• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DBM for WSM/RSAUM

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
I have 7MM SAUM That I would like to change over to DBM. It currently has standard bottom metal with wyatt box loading port is already 3.1. I understand seekins is not making the "WSM" DBM anymore. Does anyone else have a DBM with extra mag length. Actually found an old web site from a company that offered one back in 2011. They moved the DBM mag well back and opened it up to I think 3.1 I think it was precison gun works (not the present CDI I dont think) but I cant seem to find it anymore. Any help from guys running one would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rad

Why can't you run Alpha WSM mags in a Badger M5? They work for me on 7WSM and 6.5 SAUM

Accurate-Mag makes 300 WSM 4 and 7 round magazines. They have a website, but it is best to call. GAP and Manners provide Accurate-Mags when you order from them, if that provides you any confidence in their quality.

Some people use Alpha mags. I tried them and had issues in product quality and service. Others have had better luck.

Was the feed ramp notched on your rifles to allow the use of the Alpha/Accurate mags? I was not wanting to do that. With the Wyatt box the magazine is actually moved back in relation to the feed ramp to allow for the longer OAL. Some actions have to milled to accept it. The Pierce action I have actually comes that way as I understand with a 3.1 loading (magazine) port. The Bottom metal I mentioned above was designed that way but now I cant find their web site again. Should have marked it when I found it. Stupid is expensive and painful I guess. Anyway let me know about your feed ramps.
Also I see Accurate sells their own bottom metal kit with the type 2 mag already anybody know about their quality? I also see PTG is now making bottom metal Anybody used them?
Thanks for the help

Last edited:
An accurate mag doesn't require a notched feed ramp. BTW, notching the feedramp isn't a bad thing and is very easy to do.

BTW, notching the feedramp isn't a bad thing...

I disagree. What is just opposite the feed ramp and needs to hold upwards of 7 or 8 tons on a regular basis? Yes, it has been done but personally I prefer to leave steel in those areas and remove steel at the bolt stop instead (particularly with the magnum bolt faces).

BTW, the only bottom metal I've seen that advertised moving the magazine back to take advantage of longer internal space was "Precision Shooting Sports," but I would not recommend them. Short of a custom DBM it may be possible to relocate the action screw holes in an existing DBM with pressed in bushings or similar modifications.

Yeah mcfred. When I originally started this rifle I ask the notching question and Jerry Stiller chimed in saying that it would void the warranty of his Actions. I know lots of people do it but I just cant bring myself to go that route.
Thanks for the input.

Yeah mcfred. When I originally started this rifle I ask the notching question and Jerry Stiller chimed in saying that it would void the warranty of his Actions. I know lots of people do it but I just cant bring myself to go that route.
Thanks for the input.
If you're using a custom action then you probably don't need the extra OAL. Notching the feed ramp is something that is really only needed for factory 700s. [MENTION=48778]mcfred[/MENTION], to each his own. I've seen it done in several 700 actions, and Surgeons even have a little notch already cut there (done right the first time). If you're going to run a DBM setup it's the way to go.

I see notching the front of the receiver as a "short cut" that slightly erodes the safety factor built into the design. It's like taking one lug nut off of each wheel on your car. Will it cause a problem? Probably not, but I wouldn't say it's the way to go. If you want to save weight on your car, cut a hole in the hood instead.

Most big problems result from a chain of effects. Take gun safety for example. The rules generally run something like 1) point the gun in a safe direction 2) keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot 3) keep the gun unloaded until ready to shoot. Now really you only need one of those rules at a time to be safe, but it makes sense to stack the odds in your favor when simple, reasonable options are available. This way more than one thing has to go wrong before you have a bigger problem. So I guess my viewpoint is why would you cut into the pressure holding structure when you could simply move the magazine back and cut somewhere else? That sounds like a potential feature and a market for bottom metal manufacturers. My $0.02 anyway.