemen,

I have been compiling a list of what I would consider tactical riflescopes. I wanted to explore what was available out there for us in the world of tactical glass. I was mostly interested in just putting down on paper all of the options a tactical shooter might want to consider if he was in the market for new glass. Now, before this thread starts burning, I want to clarify what “qualifies” a scope to make it on this list.

First and foremost for this article I chose to only focus on optics that are variable magnification, and have a maximum setting of at LEAST 24 power.

The specifications of each system that I plan to contrast and compare are the following:

Focal Plane, Magnification (both the range of magnification and the maximum), Tube diameter, Scope weight, Price, and available reticles.

Please let me preface with this. Some manufacturers have all of this information readily available on their own website, and some do not. Why the hell not? I’ll never know, I guess they think it doesn’t matter or that we don’t care, or it was just an oversight.

There are plenty of tactical optics available that are lower power than this group, and that’s all fine and good, and if someone else wants to do a write-up on all of them – more power to ya!! But this thread is only focused on what I would consider high-power optics, that said I also chose to ignore anything out there that was significantly higher magnification than 30 power. The 2 scopes that I will include with the highest magnification are the Nightforce ATACR 7-35x, and the March 5-40 x 56.

I would consider this compilation to be informative, rather than comparative. I’m not wanting to say which is better, or has the clearest glass, or any other objective comparison. What I am trying to include are all pertinent factual specifications that a shooter may or may not be aware of. For example, how many different scopes are there from Vortex that meet the magnification criteria that I set forth earlier, and of those choices what are the exact specs of each option, or said another way – how do they compare to one and other on a specification sheet.

What prompted me to write this article is the decision I made to switch reticles on all my scopes. See, I like things to all be the same. I am happiest when my stuff all matches how I want it to, and as I looked around it became clear that the time for MOA based scopes (at least for me) was past. I have long been in the MOA camp, and have watched MIL based reticles rise from the old MIL dots to the MIL hash, and finally the MIL based “Christmas tree” or Horus style reticles. MOA may still be king in this country when it comes to hunting, but tactical and PRS shooters are almost all MIL these days. In life you can either change with the times, or get left behind. I saw myself falling back into the rear-view mirror.

I was most interested in the Horus based systems, as they offer a couple of advantages in my opinion that may make or break your ability to get things done with your rifle. With a “Christmas tree” style reticle you can either dial, hold over, or some combination of both. Learning the skills you need to use all 3 types of aiming will improve your shooting without a doubt.

I was however, undecided on what my new reticle system would be so I decided to compare all I could about what was actually out there available to choose from. My question was in essence, how does the Horus H59 compare to the EBR-2C MRAD, and how is that one different from the EBR-7B-MRAD, or what about the Tremor3, or the SKMR3, or the MRAD DEV-L, or the Gen II XR or even the MR4??? There are even a few Horus style MOA based options out there, and I wanted to at least consider them as well. So, with all of that said this is what I came up with.

For pricing information, I used both Eurooptic and Opticsplanet. I wasn’t really interested in finding the absolute best price for any one optic, but rather tried to get an objective – what could I actually expect to pay for this damn thing approach. For example the Vortex Razor HD AMG has a price on their website of $3699, but it is available virtually everywhere that sells them for between $2399 and 2699, so that is the price I listed.

I also broke the list into 2 parts, a main list and a budget list at the end. Budget being defined as under 1K (are we in the wrong hobby/ sport?!?).

Finally, I am well aware that this list is a fast moving target. I have an excel spreadsheet on my computer that I started about a month ago, and I have already had to add 2 new scopes & several new reticles to it since then.

So I ask you to PLEASE PM me with anything that I have wrong, or any fact I missed, or with any scope I might have overlooked. This compilation took me a LONG time. If you want something added I’ll try to update things a bit over time, but am not really sure how feasible it will be to maintain this list. Hopefully someone out there will find Darks Tactical Long Range Optic List to be a useful resource!

