• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dead Air…

Pickle Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
So I have a Sandman S that is off-center from the factory. I know they can fix a lot of stuff like baffle strikes, but what about if the whole thing is crooked? One of my guns is grazing the baffles and causing horrible accuracy. After hearing horror stories about DA I really want to have a backup can. I’m about to panic buy one.

And yes I sent this to DA, just waiting anxiously for a reply.

These are two different rifles

Attachments

• IMG_6317.jpeg
    IMG_6317.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6327.jpeg
    IMG_6327.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 90
Are you positive it's not the muzzle devices that are improperly machined? It could very well be the can, but best to make sure with another suppressor that you KNOW is straight and true. If you got any buddies, I'd check multiple cans on each rifle to ensure it's not the rifle threads or the mounting system.

What can is that? Nomad or Sandman? What mounts are you using? What muzzle devices are you using? Are they made by Dead Air?

Reactions: CIB2007
Are you positive it's not the muzzle devices that are improperly machined? It could very well be the can, but best to make sure with another suppressor that you KNOW is straight and true. If you got any buddies, I'd check multiple cans on each rifle to ensure it's not the rifle threads or the mounting system.

What can is that? Nomad or Sandman? What mounts are you using? What muzzle devices are you using? Are they made by Dead Air?
It’s a sandman. I test fit 3 30cal rifles, all with DA-made muzzle devices 2 brakes 1 FH, and got this result all three times. Could all three muzzle devices have the same defect? Of course, but seems ulikely to me.

None of my buddies have DA’s but thanks for suggestion.

It’s a sandman. I test fit 3 30cal rifles, all with DA-made muzzle devices 2 brakes 1 FH, and got this result all three times. Could all three muzzle devices have the same defect? Of course, but seems ulikely to me.

None of my buddies have DA’s but thanks for suggestion.
Looks like some more of that "high quality" KGM production and QC... Dead Air doesn't actually build their own cans. They design them in-house, then subcontract to another manufacturer to build their cans for them to their specs with their name on them. Most of their cans are built by KGM in Norcross, GA. Dead Air is based out of Utah. Unfortunately, subcontracting out of state has its pitfalls, and sometimes production issues and QA/QC issues can arise because of it.

Looks like some more of that "high quality" KGM production and QC... Dead Air doesn't actually build their own cans. They design them in-house, then subcontract to another manufacturer to build their cans for them to their specs with their name on them. Most of their cans are built by KGM in Norcross, GA. Dead Air is based out of Utah. Unfortunately, subcontracting out of state has its pitfalls, and sometimes production issues and QA/QC issues can arise because of it.
Yea, the can actually has Norcross on it. I just hope it can be fixed without having to re-serialize it. I guess I could use it as a dedicated 556 can.

Have a Sandman Ti, once threaded onto any barrel, isn't perfect when you use an alignment rod. I sent it in. Zero change. Mine isn't so bad as to give me baffle strikes, just a little off center. It's now mostly my 6.5CM target can. I wish you luck with Dead Air, they are exactly that to everybody here. Dead. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I unfortunately have three of their cans besides the Sandman Ti. My Sandman S and Nomad Ti have been trouble free.

Have a Sandman Ti, once threaded onto any barrel, isn't perfect when you use an alignment rod. I sent it in. Zero change. Mine isn't so bad as to give me baffle strikes, just a little off center. It's now mostly my 6.5CM target can. I wish you luck with Dead Air, they are exactly that to everybody here. Dead. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I unfortunately have three of their cans besides the Sandman Ti. My Sandman S and Nomad Ti have been trouble free.
Mine is pretty bad. I can’t even shoot supers out of my 300 BO with it on.

Great I recently got mine and have not shot thru it yet..................and yes their CS sucks I tried to contact them and have gotten no where on a simple question. I was going to buy another one as I like the keymo but I think I am going to be going another route now.

Great I recently got mine and have not shot thru it yet..................and yes their CS sucks I tried to contact them and have gotten no where on a simple question. I was going to buy another one as I like the keymo but I think I am going to be going another route now.
There’s nothing wrong with Keymo per se, it’s just heavy and expensive. There’s better options now.

Reactions: Supersubes

At the end of the day, it's still DA's problem and they are wholly responsible for the quality of the products that have their name on it. It's DA's fault they trusted a subcontractor to build their cans, and it's DA's fault that there's seemingly little to no QA/QC on DA labelled products. DA takes all the responsibility for the quality of this product, not KGM.

Hopefully the issue gets addressed to the OP's satisfaction.

Reactions: loveha and massFX
I have one of those Sandman S FDE military over runs, it is on my AR10 and has been fine. Have put about 600 rounds of 308 through it so far no issues
Good to hear. Apparently some of them came with marks near the end cap, which turns out meant they weren’t concentric.

• Wow
Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
I use Griffin Plan A as my mounting method. Some of their cans come with it built in, or you can buy a HUB adapter and run Plan A in any HUB threaded can.

