• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Day 1, Leupold M5 Locking Turrets 6-20x

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Okay, day one is in the books with the Leupold M5 6-20X with Locking Turrets. I Managed a nice long time behind the rifle, got a lot of good video, so cool screen shots for you to see, but needless to say, I was pretty darn impressed.

Mounting it on my AW,
    Screen-shot-2011-06-15-at-3.06.33-PM.png

Overall look,
    Screen-shot-2011-06-15-at-3.06.58-PM.png

I had everything from the SWFA SSHD scope test with me, so I managed to check calibration with Field Firing Solutions again, and I have video of it. The Leupold tracked at .1 with 134 Clicks @ 100 yards. So that was successful.

Inside look at the locking turrets,
    LeupoldM5d.png

I didn't have a manual with this particular scope, so I sort of winged it, and it wasn't that hard. It appears to have this locking ring which I simply removed to defeat the zero stop/locks.
    LeupoldM5a.png

Spin it off...

LeupoldM5b.png

Locking / Push button Turret
    LeupoldM5c.png

I zeroed it, tested it with the 300ft tape measure and 48" Level, then took it to the 550 yard range, and it was good to go. I have to say also, someone left some 8" Shoot N Cs on the target board at 550 yards. They were clean, although had been out in the weather so they were bit worn. Well shooting the 260 AW at these targets I was able to see the green strikes in the black from 550 yards on 20x... thought that was pretty darn good.

So far, accuracy, clarity, we'll check repeatability and reliability over the next few range sessions but I am definitely liking Leupold again...

Two cameras running so the video review should be good, more to follow.

Re: Day 1, Leupold M5 Locking Turrets 6-20x

I will say this, did a short stint with the M1 6-20X with M5 (mil) turrets and I gave it back no problem, this one, I might not be so quick to return.

I have really been wary of Leupold's offerings of the past decade. I must say that this does look promising and that scope is just sexy. If their QC holds up and these stack up favorably against other recent FFP offerings, Leupold should stand to sell quite a few.

Josh

I got to mess with one of these on DTA's PSR submission while I was at Sniper school for once leupold did something right hopefully the price will be significantly less than the cqbss. The glass was better than I thought it would be. I wouldn't have believed it was a Leupold if I didn't see the badge on the side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was surprised to see these already listed on Promotive. </div></div>I'm not sure if they all went up at the same time but I think all the M5's were posted on there when released.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BX1129</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What tube size is this? Promotive got both the 34mm and the 30mm.</div></div>

34mm

Sorry to ask a could be stupid question is this the 110076 Leupold scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea what the cost per unit is gonna be on these things?

-SBS </div></div>

I found $3,099 @ midwayusa......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to ask a could be stupid question is this the 110076 Leupold scope?</div></div>

No that is not the same scope, that is the 30mm M1 Turret version of the Mk 4.

This has the locking turrets, capped windage and 34mm Main Tube... I think they may call this the XM2010 after the rifle it was on.

<span style="font-style: italic"> Updated I looked at their material, this is the XM2010 Package version of the Mk4 ER/T 6.5-20x M5 Locking Adjustment Scope.</span>

Item # 67810...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea what the cost per unit is gonna be on these things?

-SBS </div></div>

I found $3,099 @ midwayusa...... </div></div>

That's Midway.... If you are Mil/LE, it's much cheaper on promotive. Even on regular vendors, it will be much cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BX1129</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    That's Midway.... If you are Mil/LE, it's much cheaper on promotive. Even on regular vendors, it will be much cheaper. </div></div>

FYI, a good friend of mine ordered this exact scope through Promotive and when he called Leupold to inquire on the ETA. They said they had no idea, it currently was not in production. The one in stock at Midway seems to be a fluke somehow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I found $3,099 @ midwayusa...... </div></div>

Yikes! That's Hensoldt, Premier and S&B territory. Hope it is a damn good piece of kit.

Yeah, Promotive pricing is way better than retail. I just looked. If I hadn't just bought a different Mk4 through them one of these would have been my next choice.

I didn't see this one on Promotive and just looked. They had the M5 6.5 -20x50, but not one with the locking turrets. Great prices though....

