• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DD Delta 5... 6.5 Creedmoor Range Report

Ut15tactical411

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2019
New to the game using a 6.5 Creedmoor as well as posting on Snipers Hide although a long time reader. I know the DD Delta 5 has not got a lot of love on the site due to being a factory gun, but I thought getting into the long range game and hoping the modular platform takes off to support after market barrels and accessories.

Daniel Defense Delta 5
6.5 Creedmoor 24”
Vortex PST EBR-1 6-24x50
Vortex Precision PMR Rings Low
Trigger set at 2lb

4E2FFEB7-52CA-46E6-B994-2407A9084C89.jpeg
0E2AC1D1-5B58-4355-BEB6-ADBF8AD69535.jpeg
65282BB8-39A3-44E4-802D-ED6B393864F6.jpeg

100 Yards
Ammo...
Hornady Match 147gr ELD
Only group shot due to time on the range breaking in the barrel.

Both images are the same group!
.42 5 shoot group 1 flyer
380D13DE-860E-4C12-AF08-A7AECCB44EB0.jpeg

.33 4 shot group - 1 flyer
E2A3D529-D897-4EBD-9173-F5A45CD40E4D.jpeg

I haven’t starting reloading for the 6.5 Creedmoor yet. Does anyone know of a good temperature - stable powder for the TN weather?

Also a pole on the best self timing muzzle break would be awesome? Looking at the 419, heathen, jet blast & Little Bastard.

Nice to see a thread on the Delta 5, looks like it'll be a shooter.....two other brakes to consider might be the 2 piece Beast from Muzzle brakes and more....also the Piercision mini magnum muscle brake.....the latter has a design similar to the Heathen

Reactions: bennmustang
Very nice. Check out the reloading section. Lots of good info. And run a google search for muzzle devices on the site.
Nice to see a thread on the Delta 5, looks like it'll be a shooter.....two other brakes to consider might be the 2 piece Beast from Muzzle brakes and more....also the Piercision mini magnum muscle brake.....the latter has a design similar to the Heathen

I will research those as well. Thanks!

Reactions: Spblademaker
I've never been much of a muzzle brake shooter but recently put an Area 419 Hellfire on a 6.5x47 build I just finished not long ago.
Very impressive muzzle brake so far and very easy to remove to clean and inspect the crown occasionally just don't get to ham fisted with it as it will lock up tight with just moderate tension applied.

Another vote for the heathen, area 419 is also very nice but I felt the heathen was more pleasant to shoot with concussion being less at the shooter etc

Reactions: Stoweit
Are either one of you also running a suppressor? The 419 seems to be tits if going suppressed! Does it require tools to remove?

That was the main reason I went with it, don't have the suppressor yet though.
And no it doesn't require tools for removal so long as you don't get overzealous when you tighten it down on the taper.
The tolerance and fit are very precise on the taper of the two parts so overtightening it will make it more difficult than is necessary to remove.
I didn't use anti seize on mine just a thin film of FP-10 since that's my preferred brand of snake oil.

Nice rifle by the way , glad to see someone with a real life report.

Thanks! I will get more data during next shooting session. I’m positive this gun will come in 3/8 groups or slightly under all day with reloads. For a factory rifle I think it can compete with Tikka all day minus the amazing smith actions that Tikka have. Just got to get the aftermarket support going!

Lack of love on this site isn’t based off it being a factory rifle. Think it’s mostly based off of perceived value of what you get versus cost.

That being said, value is set by the individual, and it looks like you got a rifle that you enjoy and shoots well for you.

Thanks for the report. This provides some user feedback that’s been missing from the conversation.

Lack of love on this site isn’t based off it being a factory rifle. Think it’s mostly based off of perceived value of what you get versus cost.

That being said, value is set by the individual, and it looks like you got a rifle that you enjoy and shoots well for you.

Thanks for the report. This provides some user feedback that’s been missing from the conversation.

I agree put in the context! It was hard making the discussion on the DD after reading personal opinions that was not a company or marketing team review off the DD Delta 5.
As of right now I’m very pleased with the purchase and would do it again and again. Was reading a thread on CA early of the night mare Customer Service and after talking with a DD representative I believe the stand behind the product.

