• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DBM install in factory H&S stock

Aqua Mark

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
I have a factory H&S stock on my REM 5R 308, and got tired of top-feeding rounds after shooting 5, so I installed a surgeon bottom metal on 3/4/11. Team Storm Tactical member Maciej has a full shop, and was kind enough to let me use his mill for an afternoon. It came out perfect, I didn't even need to bed it. I really like this bottom metal, and also like the one made by Seekins. They both have outstanding ambi mag realease systems and use AICS mags.

Note: If ordering a new Manners or McM stock, just have the factory do your bottom metal cut on the CNC machine. I did this one manually because its just a $200 stock I already had, and if it didn't come out right, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I have a Manners T4A on order and they are cutting my DBM at the factory on all my "nice" future Manners stocks.
Mark

Line up the new bottom metal by screwing studs into the action through the stock. I used a silver sharpie to show the lines on the black stock.
DSCN3597web.jpg

I started with the small 1/4" cutter to get the radius of the corners first.
DSCN3590web.jpg

Then used the bigger cutter for the straight passes, and larger radius.
DSCN3608web.jpg

Remove a little bit of material each pass, then shut off the machine and re-fit the DBM until its is perfect.
DSCN3621web.jpg

If you take your time and do it right, even a manual mill job can come out very nice and not even need bedding.
DSCN3628web.jpg

Run the bolt and check trigger function dry, then ammo feed and eject several times to make sure it is even and cut more at a time to set the right depth to feed rounds without hanging up or binding, etc. (safety on if possible when feeding live ammo). Re-mount scope and take it for a test drive at the range. This H&S stock has aluminum pillars already in it, so pillar bedding was also not necessary.
DSCN3668web.jpg

Re: DBM install in factory H&S stock

Looks good.
I really buggered my HS stock up after reading of a few people doing this with a dremel. Big mistake! It's a the smith now. I'm really hoping it's fixable.
For anyone out there thinking of inletting without a mill, don't do it!!