• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dash cam recommendations?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
I've enjoyed watching "Dashcam Lessons" on Youtube. Didn't realize how many people have them until I started paying attention. My friend has had his in his car for 4 years and I never once noticed. Go me.

People are nuts and apparently when the other person lies to the insurance, it's "he said/he said" unless the evidence is compelling.

I lost an insurance argument when a guy backed up onto the hood of my car while it was parked on the street. He claimed that I drove under his car while HE was parked. My insurance did not cover damage nor did his.

Anyone have specific model or general advice on dash cams? Friend above told me to get the biggest sensor.

The one that is highly rated on multiple sites is the 622GW, but it has SO MANY complaints on Amazon regarding it freezing up and the company not honoring warranty. So it may have the best tested performance, but...

Looking for something reliable and will capture license plate (good resolution). I don't want to get a camera to catch the "action" but miss out on the plate or the driver's face.

watch 6:14-6:30 of this video:

Last edited:
Garmin makes several, get one facing the rear as well.
The higher the resolution, the larger the video file. The larger the video file, the shorter the length that can be stored.
If you get one that works through your phone and uploads to the cloud, data rates and connectiivity issues can be a problem.
There is no free lunch.

Reactions: pineoak
I need one too. Would like one that is locally installed and backed by the installer. Need something discreet.

Also consider if it has a capacitor power assist. If the car has a hard impact disabling the battery, the last several minutes may not get stored on the SD card.

The world is yours....Spend what you want, buy what you can afford.

I have a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 coming in today, 512 gb. Capacitor backup. I ordered it because it is tiny, it's going on the backside of my rear view mirror. Once installed, you shouldn't be able to see any wires. I'm planning on tapping off the power to the rear view mirror. The unit is around $130, plus $45 for the SD card.

I think you can put 4 of these in a vehicle. Uses phone app and free 24 hr upload to their cloud. Will let you know how it works out.

One thing I'm not sold on is having my "driving style" on record.

Last edited:
I've had a few Garmin dash cams. The latest is the 66W. I'm pretty happy with it. It has come in handy a few times. I'll see if I can pull up a short video.