• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dashcam on your personal vehicle?

slowkota

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
So after seeing many videos online of dashcam video (mainly from russia lol!) I was wondering if any of you guys/gals have a dashcam recorder of your own?

Basically those of you with dashcams in your personal vehicle (not an LEO rig).

Been thinking about getting one set up in my car, ever since I got a ticket for running a stop sign, even though I stopped and waved across a pedestrian... would've saved me $160 in court costs just to get a $180 ticket dismissed!

I'm wanting something that has High Def. resolution, accurate time stamping and a mic... along with easy mounting, and decent memory.

Anybody have any experiance or suggestions?

Re: Dashcam on your personal vehicle?

Always wanted a miniature camera system that would record from all 4 corners of the vehicle and overlap, all of them being on the same tape, with audio, of course.

Cop says, "Saw you weave." You can back up an hour or so in the court room and ask, "When???".

Course these things can work both ways . . . .

Try Brickhouse Security

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Course these things can work both ways . . . . </div></div>

Yep! Subpoena, repo, and hold as evidence

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Course these things can work both ways . . . . </div></div>

Yep! Subpoena, repo, and hold as evidence </div></div>
That's why it needs to be hidden. Wired into the electrical so it's on any time the ignition is, with storage on a 30-minute loop, like a cockpit voice recorder.

Yes - I have done it. Not so much as backup in case I get pulled over, but more just to commit to film (pixels, rather) of all the idiotic stuff people do on the road on a daily basis. I just used a small handheld HD camera and made a little dash mount out of wood from Lowes and a thumb screw to secure the camera to the mount. The video quality was quite good. I found myself zooming in and out depending on traffic conditions. I'd think that something like a GoPro would be too "wide angle" where you could see a lot right next to and in front of your car, but nothing much off in the distance say 50 yards ahead.

It's all good until the crash is your fault and they search your vehicle.

Look up 'DriverCam'
It's a commercial unit that is pretty discreet if you install it well. Works on the ignition and basically continuously runs a HD loop. You set the Res/loop time. Also activates automatically under impact/harsh braking or cornering. Can also manually set it off with a 'Panic' button.