• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

David Tubb’s Finalfinish

186thFCo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with the Finalfinish product from David Tubb? It looks like it would make barrel break in super easy.

I'm in the no lap camp, so I would not firelap.
I do a barrel break in process, but I'm not convinced it does anything.
If I were going to firelap I would pic DT over any other.

someone did a test on it. factory barrel i think though a search should yield results

My brother used it on a factory 308win barrel that fouled very bad and it did help.
On a custom lapped barrel I wouldn't do it, if there is any issues with the barrel for any reason you are pretty much on your own if you fire lapped it with abrasives.

Reactions: RTH1800 and Fig
I used it on my factory Savage 12 LRP. Did it make a huge improvement? No. It did speed the barrel up about 25 fps and slightly improved the groups. The biggest improvement was barrel cleaning. The one thing I did not like was that it worked the throat a lot and pushed the lands out enough to change my reload.

If you have a new sub $500 rifle then it should help. I wouldn't use it on any aftermarket barrel as it would just be extra wear on the barrel.

I've used this on several factory barrels with good results (Ruger Precision Rifle, Remington 700 in 300WM and another in 6.5CR). That said, I don't use this on my custom barrels.

Shooting the finishing rounds, per the instruction, as light loads for the very first shots seemed to smooth out the barrels so they release carbon as fast as my custom barrels do.

I think DT uses it to "bring back" a barrel a bit when the throat is going.