• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Dawson Knives Huntsman

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
Like Rob, I too just became the proud owner of a Dawson masterpiece.

Mine is the Hunstman in the AZ Copper (Cerakote) finish with green/black handle.
The handle fits my hand like they made a custom cast mold for me.
The knife balances well and the edge is as sharp as a razor.

Huntsman.jpg

Features:
  • 100% designed and handcrafted in the USA
  • NEW for 2019: .140" CPM-3V American made powder steel
  • Next evolution in blade steel - edge wear 3x longer than D2
  • 100% American made materials
  • 4" blade, 8.5" overall
  • Heat treated in-house for maximum toughness, durability and edge-holding capability
  • Rockwell 59-60
  • Our bestselling all-around hunting and woods knife
  • Industry-leading clear Cerakote© finish protects your blade from corrosion
  • NEW for 2019: Arizona Copper finish
  • Textured G10 handle will not swell, split, warp or crack
  • Custom fitted Leather + Kydex sheath for carry on belt or backpack
  • Thumb and finger rests for control and safe handling
  • Lifetime free resharpen
  • Protected by Dawson Knives’ Common Sense Guarantee
Description: This solid, practical hunter will be your personal don't-leave-home-without-it tool for your next adventure. The shape and weight of the blade provide a perfect hunting and outdoorsman's knife, with plenty of razor-sharp edge to handle any situation. Our custom proprietary heat-treat produces a hard edge and a slightly softer spine, making a tough blade that stays sharper longer. Thumb and finger rests on the spine and under the guard provide secure handling.

I won't be doing this to mine unless under dire circumstances, but it's nice to know they can take this kind of punishment.

There's a Youtube video from a recent knife show. The Dawson guy - John Roy? - is saying they have some new stuff in the works, including a folder if that suits your style.

Hmmm, that does. Benchmade folder is my daily carry now. Have to see if I can get the skinny from some guys in the know on whats in the pipeline. Thanks!!

Reactions: 1J04 and Tucker301
Damascus looks cool but it can be tricky and high maintenance, though that's because most of it is pot grade Paki shit metal mixed with 440A/C. Good choice on the CPM 3V, CPM 154 is another winner for bigger knives. I like my S30V in my small folders.

Reactions: 1J04
I'm the same way about Damascus. Just beautiful stuff.
Damascus looks cool but it can be tricky and high maintenance, though that's because most of it is pot grade Paki shit metal mixed with 440A/C. Good choice on the CPM 3V, CPM 154 is another winner for bigger knives. I like my S30V in my small folders.

So something like this.....
CPM-3V and CPM-154 blended, with Titanium Damascus guard and mammoth ivory handle?

dam_bowie_titanium_1400x.jpg
dam_bowie_titanium_name_1400x.jpg

dam_bowie_tita_pom_1400x.jpg

Out of my price range for right now, but one can always lust...

Well because of this thread I went to their site to check out their knives. They showed a "Forester" in stock, so I ordered it. I love knives, and since I'm in Phoenix and they are in Prescott Valley, it's even better. Support your local businesses!

Well because of this thread I went to their site to check out their knives. They showed a "Forester" in stock, so I ordered it. I love knives, and since I'm in Phoenix and they are in Prescott Valley, it's even better. Support your local businesses!

You should get on their e-mail list and try to visit them next time they have open shop day.
Tons of fun.

So Dennis Cook will be in Fort Worth at the gun show this weekend...

He'll probably come by my house to help me spend any money left in my bank account.......

I should have some new artwork by Sunday..

Reactions: Tucker301
Damascus looks cool but it can be tricky and high maintenance, though that's because most of it is pot grade Paki shit metal mixed with 440A/C.

Please tell us where you got this drivel from. I'll wait...

Damascus FACTS for American Knife Makers: Typical of most blades is 1095 and 15N20 becuase layering simply pops. It is NOT high maintenance. American Canister Damasus is based with 15n20 steel powder or 5160 steel powder. As I save pieces of cut up flash suppressors, 1084, 5160, and 308 barrel threads, to put into my first canister Damascus, I assure it is anything BUT paki shit metal. Ask any guy from 5SFG who runs a Breed Damascus blade and we will all call bullshit to the above statement.

Here is your paki shit steel damascus. This shit is made by the ton and there are more company names than I can count making this garbage.DO NOT put any of us American knifemakers into this class. We pride ourselves on our Damascus(yes I have made a few kinds with Kim Breed as he taught me so I know what goes into it)

Reactions: Barneybdb
The only downside to Damascus (apart from the cost) the guys from Dawson told me when I discussed it with them some time ago, was that it doesn't tolerate being severely bent quite as well as some of the other steels that they were using. (This was before they went to CPM-3V), Most of their knives at that time could take being bent very severely without harm (I haven't talked with them about that on the new CPM-3V, but will ask them if they have tried it when I see them this weekend).

I'm not sure about the hardening part with Damascus, so I'll have to ask them about any differences in that regard.

I'm not sure about the hardening part with Damascus, so I'll have to ask them about any differences in that regard.

Damascus here is temperature cycled, and typically differential edge heat treated. I've seen 5 year old knives come back to Kim from 5SFG that have seen very hard use. He simply does his thing, refits new scales and a new kydex, and send it right back. ready for more hard use.
Some people heat treat in special ovens, and heat cycle the same way. This is what makes the metal workable and tough as well. After heat cycle, then shaping the knife, the blade is either heat treated via oven, then tempered at 400* for an hour, cooled, then frozen to -10* for 12 hours. What I KNOW from this process, is the blade is tough. If you want a prybar, get a prybar. If you bend a good knife using it as a prybar, that's on you if it breaks. Stab, stick, slice, cut, hammer the pommel or spine, that's typical abuse. I've seen many good factory knives break as prybars

Please tell us where you got this drivel from. I'll wait...

Damascus FACTS for American Knife Makers: Typical of most blades is 1095 and 15N20 becuase layering simply pops. It is NOT high maintenance. American Canister Damasus is based with 15n20 steel powder or 5160 steel powder. As I save pieces of cut up flash suppressors, 1084, 5160, and 308 barrel threads, to put into my first canister Damascus, I assure it is anything BUT paki shit metal. Ask any guy from 5SFG who runs a Breed Damascus blade and we will all call bullshit to the above statement.

Here is your paki shit steel damascus. This shit is made by the ton and there are more company names than I can count making this garbage.DO NOT put any of us American knifemakers into this class. We pride ourselves on our Damascus(yes I have made a few kinds with Kim Breed as he taught me so I know what goes into it)

I think it comes from the market for prefabricated Damascus blade blanks, aimed at hobby knife makers, being dominated by inexpensive pieces from Pakistan.