• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dead Air Nomad Ti Severe Failure

uppercut11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2020
I thought I would share this experience for a couple of reasons:
1) Information for others that have or are thinking of purchasing this or similar suppressors.
2) To see if others have had this happen and what the resolution was.

For background, I have 353 rounds total through this suppressor. All of the rounds are on my Seekins Element 6.5 PRC. I am not running hot loads.

A few weeks ago I took the first shot of the day and noticed that the recoil felt stiffer than normal and also notice that the shot was louder (I was still wearing ear plugs). When I came out of the scope I noticed that my Armageddon mirage cover was blown apart. Upon further inspection, I was missing the end of the suppressor. It took me some time with a metal detector, but I located the end about 25 yards downrange.

Prior to shooting I confirmed as always that the suppressor was threaded on tightly. I use the Area419 hellfire adapter system. The bullet went through the chronograph at expected velocity and impacted the target at the expected point. There was no bullet strike to the suppressor.

I filled out a warranty request, got an automated shipping label, and shipped it out to Dead Air. To my surprise, it was shipping to Georgia instead of Utah, where Dead Air is based. Apparently their factory is in Georgia. After having no contact with anyone for most of a week after they received it, I decided to contact Dead Air. I called them multiple times, but only got a recording basically saying that you have to email them as they will not answer the phone. I emailed and did get a response back within a few hours, but really haven't been able to get any satisfactory information.

My initial email basically asked why it was sent to Georgia, what I could expect to happen, what the timeline would be, and if they would also give me a credit of some type for the mirage cover that was ruined by the suppressor failure. The response back was just a few lines that confirmed the factory was in Georgia and said they would determine if it was repairable (did not answer the questions on timeline or mirage cover). I asked what would happen if it was not repairable and the response was that they would do a destruction letter and replace it, but there would be a long tax stamp wait (nothing they can do about that). I responded asking that they make sure the e-brake and Area419 adapter were returned to me if they could not repair it. I left them installed when I shipped it to them thinking they may want to examine it in the condition it was in. I got no response so I resent an email the following day asking again for the timeline to figure out if they could repair it and asking again that they return the e-brake and adapter to me if it couldn't be repaired. I got a response that they would have a tech inspect it when they received it and determine everything from there and that he asked the techs to hold on to my other parts to return to me. This response confused me since they had already had the suppressor for several days. It seemed odd that he wouldn't know that as I included the RMA number in my first email. I responded that they had received it about a week ago and asked how long the wait would be to get it looked at. I received no response for 3 days. I emailed again with the same email yesterday and still haven't received a response.

So far I am sorry to say that I am pretty disappointed with the customer service at Dead Air. I haven't been able to actually talk to a person and have to email multiple times to get questions answered. I still don't have any timeline on when I will even find out if it is something they can fix or if they will have to do a replacement. There seems to be a disconnect between customer service and the factory since the customer service rep didn't even know they already had the suppressor back.

I use this suppressor on my hunting rifle and am really anxious for information with hunting season approaching.

I really hope Dead Air turns this situation around and that I have a positive experience to share in the end, but I am getting less hopeful of this by the day.

Attachments

• IMG_9507.jpg
    IMG_9507.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_9504.jpg
    IMG_9504.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 669
  • IMG_9503.jpg
    IMG_9503.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_9493.jpg
    IMG_9493.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 654
  • Wow
Reactions: Trent A and BurtG
That’s really disappointing.

I’ve got ~2k rounds of 6.5C through mine (also w/e-brake & Hellfire mount) without issue.

I think Dead Air turned over manufacturing and maintenance to KGM out of Georgia? And it sounds like their quality control is broken and many of their cans are catastrophically breaking. There are a bunch of threads out there about their 5.56 cans just coming apart after a few rounds. Good luck, I think the growing consensus is that. Dead Air has basically gone from a premium brand to something to be avoided, basically overnight.

Dead Air is a marketing company. KGM is for all intents and purposes the “real” Dead Air.

Reactions: Trent A
Don’t count on getting it back by hunting season. some of the Sierra 5 guys are 3 months in waiting on repairs.

Reactions: dmcfarland
I think Dead Air turned over manufacturing and maintenance to KGM out of Georgia? And it sounds like their quality control is broken and many of their cans are catastrophically breaking. There are a bunch of threads out there about their 5.56 cans just coming apart after a few rounds. Good luck, I think the growing consensus is that. Dead Air has basically gone from a premium brand to something to be avoided, basically overnight.

