• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Data Book organization?

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I have a data book that I'm going to start using. My question is do y'all organize your range sessions by month, temp, baro reading, or just keep it in order of range session and thumb through them to find matching conditions? Thanks for any help.

Re: Data Book organization?

I use a modular data book and I organize my data book into two general sections. The front section is made up of stuff that I know I'll need in a hurry like reticle diagrams, data summary pages, sketch sheets and the like. The other section is for the traditional data book pages that help set up the front section. It's not organized by month or environmental conditions like you described but they just go in chronological order. I try to fill out as much of the information as I can but when it comes to the environmental data I simply use density altitude. It's much easier to find trends in your dope using DA, which combines several environmental factors, rather than trying organize pages with several different values like pressure and altitude. If I can't get a DA figure then I'll copy what I can get and use an online density altitude calculator to figure out the DA later. After I've plotted my shots, gathered the dope I was using for the day, as well as the DA, I'll generally make a few notes about my position, the conditions, etc.

Later on, I'll compare the dope that I used to get on target to what I had used another time under similar DA conditions and/or a ballistic table printed out for that particular density altitude. If the dope is about the same as what I had in my zero summary chart and the ballistic table then I've just backed up that my dope is good and no adjustments have to be made. It doesn't always work out that way though, one time I was shooting at -2,000 ft DA and my zero summary was telling me to use 4.5 mils for a 600 yd target. After making a correction and plotting a few shots on target it was closer to 4.3 mils and I had made that correction in my zero summary chart for later use. That's pretty much how I run my data books and it's been working out pretty well so far. All the pertinent data that I need is up front and easy to get to so that I'm not thumbing through endless plot sheets.

Here's an article that I also wrote about data book use that you might find helpful:

http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index.php/articles/efficient_data_book_use/

i usually do mine three seasons, summer 85deg. , winter 35deg., fall/spring 55deg. for each caliber

i figure on a cool summer night or day, i refer to the fall/ spring data, if a cold fall or spring night / day i flip to winter, bring it close enough for center mass.

within each season, there is all of the below, going in sequence:

ranging / distance

drop data.

wind data.

then cosine data, if applicable.

Thanks guys, that'll help a bunch to set my book up. I have a Storm tactical book that I can fill in the sheets as I need them. Thanks again for the info. Oh yeah, what are you using to get you DA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh yeah, what are you using to get you DA?</div></div>

I'm using a Kestrel 4000 or the chart that is printed on the FDAC from Adaptive Consulting & Training Services.