Thanks,

Dark

The only way to list these that made sense was Alphabetically, so we’re gonna start with Athlon

Athlon Optics
https://athlonoptics.com

They have several scopes that make this list. I’ve heard good and bad about their optics, but can’t say that I’ve ever shot or examined one in person. Any feedback either positive of negative would be appreciated. Again I’m just reporting on scopes that meet my criteria as explained earlier.
Athlon Optics.png

The Cronus comes with either the APRS MIL or the APRL MOA reticle.
Athlon APRS MIL.png

APRS MIL

Athlon APRL MOA.png

APRL MOA

The Ares ETR comes with either the APRL1 MIL or the APRL2 MOA reticle
Athlon APRS1 MIL.png

APRL1 MIL

Athlon APRL2 MOA.png

APRL2 MOA

Burris Optics
https://www.burrisoptics.com/tactical-scopes

I have never owned or shot a Burris. I can’t say much about quality or longevity. I’d love some feedback on this line.
BURRIS XTR II.png

The Burris XTR II 5-25 and 8-40 both come with either the SCR MIL or SCR MOA reticles.
SCR MIL.png

SCR MIL

SCR MOA.png

SCR MOA

Last edited:
Bushnell Elite Tactical
http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/riflescopes/elite-tactical

The new Bushnell Elite XRS 4.5-30x50 is a pretty nice scope. I’ve examined one, looked through it in different conditions, and feel like it’s pretty solid. I’d be interested in reports on how it tracks, and how well it holds up.
Bushnell.png

The Bushnell XRS II comes with either the H59 or the G3 reticle.

Horus H59.png

Horus H59

Bushnell G3.png

G3

Hensoldt Optics
https://www.hensoldt.net/solutions/land/optronics/sights-and-targeting-optics/

The Hensoldt is likely the most expensive on this list. I have read in the SH forums about the quality of the optic and the clarity of the glass. Never held one – so I’m just going off what I’ve heard, but I don’t think quality is the issue here. Personally, the lack of reticle options is what would hold me back from buying, well that and the price.
Hensoldt 3.5-26x56.png

The Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 comes with an MRAD hash reticle.
(this is the best pic I could find)

Hensoldt ZF 3.5-26x56.jpg

MRAD Hash

Kahles Riflescopes
http://www.kahles.at/us/competition/products/riflescopes/

Kahles has 2 scopes that make my list, the K624i amd the brand new K525i.
They are solid contenders, and offer a variety or reticles and options for the tactical shooter. I have never heard anything bad about a Kahles. I haven’t owned one, but I have looked through a K624i and it’s pretty sweet.
Kahles.png

Both the K525i and the K624i come with options as shown below.
Kahles SKMR3.png

SKMR3

Kahles SKMR.png

SKMR

Kahles MSR2-Ki.png

MRS2

Kahles MOAK.png

MOAK

Last edited:
Reactions: Acer76
continuing with reticles for Both the K525i and the K624i.

Kahles AMR.png

AMR

Kahles MSR-Ki.png

MSR Ki

Leupold Tactical
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/tactical-scopes/products

The Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56 makes my list.
Leupold has been around a long time, they at one time pretty much owned the US higher end market for hunting optics. They have lost a lot of ground to newer competitors, but are coming back into the tactical arena in recent years. They have been used extensively in the military, and quality has always been good. Any reviews of the Mark 8 would be welcome.
Leupold.png

The Leupold Mark 8 3.5-25x56 comes with either the Tremor 3 or the TMR reticle.
(other reticles may be available)

Tremor 3.png

Tremor 3

Leupold TMR.png

Leupold TMR

March Optics
http://marchoptics.com/#/

Several March Scopes make my list. March makes good optics, and their glass is top notch. I have a buddy that has a 5-40x56 and he loves it. Its clear, and seems really well made.
March.png

March has several reticles that are available in these scopes.

