• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Day scope quality for use with NV (I^2) clip-ons

cake5150

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Good afternoon gents, I'm looking for firsthand experience w/ regard to NV clip-ons and dayscopes you've used them with. I currently use my gen 3 SIMRADs mostly with a Vortex PST gen 2 3-15x44 FFP MOA. The results are extremely good in my opinion, but I've never used a high end Razor, ,AMG, S&B, or Nightforce to compare. I have absolutely no complaints about that PST gen 2 during the day, and I feel like the night time use is excellent as well... but I'm wondering if there is a truly detectable advantage to be had by upgrading. The cost of the higher end scopes is not necessarily what deters me, it's the added weight. These guns get actually used and carried (one of them is a deer gun), so a 3 lb Razor gen 2 4.5-27 makes my shoulder hurt just thinking about adding it to my rifle. The AMG looks great but it bottoms out at 6x, not ideal for a scope that gets used hunting a couple months out of the year. If anyone has specifically compared a PST gen 2 to an AMG or Razor behind a gen 3 clip-on, I would surely love to pick your brain. Thanks!

Yes, you will notice quite a difference in image when you run day optics with higher resolution glass.

If weight is a concern look into the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44. It weighs less than your PST and the image blows it out of the water. It is very nice behind a Simrad or other clip on. You'll need to run a Spuhr mount and their Simrad rail though, I'm not aware of any other 35mm options for Simrad compatibility.