• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Daughter wants a lighter rifle. Suggestions?

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Background. My grown daughter is an avid hunter (for someone who works, is a full time student, etc.). So I guess you can say, she goes hunting when she can. She has taken a whitetail buck a few years back with her rifle, shot under one a couple of years back with her brother's rifle. Wants to kill a hog, you get the picture.

I bought her a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 about 5 years ago or so. She is shooting full power ammo (my reloads) and recoil is not an issue but the Savage has a pretty thick barrel and some heft to it which mitigates the recoil somewhat. But she commented on this past weekend's hunt that she would like a lighter rifle. I just weighed the Savage and with scope (Bushnell 1-5x32), Ken Farrall 1" rings, Griffin can (the SS baffle and Aluminum can), sling, cheek pad and 5 rounds of .308 weighs in a shade over 10lbs. I'm guessing stripped it's an 8lb rifle.

She doesn't care for the AR platform, she likes bolt guns. Finding a lighter rifle is not a problem but finding one with enough punch without a substantial increase in recoil.

I've shot some kid sized, lightweight .243 rifles that had a pretty good kick. And the single shot rifles are out. Even though I've taken a pretty good sized buck with an AR in 5.56, I think she needs more than that.

So, I'm thinking about one of the rifles chambered in 7.62x39. Most of our shots are limited to 70-80 yards at most. But a 150-200 yard shot could come up occasionally. Her first dear was a 120 yards.

I've looked at the Ruger Ranch, the Howa, the Zastava and the CZ. Only the Ruger and Howa are threaded.

But then I saw that they all are also chambered in a 6.5 Grendel.

And there's the option to rebarrel the Savage but I'm not leaning in that direction because when I buy her a new rifle, Pops gets the Savage.

So what do you guys think? Thanks.

Remington model 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot 260’s, but with Hornady behind the 6.5 CM and with the availability of 1x fired brass on here all the time, I think its a no brainer. 6.5 CM answers all ?’s.

DMR LLC has some shorty 6.5 creed moor bolt guns that would be great and if you want a custom gun built they're the ones to talk to as well.

If you're just wanting something now and on the economical side, a ruger predator in 6.5 creedmoor would be an excellent choice. Pair that with a vortex, leupold or trijicon scope in good seekins rings and you have a winner around 8lbs probably.

I would go with the Ruger Ranch in 6.5 Grendel. The Grendel can muster 1000 lbs. of energy out to 400 yards. Then you will have a good excuse to build a nice Grendel AR to go with it too.

Reactions: libertyman777
Tikka makes several different models of the TX3 that are under 7lbs in all sorts of calibers.
also great advice. Tikka's only draw back seems to be the flimsy stocks, but in lighter calibers it hasn't seemed to make a difference to many people. My .300 win mag on the other hand.... rigid stock and steel recoil lug needed.

Kimber 84M, but not threaded. A word on the Tikka factory synthetic stocks, yes they aren't as stiff as most of us would like, but it is a much better stock than what comes on the Ruger Ranch.

Tikka improved their stocks with their T3X model, they’re much better than the T3 model (IMO).

also great advice. Tikka's only draw back seems to be the flimsy stocks, but in lighter calibers it hasn't seemed to make a difference to many people. My .300 win mag on the other hand.... rigid stock and steel recoil lug needed.
Tikka has walnut too. That said, Tikka synthetic stocks are not flimsy at all. Steel recoil lug yes, but all T3x models have that.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Tikka has walnut too. That said, Tikka synthetic stocks are not flimsy at all. Steel recoil lug yes, but all T3x models have that.
I was thinking the hunter model probably is better for bigger calibers right out of the box. But i have the lite (synthetic) so ill have to upgrade to something else. My rifle has issues with flex, but idk... i guess thats good you haven't found that in other rifles!

Love a Tikka!
My T3 .308 is easier to manage after a new recoil pad. Nice and light for packing around.
I have had no issues with accuracy in the factory stock though I would like a Manners SL for it.
My CTR in a Mcmillian is no more or less accurate.

Reactions: WoobieJ