• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dead Air Mask vs TBAC Takedown?

troythomas

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2022
Oregon
Hi fellas, new to the 22 world and looking to pick up my first can.

Can't decide between these two cans. Based on my research here, they're both very similar. The best price I could find for the Mask is $365 shipped, versus $335 for the Takedown. Are these good prices?

Also considering the Rugged Oculus, but is it even worth shooting in the short configuration on pistols?

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
I have the Dead Air Mask. Got it when there was a promotion on that and another Dead Air can. I don't have anything negative on the Mask at all. It's been a good shooter. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have a handful of TBAC cans and there all awesome also.

I hear they're both good cans, but I'm partial to my Dead Air Mask HD. I like the design better, it's robust, super quiet, accuracy has been phenomenal on my guns (it's a precision rimfire can), and it has virtually zero first-round pop. The stainless baffles can be easily cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner with purple power or CLR. I highly recommend it. 👍🏼

Honestly, no hate on Rugged, as I own an Obsidian 45, but modular rimfire cans are kind of stupid. I'd stick with the Mask HD. And yes, that's a pretty good price on it. I think I paid $399 or $429 for mine back in 2020.

No experience with the TBAC either, but I've been very happy with my Mask. Extremely quiet with subsonic ammo, no noticeable first round pop whatsoever. I'm thinking about getting another .22 suppressor and like mine enough that I'll probably get a second Mask (unless someone can convince me to get a CGS Hydra SS or OSS Rad 22).

Reactions: FuhQ
I have 2 sparrows one on a ruger 22/45 and the other on a Remington M597, just got in a Dead Air mask last week for my Bergara 14R 22 and ordered a TBAC takedown on Monday for my Bergara BMR 17HMR hoping 4 months or less

apparently I can’t decide

A friend and myself both have 18" Vudoo's. He runs the Dead Air mask and I have been using a Tactical Solutions Axiom. Its not as popular, but we both found it to be noticeably quieter than the mask shooting the same lot of ammo. POI is the same with or without the can at Zero distance and is as easy to maintenance as the others mentioned. Groups are as small or smaller with the Axiom installed.

I picked up a KGM RF22 because when I spoke with the guy's at KGM they said that cleanup can be as easy as disassembling and wiping the crud off of the baffles with a paper towel because of the coating on the baffles. Admittedly, I haven't been able to confirm this yet. The can is also extremely light. Specs say 4.2oz, I confirmed on two scales that mine weighs 3.9oz. Odd, considering my two KGM centerfire cans weigh 2oz more than spec. The other cans are all in that 6oz range including my Axiom mentioned above.

Anyway, the biggest pain of rimfire cans is that they require more maintenance than centerfire. So if cleanup is as easy as KGM says, it's a win in my book.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Dead Air Mask or the TBAC as well. Just more food for thought.

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
Hi fellas, new to the 22 world and looking to pick up my first can.

Can't decide between these two cans. Based on my research here, they're both very similar. The best price I could find for the Mask is $365 shipped, versus $335 for the Takedown. Are these good prices?

Also considering the Rugged Oculus, but is it even worth shooting in the short configuration on pistols?
Where are you finding the takedown for 335$? Ha

No experience with the TBAC either, but I've been very happy with my Mask. Extremely quiet with subsonic ammo, no noticeable first round pop whatsoever. I'm thinking about getting another .22 suppressor and like mine enough that I'll probably get a second Mask (unless someone can convince me to get a CGS Hydra SS or OSS Rad 22).
Same here. I'm looking at getting a 2nd Mask for my pistols and .17 HMR.

I like CGS, but not a fan of the Hydra, and I don't care for OSS cans. You can't go wrong with a 2nd Mask.

I have shot both side by side. Both are plenty quiet and the TBAC has less FRP.