I'm not sure if Dead Air ever manufactured their cans. Maybe they did at some point. I believe KGM has been the manufacturer for DA for years.

It was a foolish business decision for DA to be reliant on others for the manufacturing of their product. They should've at least created their own manufacturing center(s) once they got their feet off the ground and started to become popular.

I'm not sure if Dead Air ever manufactured their cans. Maybe they did at some point. I believe KGM has been the manufacturer for DA for years.

It was a foolish business decision for DA to be reliant on others for the manufacturing of their product. They should've at least created their own manufacturing center(s) once they got their feet off the ground and started to become popular.
Easier to sit back and more lucrative to outsource and not invest in the buildings and machinery, then pray and hope it goes as planned. Look at how many companies outsource to China and have issues and then it almost ruins the name forever. They end up sending engineers over to watch production and make sure QC/QA is being done.

Easier to sit back and more lucrative to outsource and not invest in the buildings and machinery, then pray and hope it goes as planned. Look at how many companies outsource to China and have issues and then it almost ruins the name forever. They end up sending engineers over to watch production and make sure QC/QA is being done.

I'm not convinced its more lucrative. You're paying another company (who also needs to turn a profit), to perform an operation for your business you could do yourself. Not to mention the reputational cost, as you point out.

I do think outsourcing is "easier", and may be a good option when starting up. But at the size DA was and is, it was foolish to rely on another company for manufacturing of your own product. I'm sure they are realizing that now though.

Reactions: Trent A and BurtG
My first can was a dead air nomad lt. Its been good, so far.., but stories like this scare me. I've since purchased 2 tbac cans and that will be my brand moving forward. I hope you get it resovled in a positive manner, and soon!

Last edited:
Dang that sucks.. its almost looks like there's no weld on the last baffle judging from the pic. was actually looking at one of these in the near future but may stick to my heavy sandman. hope it gets turned around in your favor.

Reactions: lash
1) Information for others that have or are thinking of purchasing this or similar suppressors.

For background, I have 353 rounds total through this suppressor. All of the rounds are on my Seekins Element 6.5 PRC. I am not running hot loads.

A few weeks ago I took the first shot of the day and noticed that the recoil felt stiffer than normal and also notice that the shot was louder (I was still wearing ear plugs). When I came out of the scope I noticed that my Armageddon mirage cover was blown apart. Upon further inspection, I was missing the end of the suppressor. It took me some time with a metal detector, but I located the end about 25 yards downrange.

Prior to shooting I confirmed as always that the suppressor was threaded on tightly. I use the Area419 hellfire adapter system. The bullet went through the chronograph at expected velocity and impacted the target at the expected point. There was no bullet strike to the suppressor.

I filled out a warranty request, got an automated shipping label, and shipped it out to Dead Air. To my surprise, it was shipping to Georgia instead of Utah, where Dead Air is based. Apparently their factory is in Georgia. After having no contact with anyone for most of a week after they received it, I decided to contact Dead Air. I called them multiple times, but only got a recording basically saying that you have to email them as they will not answer the phone. I emailed and did get a response back within a few hours, but really haven't been able to get any satisfactory information.

My initial email basically asked why it was sent to Georgia, what I could expect to happen, what the timeline would be, and if they would also give me a credit of some type for the mirage cover that was ruined by the suppressor failure. The response back was just a few lines that confirmed the factory was in Georgia and said they would determine if it was repairable (did not answer the questions on timeline or mirage cover). I asked what would happen if it was not repairable and the response was that they would do a destruction letter and replace it, but there would be a long tax stamp wait (nothing they can do about that). I responded asking that they make sure the e-brake and Area419 adapter were returned to me if they could not repair it. I left them installed when I shipped it to them thinking they may want to examine it in the condition it was in. I got no response so I resent an email the following day asking again for the timeline to figure out if they could repair it and asking again that they return the e-brake and adapter to me if it couldn't be repaired. I got a response that they would have a tech inspect it when they received it and determine everything from there and that he asked the techs to hold on to my other parts to return to me. This response confused me since they had already had the suppressor for several days. It seemed odd that he wouldn't know that as I included the RMA number in my first email. I responded that they had received it about a week ago and asked how long the wait would be to get it looked at. I received no response for 3 days. I emailed again with the same email yesterday and still haven't received a response.

So far I am sorry to say that I am pretty disappointed with the customer service at Dead Air. I haven't been able to actually talk to a person and have to email multiple times to get questions answered. I still don't have any timeline on when I will even find out if it is something they can fix or if they will have to do a replacement. There seems to be a disconnect between customer service and the factory since the customer service rep didn't even know they already had the suppressor back.