March MTR-1.png

March MTR-3.png

March FML-T1.png

March FML-1.png

Last edited:
March Optics reticles continued.
March FMA-2.png

Minox USA
http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=zp_line&L=2

The Minox ZP5 5-25x56 makes my list. I have heard great things about this scope. It comes in several different reticle options, and I believe the quality is very good. I have never handled a Minox, so anyone who has please chime in.
Minox ZP5.png

The Minox ZP5 5-25x56 comes with the MR4, MR2 & MR5 reticle options.

MINOX MR4.png

MINOX MR2.png

MINOX MR5.png

Nightforce Optics
http://www.nightforceoptics.com

The Nightforce Beast, ACACR 5-25x56 and the ATACR 7-35x56 all make the list. The Nightforce NXS would also make the list. (I’ll add it).
No one questions the durability or toughness of a Nightforce. I have owned many of these and have pretty much ZERO complaints. I think this brand speaks for itself.
Nightforce.png

These Nightforce Scopes are available with the following reticles.

Tremor 3.png

Tremor 3

Horus H59.png

Horus H59

NF Mil C.png

MIL C

NF MIL R.png

MIL R

Last edited:
Nightforce Optics Reticles Continued

NF MOAR.png

MOAR

Schmidt and Bender
http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/

Schmidt and Bender have long been considered to be the best by many. They have a LOT of different scopes they sale, and a LOT of different reticles available. Please go visit their website to see a list of what they have to offer, as its much to exhaustive to cover here. The main scope that I will cover for this list is the 5-25x56 PM II/LP. I believe this is the most popular option among tactical shooters.
S & B.png

Please visit their website to see the plethora of reticles, too many to view here.

Sig Sauer
https://www.sigsauer.com/products/electro-optics/tactical-riflescopes/

Sig Sauer makes a lot of things for shooters. The Tango 4 & Tango 6 Electro-optics make my list. These scopes are pretty unique as they have several digital components to the scopes. Levelplex is an electric internal scope level. If you cant your scope to one side or the other a light inside the optic will illuminate to let you know. Also they have MOTAC which is a motion activated reticle illumination. Cool stuff.
SIG.png

The Tango 4 & Tango 6 have the following reticles.

SIg MRAD DEV-L.png

MRAD DEV L

SIG MOA-DEV-L.png

MOA DEV L

SIG MRAD.png

SIG MRAD

SIG MOA .png

SIG MOA

Steiner Optics
https://www.steiner-optics.com

Steiner has 2 options that meet my criteria, the T5Xi and M5Xi. Some people are big fans of Steiner. I have personally never owned one, and can’t make a recommendation one way or the other regarding these optics.
Steiner Military.png

Steiner offers a number of reticles for your selection in the T5Xi and M5Xi.

SCR MIL.png

SCR MIL

SCR MOA.png

SCR MOA

Last edited:
Steiner Optics Reticle Selection Continued

Kahles MSR-Ki.png

MSR

Kahles MSR2-Ki.png

MSR 2

Tangent Theta
http://tangenttheta.com

The Tangent Theta TT525P looks absolutely stunning. I hear the glass is like the finest crystal. This scope is truly a thing of beauty. Never seen one in person, never looked through one. The only complaint I have heard besides the price is the reticle selection. Its a little limited for a $4500 scope. If you love the Gen 2 XR, you might lover this scope, otherwise - lets hope they expand their offerings a bit.
Tangent Theta.png

As far as I can tell, the Tangent Theta TT525P only has the Gen 2 XR reticle available.

Gen 2 XR.png

Gen 2 XR

US Optics
https://www.usoptics.com

Us Optics makes a lot of different specialized optics primarily for military personnel. Please visit their website, they are a great American Company, with a lot to offer in the area of tactical riflescopes. Their quality is very good. They have a LOT of options available, and will customize just about anything you want on your scope. Please go check them out.
US Optics.png

To keep the thread simple, I’m only considering the B25 scope. Please visit their website for a list of available reticles. The table above covers most of what they offer in the B25.