So I bought a TBAC. And then I bought a second because they are that good. No, really.
I'm calling bullshit on that first statement... There is virtually zero FRP from a Mask HD (the baffles are purpose-designed to alleviate it). So it's pretty much impossible for the human ear to tell that the TBAC might have less. Just admit you fanboy'd over TBAC, and that's your brand. There's no shame in that, we've all done it. But don't shill and make up easily debunkable stories by people who have also heard both cans shot side-by-side. They're pretty damn close to each other in every aspect. You might fool newbie internet rando's, but not people who actually have spent inordinate amounts of time around guns and suppressors. 🤦🏼

Reactions: Blue72 and Pomyluy
@FuhQ hasn’t seen a DA product he didn’t like.
Actually I have... I don't like the Odessa at all...It looks ugly, and is too skinny to be truly effective, IMO. I don't really care for the Sandman-L. Back in the day it was great, but with all of today's amazing options, it's too long and heavy for what you get. And while we're being honest, I have shot the Wolfman and the Wolverine, and I'm indifferent to those, as well. They suppress, but I wasn't blown away by them. I haven't had the chance to shoot a Primal can yet, so I have no idea if I like it, or not? 🤷🏼

I got the Mask when it first came out and love it. I also would not hesitate to buy a TBAC. It's really personal preference between the two.

I was researching both awhile back , reviews were back and forth on both as to which was the best , I discussed with a dealer and he said , IIRC, for a rifle they recommend tba take down as they tested and it was a bit quieter with no first round pop than the mask , I think the mask was better on a pistole
Call a couple of the big dealers that do reviews /testing and see what they recommend

I'm calling bullshit on that first statement... There is virtually zero FRP from a Mask HD (the baffles are purpose-designed to alleviate it). So it's pretty much impossible for the human ear to tell that the TBAC might have less. Just admit you fanboy'd over TBAC, and that's your brand. There's no shame in that, we've all done it. But don't shill and make up easily debunkable stories by people who have also heard both cans shot side-by-side. They're pretty damn close to each other in every aspect. You might fool newbie internet rando's, but not people who actually have spent inordinate amounts of time around guns and suppressors. 🤦🏼

I absolutely am a Thunderbeast fanboy. I have lots of their cans.

I run a monthly rimfire match and the majority of the people that shoot it are shooting with cans.

A little more FRP from the mask is just my observation.

Enjoy your weekend.

Occulus rocks in it's short config....

Rarely shoot it in the long config.....

Just saying.....

Reactions: wb00757
I did lots of reading and research last year and settled on the Mask. No first hand experience with either since my Mask is under eforms review going on 150 days.....90 days my freaking ass. I'm dreading cleaning up, so if there is a better option with less cleanup I would consider that.

I did lots of reading and research last year and settled on the Mask. No first hand experience with either since my Mask is under eforms review going on 150 days.....90 days my freaking ass. I'm dreading cleaning up, so if there is a better option with less cleanup I would consider that.
There will be no option with any easier cleanup. The Mask has 17-4 stainless baffles, so you can clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner with Purple Power solution. I don't even dilute mine, just run it straight, and then filter it afterwards to get lead deposits out of it, and reuse it again and again. 👍🏼

I've got the 22TD. Can't find a fault with it. But my recommendation is don't take advice from anyone who doesn't actually own both. My newest is Rugged Mustang. An ECCO and Quietbore kit round out the meager rimfire collection. Never could understand why people buy a second of something they own. Variety is the spice of life.

Country shooter
How is the quiet bore kit compared to the other cans

9969CB4B-499F-4ED8-AB87-D5C233DC59F9.jpeg

There will be no option with any easier cleanup. The Mask has 17-4 stainless baffles, so you can clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner with Purple Power solution. I don't even dilute mine, just run it straight, and then filter it afterwards to get lead deposits out of it, and reuse it again and again. 👍🏼

Lol.

Reactions: Charger442
Country shooter
How is the quiet bore kit compared to the other cans
Light is right when it comes to suppressors. The QB is light. It's also the loudest of my 4 on a pistol. It is a bit closer on a rifle. I bought it because of the Form 1 wait time. Unless you are truly a machinist who likes to make things from scratch, I wouldn't recommend F1 now with e-file, and the added difficulty getting a F1 approved. YMMV

I have both these cans, and have had both for a few years now. I've used both on bolt-action 22s, semi-auto 10/22s, and a couple semi-auto 22 pistols. The TBAC can seems noticeably lighter to me, but the DeadAir isn't exactly heavy. The DeadAir eliminates the first-round pop, so it's easier on sensitive ears on that first shot. The DeadAir seems to be slightly more accurate on my rifles with my ammo - YMMV. I think I paid close to $500 for my TBAC Takedown, good to see they're cheaper now. Both clean easily and seem equally quiet after the first shot.