I use this suppressor on my hunting rifle and am really anxious for information with hunting season approaching.

I really hope Dead Air turns this situation around and that I have a positive experience to share in the end, but I am getting less hopeful of this by the day.
Please keep us updated I have nomad ti and wish I would have just saved a little more to get tbac. Next .30 cal can will be tbac for sure. I know all manufacturers have issues but the forum are quite littered with sierra and nomad ti having issues with coming apart. Hopefully they make everything right for you.

That looks kind of familiar, here's my thread:

Here's another similar case posted up here:

Basically weld penetration problems, the first repair on mine cracked at the weld, so had to go back, second repair has been fine, and it's living predominately on my 18" 6.5 CM, 16" .308, 18" 6mm ARC and 18" 300 WSM... Figured I'd find any weld penetration issues with the WSM.

Reactions: Trent A and lash
That looks kind of familiar, here's my thread:

Here's another similar case posted up here:

Basically weld penetration problems, the first repair on mine cracked at the weld, so had to go back, second repair has been fine, and it's living predominately on my 18" 6.5 CM, 16" .308, 18" 6mm ARC and 18" 300 WSM... Figured I'd find any weld penetration issues with the WSM.
So looking at your thread they actually were able to repair the can and also replaced your mirage cover? That is what I am hoping for but I can't get any communication from them. Any tips?

Anyone have advice for getting them to actually respond again to my emails or talk to someone on the phone? They have had it almost two work weeks and I can't get any information. I am getting very frustrated.

Last edited:
Anyone have advice for getting them to actually respond again to my emails or talk to someone on the phone? They have had it almost two work weeks and I can't get any information. I am getting very frustrated.
If you have them on social media, reach out to them there. ive noticed they tend to market there a lot and usually follow up questions rather quickly and may can put you into contact with someone in warranty quicker than they respond to emails given you already have a work order in.

Reactions: Trent A and lash
Hi @uppercut11,

First off, sorry this happened to you! Since you PM'd me also, I'll directly address some things there, but for the people publicly now invested in this, the suppressor and cover will be replaced. Based on the pictures, that weld bead was offset from the seam and it had very minimal penetration, which explains the separation.

The good news is two-fold:
1. This used to be a somewhat automated process and any small variation in setup could yield this. We worked with the plant (yes, KGM does the welding on this) and we've improved the process so an operator has to verify every weld alignment and adjust as needed.
2. This is easily repairable.

There are over 40-50K Nomad suppressors out in the wild and these occasionally pop up. Most are from a year or more ago because it takes that long to get through distribution channels and then the ATF F4 process. If you add up all of the welds out there on these products, you're looking at close to something like 300,000 welds or so. The failure percentage on these is incredibly low when consider the large volumes. If you want to chase down failure rates, maybe go look for blunder chickens or smash pandas. We've all seen those broken welds and they sell far less of them. Anyway, occasionally a welder makes a mistake, but we can easily fix it.

Our process requires us to give KGM a chance to fix it. It involves them receiving it, inspecting, and then repairing it. Our CS guys don't always have an answer because they have to bounce questions back and forth with the plant sometimes. They're also a little understaffed right now and they may need a minute or two to get an answer or follow-up with the plant. We appreciate your patience there.

Also, all parts that are sent in are photographed and then returned to the user. If they were part of the suppressor (like a direct thread adapter with the Nomad), then you may get a new one if it's super dirty or if it was attributed to be defective.

We're in the middle of getting an operation in Utah going where all parts will come in and go out of. We may not (necessarily) machine or weld parts there, but all product is inspected and handled there so that we can ensure quality. All accessory final assembly is handled here and goes directly to customer.

Hi @uppercut11,

First off, sorry this happened to you! Since you PM'd me also, I'll directly address some things there, but for the people publicly now invested in this, the suppressor and cover will be replaced. Based on the pictures, that weld bead was offset from the seam and it had very minimal penetration, which explains the separation.
@Mageever
I really appreciate the response. You have given me a lot of faith back in Dead Air already. Knowing what the path forward will be gives me a lot of piece of mind. From the limited email correspondence I did have with customer service last week, I had the impression it was most likely that they would have to replace it and I would be waiting for another tax stamp. I will do my best to be patient for now, but I am hoping I get a response soon with some solid information on timeline!

I will update this thread as this progresses and hopefully be able to end it on a good note.

