• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Data book?

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
First off, I'm a rookie by you guys standards. I've always been a shooter but never a competitor. I do not see myself competing in any centerfire competitions ever..however, I have recently become very interested in rimfire accuracy. I have a couple of rifles that I'm fond of and one more to purchase. All that being said, I think I should be recording my progress but I don't know what I'm supposed to be writing down, again for all intensive purposes, I'm a rookie. Could you guys point me in the right direction as to what I should be recording? As well as a book that would be set up for .22lr? I can shoot out to 250yds at my range but thats it as far as long range goes. I mostly shoot any where from 25 to 100yds. Thanks in advance,

Andy

https://www.riteintherain.com/no-373-side-spiral-notebook

A standard Rite in the Rain notebook is all you need. I'm sure there is a ton of shit out there that comes in multicam and has a ton of sleeves and pockets and shit, data tables and cool target hit recorders. Whatever, I'm sure they're great. This will get the job done.

I write down the temp/atmospherics, my expected drops/wind calls and my actual dope. If I use my chronograph that day, I'll write down velocity/es/sd. I finish by recording how many shots for my barrel round count. That's about it.

Impact Data Books makes a NRL22 book but basically any of their books will work. Look down in the reference section for help in using a book.

Also at the top of this section of the Hide is a sticky helping with data books by Nomad who owns Impact Data Books.

Reactions: SourMash
I just use a small covered notebook.
I note
DA or pressure/temp/humidity/altitude.
General conditions.
Weird lighting conditions like bright days with snow.
Winds and wind markers (like the tree that only moves if wind is in a certain direction).
Targets and holds needed as well as any changes in holds and any markers that jive with those changes.
Any factor that could affect shooting or ammo like really cold or hot or funky condensation which happens a lot here in the winter.

I read the sticky that was mentioned above. I really just didn't know what to be writing down. Thanks again for the advice

The databook pages pretty much have all the info you need to write down. If you look at the pages and you will have the boxes with the labels and over time you will learn.

I read the sticky that was mentioned above. I really just didn't know what to be writing down. Thanks again for the advice
To start with:
Temperature, actual drop, muzzle velocity...repeat.

Once this is firmly established, then notes on special conditions, technique...etc.

Big fan of the rite n rain products. Used their 4x7 bound notebook extensively oversees and it did everything I needed. The custom books available are neat too, but unless you Have bought into their system, they are less useful. A good gel pen and a small ruler is all you need to make something custom that works for you.

i use a small stapled notebook for recording round counts and rifle maintenance That stays with the weapon. I use a larger 5x7 notebook for all my DOPE and range drawings.That stays with me. Rite n rain will give you a 15% off coupon for your first order at their website.