The Griffin Recce 5K is an excellent, low backpressure option that’s right around $600-650. It has Plan A built in, and includes a muzzle device. For your 1K budget, you could get it, the stamp, and an extra muzzle device or two for your other rifles.

The Otter Creek Labs is another great option, that is HUB threaded so you can use whatever mounting system you desire. It comes with a direct thread adapter, and can be found around $550. It has a typical amount of backpressure for a “classic” type baffle setup.

Those are the two cans that I have a lot of time and experience on. Other good options would be a Huxwrx Flow 556K, which can probably be found around your budget limit, or stuff from Energetic Armament and YHM. I don’t have any personal experience with them, however.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I use Griffin Plan A as my mounting method. Some of their cans come with it built in, or you can buy a HUB adapter and run Plan A in any HUB threaded can.

The Griffin Recce 5K is an excellent, low backpressure option that’s right around $600-650. It has Plan A built in, and includes a muzzle device. For your 1K budget, you could get it, the stamp, and an extra muzzle device or two for your other rifles.

The Otter Creek Labs is another great option, that is HUB threaded so you can use whatever mounting system you desire. It comes with a direct thread adapter, and can be found around $550. It has a typical amount of backpressure for a “classic” type baffle setup.

Those are the two cans that I have a lot of time and experience on. Other good options would be a Huxwrx Flow 556K, which can probably be found around your budget limit, or stuff from Energetic Armament and YHM. I don’t have any personal experience with them, however.

Thank you appreciate the information

Reactions: Bluedog82
can you recommend a suppressor in 5.56 around 1k I would like to be able to switch it to different rifles
Probably still the best 5.56 can on the market... And you can buy 2 of them for that price... Quiet, sound quality is amazing, deep tone, precision built, lifetime warranty, duty-rated (heavy FA use), HUB threads, and affordable. I'm glad the Polonium came out when it did, because it saved me from buying a Dead Air Sierra5 and getting screwed on that deal (knowing my luck I would have gotten one of the "Maraca Edition" Sierra5's).

I've had my (full-size) Polo for about 2 years now (from purchase, stamp approval took forever), and I'm still thoroughly happy with it.

IMG_1310.jpeg
IMG_1313.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ironpony52
Probably still the best 5.56 can on the market... And you can buy 2 of them for that price... Quiet, sound quality is amazing, deep tone, precision built, lifetime warranty, duty-rated (heavy FA use), HUB threads, and affordable. I'm glad the Polonium came out when it did, because it saved me from buying a Dead Air Sierra5 and getting screwed on that deal (knowing my luck I would have gotten one of the "Maraca Edition" Sierra5's).

I've had my (full-size) Polo for about 2 years now, and I'm still thoroughly happy with it.

looks like they have a dealer a few miles from me, Thank you.

Reactions: FuhQ
looks like they have a dealer a few miles from me, Thank you.
You won't regret that purchase. It's one of the best sounding and quietest 5.56 cans on the market. Everyone who's heard mine is shocked that it only costs $550.

The OCL guys are good folks, too... I helped them do pre-production testing on their Hydrogen line of precision rifle suppressors. I got a Hydrogen-S 7.62 and a Hydrogen-L 7.62 to start out with, and was so impressed, that later I got a Polonium and a Hydrogen-S 6.5mm, too.

The Aero Lahar has HUB mounting for keymo FYI. Others do too. I just back ordered a Lahar 30L.

I've had my (full-size) Polo for about 2 years now (from purchase, stamp approval took forever), and I'm still thoroughly happy with it.

View attachment 8396003View attachment 8396004View attachment 8396005
“probably still the best”

Stop lying to people…you’re so full of shit you should be ashamed of yourself.

Prove me wrong then asshole. What’s better? You want to call people out, you’d better have facts to prove it. The PEW science data didn’t lie when it showed it was the quietest (at the muzzle) 5.56 can. I said “probably” because I haven’t kept up with the data to see if anyone had topped it, but I haven’t heard of anything.

You want to talk shit and call people out, you’d better prove it or STFU.

Last edited:
"Best" is subjective and there's many metrics beyond just dB readings to determine what's the "best" suppressor for any given use and user.

That said, the OCL cans look like a good product. I don't think they are a standalone "best", that's a matter of opinion that will differ from user to user.

Reactions: FuhQ
"Best" is subjective and there's many metrics beyond just dB readings to determine what's the "best" suppressor for any given use and user.

That said, the OCL cans look like a good product. I don't think they are a standalone "best", that's a matter of opinion that will differ from user to user.
I’ll agree with that, but idiotically spouting off easily-disproven bullshit just because it’s not your favorite brand, or because you have some personal issue with someone, and claiming someone else is lying, is just retarded. “Best” is absolutely subjective, and muzzle numbers aren’t everything. I was including build quality, tone, price, and precision in that “best” category, as far as an all-encompassing descriptor once you factor everything together. Thousands of other online posts and videos proving it’s not just hype is also a factor. If someone chooses to remain ignorant from personal bias, they’re welcome to, but dragging that into a facts discussion is stupid.