Dead Air is a marketing company. KGM is for all intents and purposes the “real” Dead Air.
LOL. No. What is this, fudd lore at this point?

KGM is only doing some welding and some final assembly. We have a new facility in UT where some final assembly is done and QA occurs. If it doesn't meet our quality standard, it doesn't ship. We no longer allow anything to go to customer unless we touch it. A lot of final assembly is now occurring there along with R&D, QA, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, ecommerce, compliance, and warehousing and distribution.

It feels like a self-funded new business startup at this point and it hurts because we're having to ramp everything up and we don't always have everything available. That's changing quickly, though.

If you have them on social media, reach out to them there. ive noticed they tend to market there a lot and usually follow up questions rather quickly and may can put you into contact with someone in warranty quicker than they respond to emails given you already have a work order in.

We'll respond online if we have visibility of it and help out if needed, but I actually make a point to stay out of the way of the CS guys. It tends to slow things down when someone in management sticks their noses into the process. If there's an issue, I'll help remedy it, but I'm not going to expedite something because somebody starts waving arms on social media. I've learned my lesson on that one.

Hi Mr. Cut,

Thanks for your patience with us. If there's something you feel you absolutely deserve and they're not providing it, then PM me and I'll look into it. If they've told you they're awaiting information then I'm not going force the issue. I've seen this A LOT lately. It seems to be a trend on the internet where customers are told, "Hey, this will be a few weeks" and then they keep asking for step-by-step updates or instant turnaround times, like a customer's repair just happens instantly. Suppressor repair takes 1 week up to 6 plus weeks (under special circumstances). That's actually very common across the whole industry. We were averaging 1-2 weeks there for a while and I'm afraid we spoiled the industry. We're working on some automation to help with tracking and communication, but there are NO other suppressor companies doing this and suddenly people expect it of us. I think we'll be the first to do it, but until then I'm going to let our guys work.

The plant gives us and the customer a time window up front of several weeks. If we ask the plant everyday exactly what step a customers can is at, I don't think they'd get anything done. They have materials to source and sometimes some custom machining to repair a can. If it's in-process and we ask, we often don't get an answer because they don't have news to give us. If we don't get news, again, our CS guys are busy and rather understaffed and can't give continuous reports to all customers in the queue everyday. Rest assured it's being processed. Will it possibly sit for a couple weeks? Yep, if they're waiting on a machined part or a new baffle stack, lead times for machined parts can be weeks. Sometimes they have to wait for a position on the welders during a production cycle as well. We often don't know, although we're working to fix that. Trust me there.

--Todd

Considering they seem to have batches where every single suppressor has failed, yeah, they are busy. Hope you get it back soon.

I will say, i was worried about tax stamps and all that, but they can fix it w/o dealing with stamps. I got a new core back in the day--felt very much like you did at first. Glad you got in touch with someone and will let them handle it.

Its sucks bro, but every since I got mine fixed, its on something. Shooting unsupressed is just uncivilized!

LOL. No. What is this, fudd lore at this point?

KGM is only doing some welding and some final assembly. We have a new facility in UT where some final assembly is done and QA occurs. If it doesn't meet our quality standard, it doesn't ship. We no longer allow anything to go to customer unless we touch it. A lot of final assembly is now occurring there along with R&D, QA, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, ecommerce, compliance, and warehousing and distribution.

It feels like a self-funded new business startup at this point and it hurts because we're having to ramp everything up and we don't always have everything available. That's changing quickly, though.
That’s a great update, thanks. A lot of firms in this business are marketing firms and sometimes design firms farming out their product (or variances…) to an OEM.

Its sucks bro, but every since I got mine fixed, its on something. Shooting unsupressed is just uncivilized!
Forgot to attach my can between cleanings today and sent a round down range unsuppressed…thought I broke something because it was so damn loud.

We'll respond online if we have visibility of it and help out if needed, but I actually make a point to stay out of the way of the CS guys. It tends to slow things down when someone in management sticks their noses into the process. If there's an issue, I'll help remedy it, but I'm not going to expedite something because somebody starts waving arms on social media. I've learned my lesson on that one.
Yes sir, worked for me in the past so figured I’d pass it along. Wasn’t implying anything being “expedited” other than a response. Thanks for the heads up. 🤘🏻

Last edited:
Forgot to attach my can between cleanings today and sent a round down range unsuppressed…thought I broke something because it was so damn loud.

Dude! The worst is when you never hear the gunshot. You just hear "Reeeeeeeeee....".

