• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dave Kiff Needs Advice

Melina

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
I need help making a decision on new products. I have completed my second run of one piece billet Remington bolts with tactical handles, also Remington detachable magazine bottom metal for Wyatt Outdoors. My question is should I machine one piece bolts for sale and would there be a market for them at $225 each? Also, if I made another run of 40 X Rimfire bolts would anyone be interested in them at $200 each? Let me know your feelings on these or any other parts, tools or reamers I should machine and keep on the shelf. Please email [email protected] or [email protected] for pictures and information. Thank you!

Re: Dave Kiff Needs Advice

My brother just asked me about the .22LR bolt. I would say interest would be high. I have a 40x rifle already, but I might buy one and put it away.

Interest would certainly be high in .22LR bolts. I get ask several times a year if there's a source for them.

I'd like to see some pics of the billet bolts. There's ALWAYS interest in anything stronger. The price is pretty close buying a bolt and having a handle welded.

I only know that your company has a great reputation and Dave is as nice a guy as any ...any product you do produce will be high quality !!!

I'd like to see straight from the PT&G factory:

1. TiN coated full lenth sizing dies!

2. One piece bolts (that means handle and bolt are milled from the same piece of steel) that have the M-4 style extractor already built in for:

the .378 bolt face (.223 Rem),
the .473 bolt face (.308 Win),
the .535 bolt face (Rem and Win Magnums),
the .588 bolt face (338 Lapua Mag),
and the .637 bolt face (.408 CheyTac)

3. Magazines that are <span style="font-weight: bold">COMPATABLE</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">(not cloned)</span> with the Badger M5 bottom metal system that are <span style="font-weight: bold">LESS</span> expensive than AICS mags. How about 15 round .308 mags? Or a mag that the bottom plate mag is flush with the bottom metal of the trigger guard, like a shortened AICS 5 round mag?

4. PT&G get their FFL and make custom actions with recoil lug and picatinny rail built in that have the Rem 700 foot print. Have the bolt be a more updated design similar to the SAKO 3 lug bolt or the Steyr Tactical Elite inverted locking lug design. Basically, take the slop out of the bolt-to-action interface and increase surface area contact.

5. Design / build EDM cut triggers for Rem 700. A sturdy and field worthy Double set trigger has alway interested me.

Double_Set_Triggers_2.jpg

that's my wish list (so far).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see straight from the PT&G factory:

2. One piece bolts (that means handle and bolt are milled from the same piece of steel) that have the M-4 style extractor already built in for:

3. Magazines that are <span style="font-weight: bold">COMPATABLE</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">(not cloned)</span> with the Badger M5 bottom metal system that are <span style="font-weight: bold">LESS</span> expensive than AICS mags. How about 15 round .308 mags? Or a mag that the bottom plate mag is flush with the bottom metal of the trigger guard, like a shortened AICS 5 round mag?

4. PT&G get their FFL and make custom actions with recoil lug and picatinny rail built in that have the Rem 700 foot print. Have the bolt be a more updated design similar to the SAKO 3 lug bolt or the Steyr Tactical Elite inverted locking lug design. Basically, take the slop out of the bolt-to-action interface and increase surface area contact.

5. Design / build EDM cut triggers for Rem 700. A sturdy and field worthy Double set trigger has alway interested me.

</div></div>

That's all?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see straight from the PT&G factory:

</div></div>

That's all?
grin.gif
</div></div>

well, with all the "free time" on his hands, I didn't want him to get bored or feel "unwanted". You know, it's a sympathy thing!
wink.gif

Pm sent on the 22LR bolt!! I would also like to see you make a bolt stop fora rem 700. Sinclair has them but i like your products. How tough would that be? Maybe you could even sell them as a kit. An instal it yourself deal. Drill bit, tap, and bolt stop. I dont like having a safty in my target rifles so this would be right up my alley!! What do you think?? Lee

I would love to see one-piece bolts with threaded handles so we could put a handle of choice on the bolt.

Dave your products are great and it helps the shooting community that there are manufactures like yourself that are delivering high quality products at a good price.

Thanks

i would definitly love to see and buy a Rem 700 one piece bolt/bolt handle with a knob with possible knurled ring around the end of the bolt handle

What is the use for 40 X Rimfire bolts?