Edited: Okay I found it. Is there a difference between the "auto locking" turret and the "locking turret" they have both listed?

Does it seem that they have improved the glass?

It looked as though it had 10 mil/rev. If that's true, I'm glad to see it.

Finally, Leupold is catching back up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it seem that they have improved the glass?

It looked as though it had 10 mil/rev. If that's true, I'm glad to see it.

Finally, Leupold is catching back up. </div></div>

I posted the glass appeared to be excellent allowing me to see 260 hits on an 8" Shooting C target from 550 yards away, mirage and all... These hits appeared in the black and the green was visible while i was shooting. I was actually shooting steel and noticed someone left the targets on the board, so I shot them. Happy to be able to see the impacts.

The scope is a huge improvement over the other Mk 4 ER/T, I have tried both M5 models, and while the M1 version worked well, no complains other than the usual M1 complains from me, there was no comparing the 30mm model to this Model.

As I said, this model is a huge step in a positive direction, in my opinion. I know a lot of people are not happy with the higher priced Leupolds, but for me personally, they are the ones that are the best of the bunch, and noticeably so. They have the features, and components to back up the higher prices. It's just people are so used to Leupold being half the price of S&B, and 2 years ago, I would been in line with everyone, but this model and the Mk8 really follow a different path out of Beaverton.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, Promotive pricing is way better than retail. I just looked. If I hadn't just bought a different Mk4 through them one of these would have been my next choice. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">THIS!</span></span> Like, WELL under $2K for the FFP TMR model, which I'd prefer to the Horus anyway. If you have access to Promotive (mil / LE) don't write these off as $3K scopes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnthonyL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    FYI, a good friend of mine ordered this exact scope through Promotive and when he called Leupold to inquire on the ETA. They said they had no idea, it currently was not in production. The one in stock at Midway seems to be a fluke somehow. </div></div>

Yep, just called and confirmed this. The guy I talked to didn't know much... checked the part number and said, "Nope, we don't have any." He did not have access to when another run is scheduled, if one is. Said it could be next week, next month, who knows. Grrrrr...

***EDIT - Just e-mailed the tactical optics side of the house and got this reply:

"The average order fulfillment time for orders placed through Promotive.com is 2-4 weeks. PN 67810 is running right around that time frame based on what I see in the system right now. My best estimate would be 3-5 weeks based on what I can see, but we are certainly building and taking orders for that product."

Interested to see the full review on this one...

Seems like a perfect optic for my future .300WM
    smile.gif
    . Glad to hear they finally taken the leap. Hopefully the price will be around a USO instead of a S&B.

Looks beefy, but that uncle sugar pricing won't win over many civilian sales especially at $3k plus

Looks like everyone is cashing in on the high end optic game...I'd like to see more on this one

Lowlight,

I'd be interested to know your opinion in reference to how this Leupold, the new SS Scope, and the Vortex Razor HD compare to each other? Specifically since they are relatively all in the same price point (give or take a few hundred), which one would you buy for personal use of the three?

I really hate comparisons, because everyone is different, I know what I look for which is not what others like, clearly. So while I understand the need for them, I totally dislike them.

But here is what I would do, and understand this is not comparing "this" Leupold, but the 30mm 6-20x I tried previously, their M5.

Dollar for dollar in a Front Focal Plane scope, I think SWFA nailed it, understand it doesn't' have zero stops, and the Razor does, but with 10 mils per turn and almost a $500 difference, number one has to go to the SSHD.

Next I think the Razor has it, they have improved the eye box, fixed the issue of the eye piece modifying that part, which clearly shows they were listening, so they are number two. All the features, good glass, nice range. I think 35mm is outside the norm for me, I would have preferred 34mm, but it's a good scope.

Next would be the Leupold Mk4 ER/T M5 w/ M1 turrets in 30mm... good scope, lots of history there. I had no problems with accuracy, reliability or clarity, but without 10 mils per turn, its below the SSHD, without Zero stops to make up, its below the Razor...

That is my opinion, based only on those 3 scopes, you're opinion may and probably will vary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike would be the one to say what possible Retail Price will be... I have no idea. </div></div>

Look forward to the video...

