• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Daughters project update

Hattrick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
My daughters current hunting rifle is a browning feather light 7-08 it’s a great tree stand gun/ close range setup but very limited. I have her talked in too selling it and building a more Capable set up my first thoughts was 6 creed in a mid range weight with modern Ergonomics so she can enjoy it at the range and extended yardage. Anyways after some thought I’m leaning to the 22 creed as I’m building one for my self and we can share reloading dies. What’s your thoughts on these 2 calibers for a deer gun? Both wold be much more comfortable to shoot than her previous set up and not giving up much or any performance. As of now she looking at the Bravo chassis , terminus action and probably a med varmint contour at 22” hoping to finish out around 9-12# at max. She will run it suppressed at some point. What’s your thoughts? Anybody build there hunting rig off the bravo I’d like too see your pics and how it weighed out finished? Thanks

Reactions: Enigmo
Do a 6 creed and a 22 creed. Buy 6 creed bushing die and use for both rifles. She shoot's factory 6 creed which, in my area, is on every shelf. Use the 6 creed brass and neck dow for your 22 creed!

No experience with 22 creed here but the Bravo is one of the best affordable stocks in the game. And in terms of value-for-$$ it may be the best. The only reason I used something different is I got a smoking deal on a Strike Nuke.

If you’re using a Terminus action you could realistically try several cartridges, it’s easy enough to get a barrel made without sending the action to a gunsmith. Whether you want to go to that length is up to you though.

Reactions: kthomas
Do a 6 creed and a 22 creed. Buy 6 creed bushing die and use for both rifles. She shoot's factory 6 creed which, in my area, is on every shelf. Use the 6 creed brass and neck dow for your 22 creed!
My 22 creed has a 1:8 20" proof cf and i push 75 eldm's at 3450 with zero pressure. H4350 and cci br2

The 7-08 is an awesome chambering, loaded properly, you can reduce recoil, while having the ability to shoot laong range with the right loads.
It's your nickel, 22 creed will burn out the barrel quickly, the 6mm creed not far behind.
The 7mm Speer 130 grain spitzer boat tail is accurate and absolutely deadly on deer, while being low recoil (with the suppressor, even lower).
You want to hit targets at 1000 plus? The Hornady 150 ELDX will do it, as well as the 154 SST. The 162 with 65 staball is a long range dream.
There are 115/120 grain bullets for varmints, even some of the lightweights are designed for deer.

fdkay I agree the 7-08 is a good Cartridge but with this rifle set up it is the draw back and we didn’t reload for it so it’s Easier to start over and it’s better option with less recoil, Alot things have changed in the last 18yrs since we bought it. My daughter is small petite build I like the idea of reducing the recoil so it’s more Enjoyable.

surdrz1994 how is it on deer? I’ve kill several with a 22-250 won’t call it a deer a Cartridge tho. Now the creed running the heavies and fast twist it kinda changes things. The Texas guys seem to like it pretty good from what I’m reading. The 22 and 6 kind of a toss up

fdkay I agree the 7-08 is a good Cartridge but with this rifle set up it is the draw back and we didn’t reload for it so it’s Easier to start over and it’s better option with less recoil, Alot things have changed in the last 18yrs since we bought it. My daughter is small petite build I like the idea of reducing the recoil so it’s more Enjoyable.

surdrz1994 how is it on deer? I’ve kill several with a 22-250 won’t call it a deer a Cartridge tho. Now the creed running the heavies and fast twist it kinda changes things. The Texas guys seem to like it pretty good from what I’m reading. The 22 and 6 kind of a toss up
I use the 22 creed primarily as a coyote gun. Not sure how that 75 eld m would do on a Kansas whitetail... i built a 25 sst for deer hunting. The 6 creed would hit fast and hard! Running some 105 hybrid targets and i bet that would be a deer and coyote killing machine.

Im currently building a 6 prc/improved to shoot that 105 from a short 18-20 in barrel suppressed. Should be hell on coyotes and deer if needed.

My daughters current hunting rifle is a browning feather light 7-08 it’s a great tree stand gun/ close range setup but very limited. I have her talked in too selling it and building a more Capable set up my first thoughts was 6 creed in a mid range weight with modern Ergonomics so she can enjoy it at the range and extended yardage. Anyways after some thought I’m leaning to the 22 creed as I’m building one for my self and we can share reloading dies. What’s your thoughts on these 2 calibers for a deer gun? Both wold be much more comfortable to shoot than her previous set up and not giving up much or any performance. As of now she looking at the Bravo chassis , terminus action and probably a med varmint contour at 22” hoping to finish out around 9-12# at max. She will run it suppressed at some point. What’s your thoughts? Anybody build there hunting rig off the bravo I’d like too see your pics and how it weighed out finished? Thanks

As a father of a daughter I gotta ask -- does she see her current rifle setup as being limited in some way?

And, does she have any emotional attachment to the current rifle?