I would like to see bolts with eccentric bumps that cycle well but snug up when the bolt closes. My Kiff bolt is the best I have.

+1 on the one-piece bolt!

Also a big +1 for a PT&G Remington 700 clone action! Certainly does not hurt to have more custom action choices, especially one that could target the lower end of the pricing spectrum. A true factory replacement without bells and whistles, just precise machining and good metallurgy.
laugh.gif

But if only one choice between the two I could go for the one-piece bolt.

One piece bolt-with handle slightly swept back to fit in 700 stock without hacking up the stock-as you have to do with the current crop of bolt handles.TIA barry

Like a voice crying in the wilderness; I keep musing the reasoning about why M14/M1A mags are not considered prime candidates for DM hardware compatibility. There must be a reason, I'm sure, but I'm not privy to it.

Thinking they must be cheaper and available from more sources, not to mention being a sorta defacto NATO standard.

Greg

Just a quick reality check on those 1 piece bolts guys, you're talking about HUGE waste of stock material to get a monolithic part that is actually LESS strong in many ways.

Think how the crystal structure of a metal forms and how the crystal is oriented in a steel bar, then how it's loaded in a bolt handle.

The bolt handle that's welded in place is more than likely stronger than it's monolithic counterpart for that reason. Especially if it's a rough cut bolt body, welded handle, heat treated and then finish machined. That would be the strongest option.

Greg I am with you there.

A DM system that uses AR10/M14 mags would be the bomb! I have five brand new AR10 Gen II mags sitting here. I would love to be able to use them in a bolt gun. Even though they are the most expensive .308 gas gun mags out there, they are still cheap compared to AI mags.

I think the reason is the staggered feed, but I am sure someone with some machining skills could come up with a solution since the factory box mag is a staggered feed.

I once had a chance to rap with a guy who has something to do with making a lot of rifle barrels, and he sorta voiced an interest in a design for an action which could be made without castings, forgings, or complex machining.

I made up a few basic rules for myself.

Had to be made from sheet steel stamping, and all assembly had to consist of bending and spot/arc welding, to accommodate robotic assembly.

Action needed to operate by means of a straight line application of force, and had to be an independent modular design that could be operated by lever, pump, manual, and/or gas.

All action functions had to performed be by means of totally interchangeable modular assemblies.

Semi had to be cocked by means of a pump action.

No coil springs.

Double stack detachable box mags, action length and mag length enough longer than standard S/A that S/A cartridge designs could be loaded without regard to mag length bias overriding proper seating length.

No wood. All nonmetallic parts composite of carbon and resin or FRP.

So; how does any of this relate to the monolithic bolt concept? Well, the monlithic concept is elegant; but the composite approach allows materials that are specific to the engineering needs.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like a voice crying in the wilderness; I keep musing the reasoning about why M14/M1A mags are not considered prime candidates for DM hardware compatibility. There must be a reason, I'm sure, but I'm not privy to it.

Thinking they must be cheaper and available from more sources, not to mention being a sorta defacto NATO standard.

Greg </div></div>

Cutting a standard type Remington action to utilize the M1A mags has been done and not very well.

Way too much material needs to be removed from the action to allow the mag to fit in the action. You’re limited by the raceway rails for the bolt and the material you need to remove to still allow the bolt to operate.

You have just enough room to allow the AI AW mag to work without removing the raceway rails and when done correctly from the get go requires some fancy machining when producing the action from the start to leave as much metal as possible.

A standard M1A mag will need modification to the follower to even work. A follower such as the AR-10 is needed.

The past M1A mag mods were such a pain that each and every one was almost like a one off. There was very little room for error, that after fitting one rifle up the same mags that worked in one rifle wouldn't work in another.

You also had the issue with different manufactured mags. The tolerances for the M1A were ok but the fine tolerances with the bolt gun mode were so tight that not every mag was interchangeable.

Sorry guys but as much as someone my want to see it done, I don't see a manufacture attempting this again. Been done once and it never lasted and there is a reason for it.

After just finishing a M14 mag conversion for my short action , I must agree and say that it is a major pain . I made the bottom metal to work like an AR-15 to hold the mags .I did not have to cut out as much on the action as I first thought , but I still had to remove metal .Also had to modify the feed lips on each M14 mag to feed smooth .
I would like to see Pacific Tool make a 1 pc bolt also .