Thanks everyone. You guys are awesome. We incredibly excited to start a new chapter in our company's history. It's a yuge threat to other companies and a few paid influencers out there, so expect to see continuous drama I guess.

I have a wolfman that took 8 months for atf to approve me. Picked it up last week went to use it today and I tried to take it apart so I could shoot it in the short configuration and it’s locked up. Haven’t even put a round through it and I’m wondering how this passed quality control. Hopefully I don’t have to wait another 3 months to get it repaired when it prolly should of never left the manufacture to begin with

I have a wolfman that took 8 months for atf to approve me. Picked it up last week went to use it today and I tried to take it apart so I could shoot it in the short configuration and it’s locked up. Haven’t even put a round through it and I’m wondering how this passed quality control. Hopefully I don’t have to wait another 3 months to get it repaired when it prolly should of never left the manufacture to begin with
Geez, rookie mistake. The plant checks the threads and then applies anti-seize so they eliminate the possibility of galling. If there's a burr or they left blast media from the cerakote process in there then it's a possibility. We worked hard to eliminate the possibility (it was problem at startup over two years ago--maybe yours was made then). I'm guessing they threaded it together and it started to gall in the process. You're right, they should have noticed that. They may be able to get it apart, otherwise, they'll cut it out and weld you up a new one. I was just in the plant and there's a batch of Wolfman being made so they're set up to quickly repair it for you.

I blew out the end of a Sandman ti the same way. They warranty replaced it with a Nomad ti. 8 months later I finally got it. I'm kinda wishing I didn't get another titanium can, but i do like it. GA is where mine was sent.

As an update, I did finally receive an email response on August 7 saying there was "an estimated 60 or more days to repair this unit and get it back to you". I will update again when I actually get it back.

You sent too many emails. They got tired of your pestering.

Thought I would update this thread. After not hearing back for well over 60 days, I emailed customer service again to see if I could get a status. I received an email back today saying that they can see my RMA is in "repair status". I am not sure exactly what this means or if it is an indication of when I may get it back. Just sharing information.

• Haha
Reactions: Gentleman4561
Guy on ARF is over 200 days on his S5. They’re still cranking out production on them but returns are sitting for over 6 months. Hope those fanboys are happy that DA is making it right :rolleyes:.

Mageever flew the coop over on ARF.

I can only imagine that the repair department is backed up since they’re such pieces of shit.

The worst part is that the OP bought this piece of shit over a TBAC.

Bet you’re wishing you had gone with the higher quality product from the company who’s owner was active in answering your questions in the original thread, huh?

Here is another DA LT failure. First shot through a 20” 300 PRC light load to start ladder test.
I’m not shooting anything bigger than 6.5cm through mine until I have some
more cans clear. That way I at least won’t be with out a can for 6 months or however long it takes to get them back.

Reactions: Coyote777
Just smear some JB weld on those threads and screw that sucker back together.
In all seriousness I thought the rifle blew up. Part of the cover hit me in the face which I was fine but still I had to gather myself lol. Launched the longer end piece about 60-70yds out down range.

Note to self, make suppressor baffles with left hand threads; no welding necessary.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800
I think they got to Big To Quick and QC is suffering

The problem, is dead air doesn't actually do any manufacturing. Every failure looks like the culprit is bad penetration on he weld. I have three dead air cans. My first isn't concentric to the bore. But doesn't hit the alignment rod. Sent it in, no change. That can only see 6.5CM and 300BLK subs. It's an older Sandman Ti. My Sandman S and Nomad Ti have been rock solid. The biggest caliber the Nomad sees is a 24" 300WSM so it's nothing to crazy.
But, till they start making there own stuff, and can prove they have changed. I'm done with them. Absolutely terrible QC, and the worst turn around for warranty work ever.

The problem, is dead air doesn't actually do any manufacturing. Every failure looks like the culprit is bad penetration on he weld. I have three dead air cans. My first isn't concentric to the bore. But doesn't hit the alignment rod. Sent it in, no change. That can only see 6.5CM and 300BLK subs. It's an older Sandman Ti. My Sandman S and Nomad Ti have been rock solid. The biggest caliber the Nomad sees is a 24" 300WSM so it's nothing to crazy.
But, till they start making there own stuff, and can prove they have changed. I'm done with them. Absolutely terrible QC, and the worst turn around for warranty work ever.
I also sent my sandman in and got it back with the same result. Wasn’t concentric after “repair” for not being concentric.

Reactions: Trent A and Capt45