The only concern I had when the rifle arrived was the barrel was not centered in the stock. With aluminum bedding block, this was easily corrected by loosening the action screws and resetting them correctly. Roughly 4 pieces of paper would slide down the the stock channel afterwards. Nothing shifted after the first range visit

Thanks

The only concern I had when the rifle arrived was the barrel was not centered in the stock.

This is a big pet peeve of mine. I bought a Bell and Carlson stock for a Tikka rifle and it won’t lineup center for nothing. The other two Bell and Carlson stocks I bought were perfect I should have sent it back, but I waited to long.

This is a big pet peeve of mine. I bought a Bell and Carlson stock for a Tikka rifle and it won’t lineup center for nothing. The other two Bell and Carlson stocks I bought were perfect I should have sent it back, but I waited to long.

I agree this was the first thing noticed when setting up the rifle to hit the range. Fortunately DD aluminum bedding block allowed for minor adjustments to correct perfectly.. One up for the DD with the aluminum bedding block!

I fondled one of these at SHOT and could't decide if I should be impressed or not. I liked many of the features and felt at the same time it lacked others. From a hunting or recreational shooting standpoint it looked good. From a precision rifle (for competition) standpoint they missed it. If the rifle had been a Rem 700 footprint and dropped the price $200 we would be having a different conversation.

New to the game using a 6.5 Creedmoor as well as posting on Snipers Hide although a long time reader. I know the DD Delta 5 has not got a lot of love on the site due to being a factory gun, but I thought getting into the long range game and hoping the modular platform takes off to support after market barrels and accessories.

Daniel Defense Delta 5
6.5 Creedmoor 24”
Vortex PST EBR-1 6-24x50
Vortex Precision PMR Rings Low
Trigger set at 2lb

View attachment 7148537View attachment 7148538View attachment 7148539

100 Yards
Ammo...
Hornady Match 147gr ELD
Only group shot due to time on the range breaking in the barrel.

Both images are the same group!
.42 5 shoot group 1 flyer
View attachment 7148534

.33 4 shot group - 1 flyer
View attachment 7148535

I haven’t starting reloading for the 6.5 Creedmoor yet. Does anyone know of a good temperature - stable powder for the TN weather?

Also a pole on the best self timing muzzle break would be awesome? Looking at the 419, heathen, jet blast & Little Bastard.
Thanks for pics and setup/performance info. Great looking rifle and thank you for helping with ring height selection. I just bought a 6.5cm delta 5 and will be here tomorrow! Glad to see a honest review. If I put 3 shots in one hole at 100 yards and bang steel at 1k yards all the nay sayers can eat my gun powder.
would like to see an update from you

First time shooting delta 5...3/8” groups at 100 yards w federal Berger match 130 grain ammo! Shooter and a keeper
C395A65D-D349-469B-B7B1-A26544C2C33E.jpeg
8AF416F4-4309-49E5-850F-6FA108F9E3AF.jpeg
715CCCC1-C8D2-4C94-B2F5-EFB3C4A6CF1F.jpeg

I just bought a DD ^5 in 6.5 two weeks ago. Mine was about $1500 and since I get a nice little military discount I went with a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5 -27x56 EBR-7c Milliradians (mill/MRAD) and will be running a Area419 Hellfire break and eventually a Silencer Co Suppressor(Thunderbeast Ultra 7 are on back order/sold out). The Hell fire is set up to thread directly into a silencer co suppressor from the research I have done. Yes Im new and the only experience I have with shooting is hunting with my Ruger .270 and Sitron 5-15x50 and Army issued M4. I shot expert with iron sights. I find it more fun to qualify that way.

I do need to find a good break in procedure.. Im thinking shoot 3 clean shoot 3 clean shoot 3 clean then shoot 5 clean x3?
Still need to buy a bipod and accessories.
Any tips for LR Precision shooting would be great!!

