• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Date Code on MREs ???

fockell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
SC, Kansas
Bought some MRE's yesterday and was trying to figure out how to read the Date code. The ones I have say 2011, what does that mean? Thanks

Re: Date Code on MREs ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boom2336</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That means that they are good for 80years past 2011 </div></div>

Or how hungry one is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> mre </div></div>

Meals Refusing to Exit

If they are the ones that come with the stuff in green cans they are almoet expired. If it is the new fangled ones with everything wrapped in plastic they are good for another 100 years

I just opened up one from a 2010 case and the wheat bread was moldy. It had the clam chowder and bbq pork in the meal so I tossed the whole thing not wanting to chance it.
I had eaten the older ones in the dark brown pack a few years after the test date and never had anything bad. I guess the seal was probably bad???

Mine are dated "Inspect 11/05".

Everything seems sound and the decal on bottom of box checks with that link.

If they've ever frozen, toss them.

We had some that froze in 50 below weather, cracked and then were stored in supply.

Seems about a week later it sounded like a stick of dynamite and you have NEVER smelled anything so wretched in your life - not even a dead body stank that bad.

I'm making a sphaghetti tonight but I think I'll taster test the meatloaf and gravy tomorrow
smile.gif

I had some dated back to 1990 that my wifes grandparents gave us. All the crackers, and freexe-dried stuff was fine. The peanut butter was good to. Chease spread, jelly, hot sauce, and a few of the meals were tossed since they all turned brown. The BBQ beef, spagetti, and other simple ones were all fine. The creamers, and sugar packs all clumped up. Hot cocoa was fine.