Vortex Optics
http://vortexoptics.com

A am covering the Razor HD AMG, and the Razor HD Gen II. What to say about Vortex. They came practically out of no where and turned the optics industry on its head. They make very nice scopes at great prices and their warranty is unbeatable. They lead the PRS matches as the most shot scope in PRS.
Vortex Optics.png

The RAZOR HD AMG and the RAZOR HD GEN II have differing reticles, the EBR-7B-MRAD / MOA and the EBER-2C-MRAD / MOA

Razor AMG EBR-7B-MIL.jpg

EBR-7B-MIL

Razor AMG EBR-7B-MOA.jpg

EBR-7B-MOA

Vortex EBR-2C-MRAD.jpg

EBR-2C-MRAD

Vortex EBR-2C-MOA.jpg

EBC-2C-MOA

Last edited:
Vortex Optics Reticles Continued
Vortex EBR-1C MRAD.png

EBR-1C-MRAD

Finally we have the budget category. I tried to find a few good budget options for anyone wanting to try out long range or tactical shooting without breaking the bank. I’m only going to list a few, I’m sure there are many more that would fit this category. Some of the prices listed in this section are MSRP prices, so I’m sure some of them could be had for even less.
z Budget.png

Hopefully this scope comparison, reticle review can give you the information you need to make your next purchase. I had a lot of fun writing it, and learned a lot myself about what’s out there. Looking for your comments/ feedback.

Thanks,

Dark

Last edited:
Many thanks to whom-ever helped me get this thing into one thread! I don't know how some of this stuff works!!

Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like added, or if there are any mistakes I need to edit or correct.

Dark

Last edited:
Thank you for the time and effort to put this together. Maybe it should become a sticky that is updateable.

Thanks for the hard work here. I can see myself coming back to this thread a lot for specs and love having all the reticles together, makes it really easy to compare!

Excellent compilation. Thank you so much. This needs to be sticky and periodically updated as new reticles appear on the market. I have been trying to balance picking a reticle within my budget and this helps tremendously. Especially being large pics with good definition. Some websites have tiny pics of reticles or they are poor resolution and it made comparing them a pain in the ass. Now it is easy and all right here.

Guess I’ll stop shooting 700yds with my SWFA fixed 10x.... lol.

Lots of work for such a subjective topic.

Excellent compilation. Thank you so much. This needs to be sticky and periodically updated as new reticles appear on the market. I have been trying to balance picking a reticle within my budget and this helps tremendously. Especially being large pics with good definition. Some websites have tiny pics of reticles or they are poor resolution and it made comparing them a pain in the ass. Now it is easy and all right here.

Yeah it took some work to find good pictures of many of these reticles.

Dark

Awesome! Been reading for awhile about tons of scopes and their reticles. Finally got to see them. Now I understand more what people mean by reticles being too busy.

Thank you for putting this together this is awesome! I'm going between SKMR3 and MR4 but I think the MR4 is winning. It's just about perfect.

Thank you for the time and effort you put forth to compile this amazing list. This will be one of the first places I check when its time for a new scope!
Mike

The 'mods can we make this a sticky?' bump.

Having this info is great content and really valuable.

That's a ton of work you did, thanks.

Not to be a thorn but your listing of the retail price of the Vortex PST2 is not correct, it's $1399.99.

The retail price of the Ares BTR 4.5-27 is correct at $959.99

I think it's important for comparisons sake.

That's a ton of work you did, thanks.

Not to be a thorn but your listing of the retail price of the Vortex PST2 is not correct, it's $1399.99.

The retail price of the Ares BTR 4.5-27 is correct at $959.99

I think it's important for comparisons sake.

Thanks Steve,

I stated above "Some of the prices listed in this section are MSRP prices, so I’m sure some of them could be had for even less."

I am trying to avoid MSRP prices for optics that are readily available for less, so yes the Viper Gen 2 MSRP is $1399, it can be found for as low as $999.

Cheers,

Dark

Awesome job. Be great to update as more come out. Tons of options now. So glad I'm not living in the 200s