• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Darwin visits my house.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I was moving some sheets of plywood, one slides of fthe stack and lands right on my big toe (yeah, I was bare foot), where the nail meets the skin. Mashed that mutherfucker right to the bone, blood everywhere. After two hours of bleeding I drive up to the Walgreens to get some BleedStop and left a trail of blood all over the store. I thought one woman was going to pass out but I got my stuff and headed home. My neighbor who is an RN brought over some stuff...who would have known that Kotex mini pads are great for bleeding control. 15 grams of Bleedstop powder and I think its stopped.

Definitely going to lose the nail on the big toe, probably the one beside it.

Whining done, hope I can sleep tonite.

Fuck me sideways.

@Maggot .......would you care for a side order of gout to go with that mashed toenail ?

5B296FB9-CDB2-487F-8377-70A54A2711A0.jpeg

My old lady dropped a full sized, full weight rail road tie on her toe, on the edge of concrete. Dumbass was wearing her “steel toed socks”. Ugh. Its gross to look at too. Then, a year later, drops a huge chunk of flagstone on it, all her favorite osha approved socks. Fucking dipshit. I laughed at her the second time, seems she is a slow learner.

• Wow
    Reactions: BLEE
    Broke big toe a couple of years ago, and crushed the nail. It took a year or more to grow out and for the last remnants to go off. I ended up using a dremel tool on it.

Worked construction most of my life. Rarely wore socks and shoes.

Get a needle with some vice grips, heat it up until its red hot, and burn a hole in the nail. The relief from pressure under the nail will reduce pain. That is assuming you didn't mash a hole in it. Having worked on trucks and equipment since I was a kid, I have mashed some fingers and toes and burnt some holes in some nails.

Reactions: Maggot
    Two hours of bleeding?? Sound like me when I was on Coumadin after a blood clot. That doesn't sound normal.

I fell in one of my pools yesterday, in the deep end with no water. Hit a scaffold on the way down and may have cracked a rib. I Also may or may not of yelled like a bitch when I was falling.

1652960722186.jpeg

1652960817053.jpeg

1652960884307.jpeg

Last edited:
    Two hours of bleeding?? Sound like me when I was on Coumadin after a blood clot. That doesn't sound normal.

I fell in one of my pools yesterday, in the deep end with no water. Hit a scaffold on the way down and may have cracked a rib. I yelled like a bitch when I was falling.

View attachment 7872719

View attachment 7872720

View attachment 7872721
    Nice work, I love the Texas limestone. Easy to work with. Our mountain granite is another story. Hit it with a hammer and the hammer comes back at you faster than you swung it.

Reactions: TexPatriot
    Screw nail and nail bed injuries!!!

First patient, first day ever in the ER, got a bunch of brain matter on my scrub shirt.

2 weeks later, kid comes in with a torn nail from a fight with a bike chain and sprocket.

One made me woozy.
    I can muster up and get through them, but usually ask someone to trade.

Screw nail and nail bed injuries!!!

First patient, first day ever in the ER, got a bunch of brain matter on my scrub shirt.

2 weeks later, kid comes in with a torn nail from a fight with a bike chain and sprocket.

One made me woozy.
    I can muster up and get through them, but usually ask someone to trade.
    I was in the ER long time ago with an infected ingrown toenail.

In the gurney next to me was an old guy that was moaning that had tried to commit suicide with a shotgun but like many before, pulled the muzzle offline when he reached for the trigger. It sheared half his face and head off and looked like a cross sectioned pomegranate of red weeping pulp, exposed sinus cavities, eye socket and what was left of his brain.

I told the old doc that came and was cutting out my rotten toenail that I felt guilty being in there with a toe when that guy was next to me. He scoffed and said, 'Don't feel bad, it's his head and your toe.'

He said they can tell if the victim is right or left handed by the way they pull the shot off when they reach for the trigger. A righty will blow the left side of the head off and vise verse for a lefty.

I was in the ER long time ago with an infected ingrown toenail.

In the gurney next to me was an old guy that was moaning that had tried to commit suicide with a shotgun but like many before, pulled the muzzle offline when he reached for the trigger. It sheared half his face and head off and looked like a cross sectioned pomegranate of red weeping pulp, exposed sinus cavities, eye socket and what was left of his brain.

I told the old doc that came and was cutting out my rotten toenail that I felt guilty being in there with a toe when that guy was next to me. He scoffed and said, 'Don't feel bad, it's his head and your toe.'

He said they can tell if the victim is right or left handed by the way they pull the shot off when they reach for the trigger. A righty will blow the left side of the head off and vise verse for a lefty.
    There used to be an internet photo of some guy who did that but I cant find it anymore. Really nasty looking.

This one didnt make it...Skip to about 4:30.

Last edited:
    • Wow
    Reactions: Steel+Killer
    Get a needle with some vice grips, heat it up until its red hot, and burn a hole in the nail. The relief from pressure under the nail will reduce pain. That is assuming you didn't mash a hole in it. Having worked on trucks and equipment since I was a kid, I have mashed some fingers and toes and burnt some holes in some nails.
    You can use a drill bit to make a hole so you aren't fiddling with a burn hazard.

