• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DCLW tripod with DLOC questions

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
OK,

So I live in Maine. For those of you not familiar with it, Maine is an Appalachian state with lots of trees. Meaning, you really gotta search for places to shoot further than a hundred yards.

I am fortunate enough to have access to a piece of private property that I can stretch out a ways. The furthest I have shot is 1075, but I believe that corner to corner, I could get 1200-1300 yards. The only issue I have is this- the field is a hayfield, and the owner doesn't want it driven on (and I have no room to argue, as he is gracious enough to let me shoot for free.) I can set up out of a pickup truck bed at 630 yards on a road that runs through it when the grass gets tall, but really I would like to be able to establish a shooting position out in the grass.

I believe a shooting tripod is the answer to my problems. I only need to be able to get the rifle 3-4 feet off the ground to establish a shooting position over the grass. I don't mind spending $500+ for a good tripod (hell it almost seems cheap after buying a TRG bipod) and the DCLW with a DLOC head seems like it should fit my needs.

I'd like to hear more from those who have shot from one. Specifically in how stable the shooting position is, and whether or not it compares to the stability you can get with a bipod and rear bag. The steel we have setup is just over MOA, and I would prefer enough stability to be able to spot my own shots.

Thanks very much,

-Bob

Re: DCLW tripod with DLOC questions

Build a platform on skids if you are shooting corner to corner and pay the farmer for the ground it covers or buy him a wagon load of bales. If you build it on skids you can move it right after the hay has been baled.

I like Gunny's idea. I own a DCLW with DLOC head and while I love it dearly and use it regularly, I think a platform and bipod/rear bag setup is going to be much better for stability. I can shoot minute of head with mine from the kneeling or sitting positions but I'm not able to cut ragged holes.

The platform is a good idea, I have thought about doing it in the winter. As for now, I think that I am going to give the tripod a try- if for no other reason than to learn a new skill set.