Howard

As HPitts is my gunsmith and currently making my M24 I want that 1pc bolt too. How do I place an order? What extractor options etc..etc..

Oh and I need the standard 308 bolt face in left hand LONG Action.

Po-Po

Well, thank you. I appreciate your help with this, and now I think I begin to understand.

Here's a thought from a different direction.

I wonder if an adapter/spacer could be worked out that served something of a funnel-like purpose, bridging a very short distance vertically to bring the cartridge up out of the broader magazine top, and up into the narrower gap between the raceway rails. This way, no material would need to be removed from the raceway rails. The key issue I'd envision would be whether the bolt lug could reach far enough down through the adapter to drive the cartridge and strip it from the mag itself.

Greg

Greg ,
I am only catching about .050" to .075" of the case head with my bolt now . I had to remove metal from the mag feed lips to clear for the bolt lugs . An adapter might work if it were to transition from a double stack to a single stack .

Howard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> +1000!
One piece bolt (Rem 700) </div></div>
that would be a +1001 for me as well
with a solid or screw on type bolt knob size option as well

I would also concur with the threaded bolt knobby options!

I called Pacific Tool and talked to Dave . Ha said that they are not planning on making a run on 1pc left hand bolts but that he could make one and it would be priced at regular shop rates .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HPitts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called Pacific Tool and talked to Dave . Ha said that they are not planning on making a run on 1pc left hand bolts but that he could make one and it would be priced at regular shop rates . </div></div>

I need an autographed picture of Dave Kiff to frame and hang over my reloading bench!
grin.gif

Would it be possible to make a 22LR bolt that fit a standard R700 action ? That way, you could build a 22LR off a repeater action.

Maybe ?

Warpspeed. The answer is no! I already thought of that and when i called Dave he explained it to me. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see straight from the PT&G factory:

</div></div>

I either scared him off or David is still laughing so hard he hasn't been able to type a response yet. Out of the two possibilities, I think he's laughing ....

grin.gif

I would defiantly be interested in a 40x bolt. Especially because I just reserved a 40x barreled receiver from the CMP. With the 40x's available from the CMP currently (heavy and standard barreled receivers) I think many others may be interested as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Melina</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need help making a decision on new products. I have completed my second run of one piece billet Remington bolts with tactical handles, also Remington detachable magazine bottom metal for Wyatt Outdoors. My question is should I machine one piece bolts for sale and would there be a market for them at $225 each? Also, if I made another run of 40 X Rimfire bolts would anyone be interested in them at $200 each? Let me know your feelings on these or any other parts, tools or reamers I should machine and keep on the shelf. Please email [email protected] or [email protected] for pictures and information. Thank you! </div></div>

Dave: I'd be interested in one piece bolts, absolutely, and $225 is a fair price. I've always admired the Nesika Bay actions for this, and anyone seriously concerned about hard core performance would want a solid bolt handle to preclude unlikely but possible bolt handle separation. You can go ahead and put me down for at least two.

Regards,

Wes Haddix

One thing that I'd love to see PTG get into is bullet swaging dies for making jacketed bullets for the common calibers .224 through .338 should cover 99% of people who would be looking for them. Recently, I've been considering getting some dies made up but found out pretty quickly that they are not going to be affordable. I think that the reason why is due to all the current die makers are making fully custom dies, one customer at a time and don't keep any "standard" dies in stock. I think there would be a large market of people out there for dies if they could be made in the $400-500 range. Leave the fully custom dies to the custom die makers, but be the only company in the market that offers an "off the shelf" die that is affordable. Carbide would be nice but HSS would be fine too. Squirter die, core seating die, point forming and base forming.

How many people on here would swage their own bullets if the dies were affordable?

I use a PTG bolt in every rifle I build on a remington 700. I would like to see them offered in stainless steal. Your products are of the highest quality. Your addvice for using them, and the time you take on the phone talking to your customers is exceptional. I want to say a special thank you Dave for the time you have taken with me.....Ozzie from suarez tactical rifles.

@bryan,

I think the bullet die question is one of severe logistics. Everybody has a pet bullet they want. I think I may be one of the few who has relatively simple needs: something like a 210gr SMK in .308. Note I said LIKE
smile.gif
I bet the actual SMK itself would be a legal nightmare for a die maker to try to copy and sell.