3/8" or 1/2"?

Wood or metal?
    Lol. Mason, and use a hammer drill.

seriously you can hand spin the bit, start with a 1/16 and go larger to facilitate drainage if you got blood under nail bed that need draining. The blood will cauterize the hole so poke another hole in every couple hours and keep draining it.

But it sounds like you’re way past that.

Last edited:
    One time clearing some land I fell carrying a fairly heavy chunk of tree (2 man carry) and it landed on my thumb
    my thumb swelled to about twice normal size, under the nail turned black (filled with blood)
    and it HURT

I didn't have any needles, but I had a dremel tool
    I bore a small hole in my nail with the dremel to let the blood out
    best decision I made, partial instant relief, still took months for the thumb to heal up

Draining a subungual hematoma doesn't have to be an ordeal. a pointed knife blade or an 18gu needle gently rested onthe nail, over the clot, is simply rotated betwen thumb and forefinger, back and forth, until it pierces the nail. No hot needle, or paper clip, no drill, no damage to the nail bed (beyond what may already be under there from the initial injury. Works wonders on kids, and teaches them how to do it themselves later in life, when they screw up or when they have kids of their own.

Draining a subungual hematoma doesn't have to be an ordeal. a pointed knife blade or an 18gu needle gently rested onthe nail, over the clot, is simply rotated betwen thumb and forefinger, back and forth, until it pierces the nail. No hot needle, or paper clip, no drill, no damage to the nail bed (beyond what may already be under there from the initial injury. Works wonders on kids, and teaches them how to do it themselves later in life, when they screw up or when they have kids of their own.
    Yes, but a tiny, sharp drill bit works way faster and with less pressure. But definitely sterilize it first!

Reactions: JimTN
    Lol. Mason, and use a hammer drill.

seriously you can hand spin the bit, start with a 1/16 and go larger to facilitate drainage if you got blood under nail bed that need draining. The blood will cauterize the hole so poke another hole in every couple hours and keep draining it.

But it sounds like you’re way past that.
    Self feed works best, just be careful if using a Hole Hawg as the clutch on them is quite stiff.

Over the years, and after doing this a number of times to myself and others, I've found that the simplest/fastest/effectivest method has been with a cordless drill and a 1/16" drill bit.

The second runner-up is definitely the hot paper-clip method. Needles and pins are the last thing to be used. YMMV.

Strapping a black tea bag to it would have stopped the bleeding. Save a trip to the drug store.

Was it real plywood or that gay OSB ?
    3/4 inch void free all hardwood...furniture grade. Fuck OSB.

Neighbor who is an RN took a look today, looks worse than the one above, but Ill survive. I was going to just yank the nail off but she talked me out of it.

Pro tip: If the toenail is intact and it throbs like a mofo, the ER will use a soldering iron like tip to burn a tiny hole through the nail. A geyser of blood will shoot out and most of the pain will go away instantly.

Yes, but a tiny, sharp drill bit works way faster and with less pressure. But definitely sterilize it first!
    A drill bit, if mounted in a drill motor or Dremel can potentially creat excessive heat. Doing it by hand is methodical and careful, even if slow, and is kinder to kids. A year in Combat taking care of Infantry feet, 3 years Mountain Rescue Paramedic, 10 years ER as a solo PA, 10 years rural Medicine.

Pro tip: If the toenail is intact and it throbs like a mofo, the ER will use a soldering iron like tip to burn a tiny hole through the nail. A geyser of blood will shoot out and most of the pain will go away instantly.
    I stopped using those after the first one. It damages the nail bed, scares little kids (and some tough cowboys, too) and there are far better ways to do this than that. Barbaric Savagery.
    Bones McCoy would object.

My coach in Little League performed the operation on another player's finger with a pocket knife right there in the dugout. He was able to take the field the next inning.

I like being a boomer.

A drill bit, if mounted in a drill motor or Dremel can potentially creat excessive heat. Doing it by hand is methodical and careful, even if slow, and is kinder to kids. A year in Combat taking care of Infantry feet, 3 years Mountain Rescue Paramedic, 10 years ER as a solo PA, 10 years rural Medicine.
    No, just using your fingers and a drill bit. As long as it is sharp and sterile.

Reactions: hankpac
    Toughen Up and take your leatherman and cut that fucker off and slap a bandaid on it , that way you can avoid the throbbing pain.

• Love
    Toughen Up and take your leatherman and cut that fucker off and slap a bandaid on it , that way you can avoid the throbbing pain.
    I was going to take a pair of pliers and pull it off, get it the fuck over with, but the nurse and the doctor both said that was a bad idea.

Reactions: candyx
    Losing a nail is always painful. This was the result of a finger between an 18" and 24" crescent wrench when the fitting broke loose. Only good thing is I didn't have to relieve the pressure 😂
    FB_IMG_1652375867993.jpg

• Wow
    Reactions: acudaowner