• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Darwin Award: Groundhog

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
Well was at the range zeroing a scope i recently got from a member here on the hide. It was mounted atop my heavy barrel 22-250 Encore.
Made a few adjustments as is usual for a new scope to get it zero'd. When as i was bringing the crosshairs on the dot I noticed movement behind the target on the hill.
The world's STUPIDEST groundhog decided it was time for air or just felt like committing suicide. Well put the crosshairs on'm squeezed and post recoil I see'm rolling down the hill. Fortunately I had my camera with me since I wanted to get pics of my AP4 *see rifle section.
Heres the pics:
Target I was shooting was just to the right, hog can be seen in pic:
backerpic.jpg

Close up of the trail of stupidity:
Copyofrollantrail.jpg

Performance of Win 45gr Hp *40pack*...appears to work well haven't gotten around to working up a load yet:
45winhpresults.jpg

Re: Darwin Award: Groundhog

I had almost the same thing happen last year when zeroing my 308. He decided it was easier to eat the freshly mowed grass in the shooting lane than the surrounding weeds, 168 Berger nearly ripped him in half. No camera with me though.
frown.gif

The woodchuck heard in your area will now be smarter in the future due to your enactment of natural selection.

ghog:
Don't wanna step on a thread here, but a similar thing happened to me in 1975 during basic at Ft. Ord. (anyone who went thru basic will cosign). First day for M-16 live fire. Dude next to me was from TX & crazy as a mf.( I'm from TX and I know one when I see one!) A deer walked out of the bushes behind the 400 meter butts. Now we had only fired 2-3 rounds as I recall and were NOT allowed to go full auto yet. Brrrrrrpppppppppp.....empty mag......20 pieces of hot brass on the ground all around the hole.....BLOWED UP DEER!! dohh....Reeder's the ONLY one w/ that much brass near him. LOL. Never saw him again after that day. Heard they busted him out on medical or some shit for being stupid! Fish & Game got involved. Company CO was NOT impressed. Hell, I thought it was good shooting. This post brought back that memory. LOL. Thanks for sharing.