If weight is a primary concern for you, get the TBAC. If first-round pop and cost are top priorities for you, get the DeadAir. I would not recommend a purchase based on my anecdotal accuracy experiences; it's only 1 can's data with 1 shooter and a variety of ammo over a few years.

I have both these cans, and have had both for a few years now. I've used both on bolt-action 22s, semi-auto 10/22s, and a couple semi-auto 22 pistols. The TBAC can seems noticeably lighter to me, but the DeadAir isn't exactly heavy. The DeadAir eliminates the first-round pop, so it's easier on sensitive ears on that first shot. The DeadAir seems to be slightly more accurate on my rifles with my ammo - YMMV. I think I paid close to $500 for my TBAC Takedown, good to see they're cheaper now. Both clean easily and seem equally quiet after the first shot.

If weight is a primary concern for you, get the TBAC. If first-round pop and cost are top priorities for you, get the DeadAir. I would not recommend a purchase based on my anecdotal accuracy experiences; it's only 1 can's data with 1 shooter and a variety of ammo over a few years.
Thank you for giving an honest, unbiased opinion based on facts and experience.

Reactions: Trent A
You will be happy with either. I got the DA Mask HD with the titanium body. I am 100% happy with it. Very easy to clean. Impact on accuracy is minimal. On the one rifle I checked this on, the POI did shift down to the left perhaps 1/4” at 100y but was not noticeable at 50y. Note, If I am shooting benchrest, I would take it off since any shift is too much. I cannot hear any measurable 1st rd pop with the mask. It is stunningly quiet with subsonic ammo. Appears to be well made.

Reactions: nikonNUT and FuhQ
Are these buy now prices or will they be lower for Black Friday?

Also, does TBAC still do the group buys?

Are these buy now prices or will they be lower for Black Friday?

Also, does TBAC still do the group buys?
I've never seen regular prices as low as he's saying, but, I suppose he might get them cheaper if he's getting LEO/FR/MIL discount pricing somewhere? I think @Silencer Shop does LE/MIL discount if you call them up to order it, but I could be mistaken.

Buying a can using their Kiosk with the digital fingerprints is the easiest thing ever, once you've setup your account and have all the info in their system.

I use purple power or CLR too. I put the stainless steel parts only in a small glass Jar filled just enough to cover the part, soak it for 15 min and then float the Jar it the tub of the ultrasonic cleaner that is full of water and run 1 or 2 - 480 sec cycles and its done. I thought it was BS but tried it and it works, the parts look like new and the Ultrasonic cleaner tub is brand new clean. I saw process on YT, check it out for yourself to see if its for you. Quick, simple and no mess. Keep it clean, have fun and bring 3X the amount needed the DA eats it by the pound.

I use purple power or CLR too. I put the stainless steel parts only in a small glass Jar filled just enough to cover the part, soak it for 15 min and then float the Jar it the tub of the ultrasonic cleaner that is full of water and run 1 or 2 - 480 sec cycles and its done. I thought it was BS but tried it and it works, the parts look like new and the Ultrasonic cleaner tub is brand new clean. I saw process on YT, check it out for yourself to see if its for you. Quick, simple and no mess. Keep it clean, have fun and bring 3X the amount needed the DA eats it by the pound.
I thought I read CLR is bad for SS baffles. I think I will try the rock tumbler with 1/4" media. Or maybe half inch, not sure which is commonly used for this purpose.

I thought I read CLR is bad for SS baffles. I think I will try the rock tumbler with 1/4" media. Or maybe half inch, not sure which is commonly used for this purpose.
Good video on cleaning, it check out. . 10 to 20 minutes works for me. Here one on a cleaning a Mask .

Good video on cleaning, it check out. . 10 to 20 minutes works for me. Here one on a cleaning a Mask .

If the CLR does what the "Dip" does, then you have solubilized lead in that solution and needs to be disposed of properly. I will have to see what CLR contains to make confirm.