That being said, I would love to be able to roll my own, but man I tell ya it is not quite as easy as "Just Do It!".

Good Shooting,
Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diriel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@bryan,

I think the bullet die question is one of severe logistics. Everybody has a pet bullet they want. I think I may be one of the few who has relatively simple needs: something like a 210gr SMK in .308. Note I said LIKE
smile.gif
I bet the actual SMK itself would be a legal nightmare for a die maker to try to copy and sell.

That being said, I would love to be able to roll my own, but man I tell ya it is not quite as easy as "Just Do It!".

Good Shooting,
Gary</div></div>

I realize that it would be a nightmare to try mass producing custom dies to everyones specifications, that's why I'd like to see a quality "production" die made that people can either take it or leave it. As far a copying a SMK, I don't see why they couldn't....the customer makes the bullet and ultimately determines the weight of the bullet and I don't believe any of the manufactures have a patent on a certain ogive or base. Dies are adjustable for the weight and length of bullet made so even with an identical ogive and base the person swaging the bullet is in control of the overall dimensions and weight. That said, I doubt it would be worth the hassle of trying to duplicate a SMK when a die could be made similar and possibly improve performance.

I emailed Mr. Kiff with this suggestion when I made my original post, as expected he sent a timely response. He said that he will look into. I'd like to see him or one of the die makers run with it.

I don't know if Dave does this already, so if I'm talking out of my arse please forgive me.

How about a set of dies sold as a set with each chamber reamer?? That way you get dies that are perfectly matched to your chamber.

Or have I been missing something?

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Melina</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need help making a decision on new products. I have completed my second run of one piece billet Remington bolts with tactical handles, also Remington detachable magazine bottom metal for Wyatt Outdoors. My question is should I machine one piece bolts for sale and would there be a market for them at $225 each? <span style="font-weight: bold">Also, <span style="color: #FF0000">if</span> I made another run of 40 X Rimfire bolts would anyone be interested in them at $200 each?</span> Let me know your feelings on these or any other parts, tools or reamers I should machine and keep on the shelf. Please email [email protected] or [email protected] for pictures and information. Thank you! </div></div>

What do you mean "if"
Is this something you might not do? I ordered mine already and would like to know if this is a done deal or if I need to try to source one elsewhere.

1. Winchester M70 one piece bottom metal in SS. Williams only makes it in the white.

2. Same thing in 7075-T6 for those rifles going up steep, tall mountains.

3. A visual reference on the website showing what profile the form tools cut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Melina</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need help making a decision on new products. I have completed my second run of one piece billet Remington bolts with tactical handles, also Remington detachable magazine bottom metal for Wyatt Outdoors. My question is should I machine one piece bolts for sale and would there be a market for them at $225 each? <span style="font-weight: bold">Also, <span style="color: #FF0000">if</span> I made another run of 40 X Rimfire bolts would anyone be interested in them at $200 each?</span> Let me know your feelings on these or any other parts, tools or reamers I should machine and keep on the shelf. Please email [email protected] or [email protected] for pictures and information. Thank you! </div></div>

What do you mean "if"
Is this something you might not do? I ordered mine already and would like to know if this is a done deal or if I need to try to source one elsewhere.
</div></div>

Note the date on that post, this thread started back in June. There was a much newer thread announcing they would be making them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt284</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Melina</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need help making a decision on new products. I have completed my second run of one piece billet Remington bolts with tactical handles, also Remington detachable magazine bottom metal for Wyatt Outdoors. My question is should I machine one piece bolts for sale and would there be a market for them at $225 each? <span style="font-weight: bold">Also, <span style="color: #FF0000">if</span> I made another run of 40 X Rimfire bolts would anyone be interested in them at $200 each?</span> Let me know your feelings on these or any other parts, tools or reamers I should machine and keep on the shelf. Please email [email protected] or [email protected] for pictures and information. Thank you! </div></div>

What do you mean "if"
</div></div>

Note the date on that post, this thread started back in June. There was a much newer thread announcing they would be making them. </div></div>

Oops, My bad.

It caught me by surprise and I didn't even notice the date.
Thanks for pointing that out, now I can sleep tonight.
smile.gif