Attachments

• DD ^5 6.5.jpg
    DD ^5 6.5.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 64
I just bought a DD ^5 in 6.5 two weeks ago. Mine was about $1500 and since I get a nice little military discount I went with a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5 -27x56 EBR-7c Milliradians (mill/MRAD) and will be running a Area419 Hellfire break and eventually a Silencer Co Suppressor(Thunderbeast Ultra 7 are on back order/sold out). The Hell fire is set up to thread directly into a silencer co suppressor from the research I have done. Yes Im new and the only experience I have with shooting is hunting with my Ruger .270 and Sitron 5-15x50 and Army issued M4. I shot expert with iron sights. I find it more fun to qualify that way.

I do need to find a good break in procedure.. Im thinking shoot 3 clean shoot 3 clean shoot 3 clean then shoot 5 clean x3?
Nice setup- I am envious of your scope! You don’t need to break in the barrel, the beauty of cold hammer forged- you can shoot (accurately) right out of box. I cleaned my delta 5 before I shot it, fourth patch was clean. I use Harris bipods with Swiss arca rails and krg arca clamps. I also have a hog saddle tripod that accepts arca rails. I shot a variety of ammo and the federal Berger 130 grain match was impressive. Another thing I like about the barrel is high quickly it cools down. Also I put a small bead of action grease on the bolt and it slides nice and smooth. Give us an update on your range results.
I plan to shoot at 100 yard range again and then stretch it’s legs and bang steel soon.

Tip- get a good rear bag, get your stock in the bag really good and then relax and put your thumb on the ledge - not gripping with it.
btw I adjusted my trigger pull just below 1.5 lbs.

Tip- get a good rear bag, get your stock in the bag really good and then relax and put your thumb on the ledge - not gripping with it.
btw I adjusted my trigger pull just below 1.5 lbs.
I think I will adjust the trigger to be lighter, but I will take it to one of the LR guys around here to adjust it so I don't mess it up. Hopefully they have a trigger gauge to measure it. Military discount is a wonderful thing!! I couldn't have afforded most of this without the military discount. I saved a couple grand with the discount. I do need to buy bags and M lock with bipod for the stock. What are some good mid range priced shooting bags?
We have a range at Eastern Nebraska Gun club that has a 100, 300, and 600 yard range that I will have to check out. Luckily, the stores around here have some ammo. But middle of no where Nebraska is getting low on shooting supplies..

Bag= protektor model
Mid 1/2” leather
1” shorter BB bag
So I adjusted my Stock using the 90/90 rule. You place your arm at 90 degrees and trigger finger at 90 degrees. I used the thicker spacer they included as extras to take up the space. Im 6ft even. Just was curious how you adjusted your length of pull on your stock. Most people that are 6 ft have the same length of arms.

The best break in procedure is to go to the range with some quality ammo.
Shoot one, then another, then another, then another and so on until you:
A) run out of ammo
B) you get tired of shooting
(don't get the barrel too hot)

Go home, clean the rifle. make sure you use a bore guide, a good one piece rod and ammonia free cleaner.
get some more ammo,
go to the range and do it again.

Done.

I did a break in procedure once on a savage 10t 6.5 creedmoor. Rifle shot .5 with 147 eld m reloads. I did not do any kind of break in on my Bergara 6.5 creedmoor. Rifle shoots in the .2-.3 with most loads I have tried.

I agree put in the context! It was hard making the discussion on the DD after reading personal opinions that was not a company or marketing team review off the DD Delta 5.
As of right now I’m very pleased with the purchase and would do it again and again. Was reading a thread on CA early of the night mare Customer Service and after talking with a DD representative I believe the stand behind the product.

The only concern I had when the rifle arrived was the barrel was not centered in the stock. With aluminum bedding block, this was easily corrected by loosening the action screws and resetting them correctly. Roughly 4 pieces of paper would slide down the the stock channel afterwards. Nothing shifted after the first range visit

sorry to drag up an old thread but have a question. I took mine delta 5 apart and am not sure what kind of torque I need to put on the bolts for the stock and mini chassis. Any ideas? Need to make sure I put it back together straight as well, hopefully anyway...