Reactions: kthomas
Prove me wrong then asshole. What’s better? You want to call people out, you’d better have facts to prove it. The PEW science data didn’t lie when it showed it was the quietest (at the muzzle) 5.56 can. I said “probably” because I haven’t kept up with the data to see if anyone had topped it, but I haven’t heard of anything.

You want to talk shit and call people out, you’d better prove it or STFU.
Shills like you is why pew science exists. That’s probably you’re dummy account you’re advising?

“What, a random person says this can is the best? Oh gee jolly willikers thanks mister, going to go buy that right now without doing any other research.”

Gimme a break

Shills like you is why pew science exists. That’s probably you’re dummy account you’re advising?

“What, a random person says this can is the best? Oh gee jolly willikers thanks mister, going to go buy that right now without doing any other research.”

Gimme a break
Shills like me? I bought all my cans. And I don’t even completely trust PEW science (I’ve stated that many times). I’m not a member of PEW, and have been skeptical the entire time, since he won’t disclose his evaluation system. HOWEVER, his numbers were nearly identical to the independent TBAC numbers at their “silencer summit” for every OCL can (and Dead Air, and TBAC can) tested. So the numbers that Jay got obviously weren’t that far off. I have zero affiliation with any firearms or suppressor company. Not that I need to justify anything to some half-retard like you, but the fact you are so adamant I’m a shill is both sad and pathetic. Go deepthroat your Q cans.

You won't regret that purchase. It's one of the best sounding and quietest 5.56 cans on the market. Everyone who's heard mine is shocked that it only costs $550.

The OCL guys are good folks, too... I helped them do pre-production testing on their Hydrogen line of precision rifle suppressors. I got a Hydrogen-S 7.62 and a Hydrogen-L 7.62 to start out with, and was so impressed, that later I got a Polonium and a Hydrogen-S 6.5mm, too.

Have you heard a comparison to the Polonium-30? I'd expect slightly more noise (it seems to be the same size and weight, just bigger bore) but the tradeoff in versatility may be worth it.

Have you heard a comparison to the Polonium-30? I'd expect slightly more noise (it seems to be the same size and weight, just bigger bore) but the tradeoff in versatility may be worth it.
I have not heard (or seen) a Polo 30 in person yet. According to Andrew it is the exact same as the Polonium 5.56 in every way, just a .30 caliber bore instead of 6mm. Based on a rough comparison between my Hydrogen-S 7.62 and Hydrogen-S 6.5mm I'd assume there will be a somewhat noticeable difference. Because there is a noticeable difference between the same exact can in a .30 caliber and 6.5mm bore.

According to Andrew, when I talked to him about it a while back (before release), it would be fairly similar in performance as my Sandman-S cans. Which is why I never got a Polo 30, because I already have 2 Sandman-S cans. I'm still not opposed to getting a Polo 30 someday to keep on one of my home defense shorty .300 BLK pistols, like I do with my SMS cans.

If you don't already have a Sandman-S, and you want a .30 caliber duty rated can, but with HUB mount compatibility, then I'd opt for a Polo 30.

Reactions: Yondering
I have not heard (or seen) a Polo 30 in person yet. According to Andrew it is the exact same as the Polonium 5.56 in every way, just a .30 caliber bore instead of 6mm. Based on a rough comparison between my Hydrogen-S 7.62 and Hydrogen-S 6.5mm I'd assume there will be a somewhat noticeable difference. Because there is a noticeable difference between the same exact can in a .30 caliber and 6.5mm bore.

According to Andrew, when I talked to him about it a while back (before release), it would be fairly similar in performance as my Sandman-S cans. Which is why I never got a Polo 30, because I already have 2 Sandman-S cans. I'm still not opposed to getting a Polo 30 someday to keep on one of my home defense shorty .300 BLK pistols, like I do with my SMS cans.

If you don't already have a Sandman-S, and you want a .30 caliber duty rated can, but with HUB mount compatibility, then I'd opt for a Polo 30.

I'm a big fan of the HUB mount system, since I make my own line of mounts that most of my rifles have on them. Pretty easy to make another female mount for a HUB system suppressor, and then it works on any of my rifles of the appropriate caliber & cartridge. Other than .22 and pistol cans I don't really do direct thread mounting any more.

Any sane person would blame the threads on an AK, especially with a .311 bullet diameter.
One of the main reasons I went ahead with the trade with my buddy for his like-new PSA GF5 AK that he wanted to trade me. It has the FNH cold hammer forged barrel with the bore-centric threads, so running a can is fine. Not to mention it’s a tack-driver, even with cheap Wolf steel case. Works awesome with my Sandman-S. 👍🏼

IMG_1416.jpeg

Reactions: mark5pt56

Hey, he's on my ignore list (I had to look at his comments this time around) but he isn't wrong. The OCL's tested very well not only by PEW but by TBAC and their big silencer summit. 20/20 hindsight, I should have purchased the Otter Creek over the Sierra 5. It does indeed meter better, it's lighter, less expensive and didn't have the whole Dead Air/KGM shit show I experienced first hand with my Sierra 5.

Reactions: Gtscotty