• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision DBAL draining batteries

jbgleason

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
North LA
My DBAL drains the battery when sitting stored. At first, I would leave the selector turned to visible laser and it ran through a couple of batteries. So I then started turning the selector to off but it still runs a new battery completely out in a week or two. Is this normal? Is the unit always hot even when the laser isn't activated? I have a SureFire tape switch plugged into the unit. Could that be an issue?

Re: DBAL draining batteries

I've had the same issue w the Peq-2 and D740. Almost like there's a "trickle" of power leaking to the unit somehow. Either way, I didn't like it and now remove the batteries after every use. Sucks though, cuz when Mr Wiley Coyote decides to serenade me right outside my back door, I now have to ask him to wait around a minute while I install my batteries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My DBAL drains the battery when sitting stored. At first, I would leave the selector turned to visible laser and it ran through a couple of batteries. So I then started turning the selector to off but it still runs a new battery completely out in a week or two. Is this normal? Is the unit always hot even when the laser isn't activated? I have a SureFire tape switch plugged into the unit. Could that be an issue? </div></div>

Hey JB, not sure what DBAL unit you have, but early models on some DBAL units did have battery drain. A replacement board was initiated on LDI's behalf.

Please give LDI a call and they will most likely replace the board for you at no charge. If you need a bit more assistance, give me a PM, be glad to run some interference if need be. Thanks JB.

Vic

I have a newer model LDI DBAL-I2 and DBAL-D2 and neither one of them eats batteries when turned off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My DBAL drains the battery when sitting stored. At first, I would leave the selector turned to visible laser and it ran through a couple of batteries. So I then started turning the selector to off but it still runs a new battery completely out in a week or two. Is this normal? Is the unit always hot even when the laser isn't activated? I have a SureFire tape switch plugged into the unit. Could that be an issue? </div></div>

No, what you're experiencing is not normal, and does not have anything to do with your using a SureFire tape switch. The battery should not drain while the unit is powered off. The draining of battery charge while the unit is not in use suggests an open switch or leaky circuit. As Vic as points out, there is an upgrade for the early Class 1 DBALs that fixes the battery drainage problem.

I have DoD-issued DBAL-A2s here in our lab, and none of them drain the battery when powered off. We've had some thermal imaging equipment, recently, that have had the problem you describe. The manufacturer could not replicate the battery drainage in their test labs, but was able to immediately provide replacement equipment that did not exhibit the battery drainage problem.

IR-V