So in all seriousness, which one would y’all pickup for accuracy only….and hopefully no POi shift. I have a gemtech and shoot it with my vudoo and it does well. It’s super light weight too. Has some poi of impact shift but haven’t been able to shoot enough rounds to really have an opinion or enough data to say. BUT, I’m not going to pretend to think it’s as good as the mask or Tbac. For accuracy only, which one would y’all choose. Kind of surprised most of you haven’t said Tbac over and over as that’s what they are known for. Not hating on either at all, I have both a Deadair sandman s and a Tbac ultra 7 in atf jail.

No intention to highjack this. Just a continuation

Last edited:
Soooooo,,,,,,,if you take a tbac , mask , silencer co switchback etc etc etc and put it on several rifles of different makes and or several rifles of same make/ model you will get different results , rimfire is very different than center fire , it’s like what ammo is the best , every rifle same make model different make models react differently to the same ammo or different ammo and suppressors have the same affect

So in all seriousness, which one would y’all pickup for accuracy only….and hopefully no POI…. I have a gemtech and shoot it with my vudoo and it does well. It’s super light weight too. Has some poi of impact shift but haven’t been able to shoot enough rounds to really have an opinion or enough data to say. BUT, I’m not going to pretend to think it’s as good as the mask or Tbac. For accuracy only, which one would y’all choose. Kind of surprised most of you haven’t said Tbac over and over as that’s what they are known for. Not hating on either at all, I have both a Deadair sandman s and a Tbac ultra 7 in atf jail.

No intention to highjack this. Just a continuation
Both are good, but IMO biased opinion, go Mask. I have noticed zero group size affected with and without. To me, that is a sign of a true precision suppressor.

Soooooo,,,,,,,if you take a tbac , mask , silencer co switchback etc etc etc and put it on several rifles of different makes and or several rifles of same make/ model you will get different results , rimfire is very different than center fire , it’s like what ammo is the best , every rifle same make model different make models react differently to the same ammo or different ammo and suppressors have the same affect
I’m noticing this, but my experience has been consistent between my custom 1911-22, my custom 10/22, and my CA Ranger 22 with my Mask with CCI SV. Minimal/no group size impact. Maybe I got lucky? 😂 I’ll take lucky over good any day.

Reactions: 68hoyt
A while back I was playing with testing accuracy from a mechanical rest.

We have a really nice one here at the Olympic Training Center and getting my Anschutz 2018 bolted into it was easy. This rifle has a Benchmark 2 groove with a Eley EPS chamber. No scope, Warner/Gehmann rear with a Stallings front.

We compared TBAC TakeDown, SiCo Sparrow & Warlock, DA Mask, Tactical Innovations TA-52, ECCO Ocelot, Keystone Situator, AAC Element and an old JET. Most of the cans tested were my own personal cans. Ammo was lot tested Eley Tenex.

Shooting on electronic targets at 50 meters we were able to conclude that baffle stack design had little effect on accuracy like I assumed it would. We didnt have a sound meter so we didnt even pay attention to that.

There was always a POI shift but that is to be expected when hanging a few ounces on the end of a 26 inch barrel.

Accuracy was still there after a little tuner adjustment.

Long story short, it comes down to the barrel and ammo.

Happy 4th y'alls.

I was pretty set on the TBAC Takedown for $335.

However, my dealer also has the Rugged Oculus for $335, plus Rugged's $177 gift card (which I'll prob sell here since I don't have any other Rugged cans).

My only host is a TX-22, and eventually a precision rifle.

Help me decide!

Mask and tbac are virtually the same, so buy which ever is in stock with confidence. I was in the same boat as OP and ended up buying a tbac takedown because of Zack’s presence here on the hide. I also like how tbac is owned and run by the kind of shooters i aspire to be. They purpose build and cater to hide members with a no drama no bullshit attitude, so they got my money.

Happy 4th y'alls.

I was pretty set on the TBAC Takedown for $335.

However, my dealer also has the Rugged Oculus for $335, plus Rugged's $177 gift card (which I'll prob sell here since I don't have any other Rugged cans).

My only host is a TX-22, and eventually a precision rifle.

Help me decide!
Where are you finding the takedown for 335$?

I’m noticing this, but my experience has been consistent between my custom 1911-22, my custom 10/22, and my CA Ranger 22 with my Mask with CCI SV. Minimal/no group size impact. Maybe I got lucky? 😂 I’ll take lucky over good any day.
Thanks , good to know it has been consistent on multiple platforms
I need to test this out myself

Reactions: FuhQ