-Stan

Yes she does and No she don’t. I’d say anything building this one together would mean a lot. She‘s kinda like me she likes quality over quantity.

Reactions: stanley_white
Hattrick:
Kudos on your project!!
Just want to share some insight from our deer woods.
No knowledge on either however my hunting friends have used both the 6.5 creed and prc. They have commented on how much more effective the prc is and how little recoil it has. Might be worth a look if you haven’t considered it.

best of luck
charles

22 creed with the 90 or 95 would make a decent deer cartridge.
You have to remember. Texas deer everywhere but the panhandle are pretty damn small, unless you're hunting high fence.
I think I'd rather have the heavier 6mm.

I went through this with my daughter a year ago.
Of course she was 9, now 10.

So she has a .223 bolt and barrel.
Then a 6 BR and a 6.5 Creed barrel.

We run 6.5 Creed for deer.
24” medium palma with a brake (can soon).

Having shot 3 deer this year with a 77 smk from an AR, I would say shot placement is still key, and terminal performance was really good from that size bullet.
One lost to top half of her heart and made it 60 yds.
Other 2 about 20 yds each.
A .22 bullet moving quicker would do just fine.

Dam time flys I miss the days when my daughters where 9-10 it was so much fun hunting with them then. You go thru stages of being cool and then not as a father. It’s kinda cool now my oldest [27] is back from over sea‘s and looking to get back in too hunting and shooting. All the sudden I’m cool again. If all goes well we may do a Frank class together

For my daughter,I threw my trusty Tikka SA into an MDT LSS Chassis. It has a LUTH AR adjustable buttstock and a 20" Proof sendero light barrel, TBAC ultra 7. It's chambered in 6.5 Creed. Loaded up some 110 Hammer Hunters with a pretty light charge and can still easily get 3000 fps in a really light recoiling platform.

As a plus, it's my only right handed bolt gun and I can put my thermal on it for a buddy for night hunts so they can shoot too.

1st your plan puts you at 10# with just a naked rifle.
Building a $2000 rifle and trying to save $100 on dies makes no sense.
22 anything is not a deer rifle in where I'm from.
6creed/243hipster is what I would use for your purpose.
How old is your daughter? Can she fit the LOP on a Bravo?

She’s 27 Your right die cost is minimum but stock Piling components is easier. The 22 -6 creed are almost identical or better with 22C in performance both speed and energy with better BC till the 6 goes up to 103 grainers. It’s not your normal 22 and recoil is milder how much? Well it probably don’t really matter but it does to a degree. The bravo LOP is adjustable

Yes it can. I image you could reload it to the 3000 fps with 115s. Probably running a little hot

Bullets in 223 cal designed for anything bigger than a coyote are harder to find. If you shoot match bullets at animals I'll bow out cause that's something I know nothing about.
If your daughter is 27 she should be able to handle a 7mm08, but I honestly understand wanting a lighter recoiling rifle for more range time. Will she still be able to carry it hunting?

For the range, being able to add weight to both ends of the rifle lessens the recoil and makes it more pleasant to shoot.
If you're handloading for the range and it just for fun, running the ragged edge of pressure & velocity reduce barrel life, cutting back 100 - 150 FPS and getting into good accurate node solves a lot of issues at the same time.
Suppressors make the shooting experience much better.

Keep the 7mm for deer and build her a 1-7 twist 223 wylde. Pleasant and fun to shoot. If you must choose between 6mm and 22 Creed I would go 6mm.

Reactions: swampbuck
After some thought we are going with the 6 creed only made sense more ammo Availability and caliber restriction with certain states. I’ll be doing a 22 creed for me after we get this done for her. Order action last week and barrel today decide to go proof Carbon instead of BartLin for weight. Hoping to get 105s running in mid 3100s in 24” barrel. Should be a fun build. Thanks for the input

092B4A3B-A561-4002-82A3-C2EFDA784F41.jpeg

Attachments

• CE317364-BBEE-43EF-94F0-74B6393E0591.jpeg
    CE317364-BBEE-43EF-94F0-74B6393E0591.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • 4B4B6816-580D-492D-B46C-C1F3446C3392.jpeg
    4B4B6816-580D-492D-B46C-C1F3446C3392.jpeg
    987.2 KB · Views: 90
  • EBF90EBD-92F5-4E81-BA55-EE746051DAE6.jpeg
    EBF90EBD-92F5-4E81-BA55-EE746051DAE6.jpeg
    952 KB · Views: 82
Project complete I’d say she approved

Last edited:
6 creed
terminus Zeus QC
24” proof carbon fiber
KRG Bravo
vortex viper 6-24-50 (temporary)
Dragoon suppressor
running Berger 105s right around 3200

Last edited:
My daughter finished up the late season with a nice fat doe 365 yds at last light. She went 8 yds right in too doing doctor flaps heart and lungs smoked. I’d say she liking her new rig 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_8956.jpeg
    IMG_8956.jpeg
    674.4 KB · Views: 34