We have these scopes on order and the current ETA for having these scopes in-stock is 2-3 weeks. Talked to Leupold today and here's a rough estimate of what the M.A.P. pricing will be:

H27 Reticle: $2999.99

H58 Reticle: $3099.99

TMR Reticle: $2699.99 (We cannot confirm this price at this time. This is a rough estimate).

Feel free to let us know what reticle you'd be most interested in...

Below is the spec sheet. If it's too small to read for your eyes we've attached a PDF version of the spec sheet to a blog article on the CST Online Magazine that you can download:

http://www.cstactical.com/Magazine/Blog-Articles/New-Leupold-65-20x50mm-Locking-Turrets.html

5843752694_7b836661c5_b.jpg

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

I don't see spending that kind of money on a Leupold over a S&B, USO, etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see spending that kind of money on a Leupold over a S&B, USO, etc...</div></div>

You haven't seen the scope so what are you basing that opinion on, simply the name, as if no company can make a high end scope to compare with anyone else.

Having toured the factory, seeing the process and the end result of this scope, I can see it rating the price tag Mike listed above, it has the necessary features and overall quality to compete, the fact they have changed direction speaks of where the scope world is going. People want features and quality, anyone not willing to step up will fail, here they stepped up.

gotta love the uneducated opinions of the web.

Frank - Can you comment at all on the "usability" so to speak of the locking turret? I like the concept, but do you find it cumbersome in use or is it pretty natural once you're used to it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank - Can you comment at all on the "usability" so to speak of the locking turret? I like the concept, but do you find it cumbersome in use or is it pretty natural once you're used to it?</div></div>

Definitely takes getting used too... I found myself reaching up trying to turn it without pushing the button more than once.

That said I was able to keep it pushed while dialing over 13 mils to accuracy test the adjustments. So it wasn't bad, you just have to remember to push it, because more than once, I forgot too. The turret is big enough to give you something to hold, and the button is big so you can get it no problem. Plenty of meat there.

I was just about ready to put down $1699.00 on an 110076 Leupold. I think the extra grand would be well spent on one of these.

Does this scope have a zero stop or does the turret just lock on whatever elevation setting it's dialed to?

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does this scope have a zero stop or does the turret just lock on whatever elevation setting it's dialed to?

-SBS</div></div>

+1 also wondering the same.

Thank you for the review.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has zero stops along with the lock </div></div>

Sweet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the difference between 67810 and 110076 (other than price)? </div></div>

Tube size and turret type from what I know at this time.

We will be stocking both units so I will know more soon.

Mike @ CST

Are the adjustments on this Leupold audible? I talked to a couple of guys who said that messed with one at shot but didn't like the feel of the turrets and that they where not audible. Just wondering what the production ones are like.

Frank, what would that locking turret be like while wearing gloves on a cold Winter day?

Guys,

I will address the issue of audible, gloves, but wanted to know if there was anything specific anyone wanted to see as I return to the range with it. I am shooting video of everything so let me know what you are interested in seeing and I will try to make it happen.

LL...
    Compare some of the features to some good quality known quantities in it's price range, like a S&B, PH, NF, etc, because many of us are familiar with their features, click feel, field of view, how the ZS works, etc, etc.

Even a 5.5-22 Nightforce.... turrets, size, etc. even though it's not FFP, most of the features we look for are not related to the actual optics, but all the mechanical aspects.

And when I say compare, I don't necessarily mean "better or worse" (even though it may be obvious), but the turret clicks feel "most like the NF HS but a little father apart" or "the eyebox is harder to get behind than the NF but easier than the S&B"

If something is subjective, say so, we would still have the comparison.

About everyone looking to buy this scope will have handled a NF of some kind and know what the clicks feel like, for example.

Like comparing the view through an S&B to a PH... "the field of view is wider in the PH at the same powers, but that makes the apparent size of the crosshair look smaller in the FOV, it also make the apparent tunneling in the S&B at lower powers more pronounced . But the PH only focuses down to 50 meters compared to 10 meters in the S&B...etc...etc.

I know I may be asking for more than a 10 minute video can hold!! I think a comparison to any of the big three, S&B, PH, or NF, would be good, probably the NF as it's the most common.