• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors DB difference using a 9 mm in a 45acp can

chooter

A#1 BMF
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Anyone know if there is any db difference shooting a 9mm out of a 45 can? I have fired 6mm out of a 30 cal can and my untrained ears have little to no difference. Inquiring minds want to know!šŸ˜Ž

Anyone know if there is any db difference shooting a 9mm out of a 45 can? I have fired 6mm out of a 30 cal can and my untrained ears have little to no difference. Inquiring minds want to know!šŸ˜Ž
Let me shortcut to the answer you need;

Buy a .45 can and shoot both .45 and 9 through it.

Shoot 230 grain .45 and 147 grain 9mm. Both subsonic. Youā€™ll be very happy you did.

The problem with the 45 cans over the 9mm version is the size.

I bought an Octane 45 only to shoot 9mm through it one day but wanted a 45 can ā€œjust in caseā€.

I havenā€™t sent one .45 round through it compared to thousands of 9mm. I wish I would have just bought the 9mm version and save on the size.

.45 cans are stupid long on pistols.

I have a Rugged Obsidian 45, I can't really tell any difference (but I have a combat deployment under my belt too). If I want it shorter I just take the ADAPT mod off the end of it.

Last edited:

Silencer Shop metering videos are useless for any and all purposes beyond entertainment.

Using a 9mm silencer with 9mm is noticeably quieter to the ear and on the meter compared to using a 45ACP silencer with 9mm.

Reactions: deersniper
Noticeable is a little subjective depending on how good or bad your ears are. According to PTP's numbers their 45 can is about 7 to 8 db louder than their 9mm can running 147 gr 9mm. It's even the same change running 22 LR or 300 BO.

Reactions: deersniper
Here are the two sound test comparisons we did with our Revolution 9 and Revolution 45. We tested 9mm on the .45 can. This should give you an idea of what type of performance to expect!

Silencer Shop metering videos are useless for any and all purposes beyond entertainment.

Using a 9mm silencer with 9mm is noticeably quieter to the ear and on the meter compared to using a 45ACP silencer with 9mm.
How tf did paco get banned like WiTF

Thunderbeast says the FLY 45 meters quieter on 9mm than the FLY 9 does. Besides the fact that it's bigger, it has less blowback because of the wider bore and produces less port noise.

Reactions: BurtG
Thunderbeast says the FLY 45 meters quieter on 9mm than the FLY 9 does. Besides the fact that it's bigger, it has less blowback because of the wider bore and produces less port noise.
Nice I have a new max upper coming and was pondering if I should use one of my 9mm cans or the octane 45 thatā€™s been sitting new for years now

Nice I have a new max upper coming and was pondering if I should use one of my 9mm cans or the octane 45 thatā€™s been sitting new for years now
I sent my Octane 45 to Griffin for the baffle upgrade they do. It is noticably quieter. I hated that can before. I have a Form 1 that was quieter. After the baffle upgrade it's a whole new can. Much quieter. Griffin advertises 8 DB reduction.

• Wow
Reactions: BurtG
I sent my Octane 45 to Griffin for the baffle upgrade they do. It is noticably quieter. I hated that can before. I have a Form 1 that was quieter. After the baffle upgrade it's a whole new can. Much quieter. Griffin advertises 8 DB reduction.
Thanks. Cost ? Wait time ?

In our Eco-flow cans, the at ear is quieter on the meter using 9mm through a .45 than 9mm through a 9mm can. The 9mm generally creates more backpressure and ear noise, but can sound a little more clean because the muzzle signature seems to be more the driver of "tone" than the ear signature which is probably a short high peak event.

Reactions: BurtG and JR1200W3