• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dead Air Suppressor Quality

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    I'm considering getting only my second can for use strictly on bolt action rifles and am considering the Nomad-L from Dead Air. Looking for the most sound suppression and weight is not a concern. Looking to keep it under $1K plus the stamp. That leaves TBAC out before anyone mentions it. In doing some research, I've come across posts about Dead Air's QC being hit or miss. I've seen posts complaining about bad welds, threads that are not concentric with suppressor bore, suppressors that came apart after the first shot, etc. Were these isolated events? In the past? Anyone had issues with Dead Air suppressors recently? I understand they have a good warranty, but the last thing I want to do is mess around after waiting a year for permission to own it. The Nomad-L looks like the ideal suppressor for my needs, if the quality is there.

DeadAir is fine but I would call KGM like, tomorrow… they may still have some cans left over from their “going OEM/mil/LEO only” sale.

R30s we’re $450 last week, R6/65s we’re $350… probably don’t have many left but it’s worth a shot.

DeadAir is fine but I would call KGM like, tomorrow… they may still have some cans left over from their “going OEM/mil/LEO only” sale.

R30s we’re $450 last week, R6/65s we’re $350… probably don’t have many left but it’s worth a shot.
    I’m almost positive KGM does the final assembly and manufacturing of the dead air. @Rade1MOA

Dead air outsourced most of their machining back in the day to kgm. That is no longer the case I believe buy with confidence.

Todd is on here occasionally and will help you get whatever fixed should the situation arise

Been shooting a Sandman S for 2 years now I think. 6 Gt to 300 Norma and lots in between. No issues. Well except that time I got a light end cap strike because I hadn't mounted it correctly.

Reactions: Arc Light
    Should I be hesitant to buy a kgm suppressor?

Hell no. I have 2 and 1 more in the way. They are phenomenal.

I had the weld failed on two of my three KG Made Nomad Tis and they took their good old time fixing them. And when I got them back they left the blast media in them and it took a couple hours, a bunch of washes and several range trips until I stopped getting blast media in my action.

The cans themselves are great and Todd was responsive to my messages but I would trust KG Made at all.

I had the weld failed on two of my three KG Made Nomad Tis and they took their good old time fixing them. And when I got them back they left the blast media in them and it took a couple hours, a bunch of washes and several range trips until I stopped getting blast media in my action.

The cans themselves are great and Todd was responsive to my messages but I would trust KG Made at all.
    That’s an unfortunate experience. I can understand why you feel the way you do. Mine have been flawless. I guess like any man made thing.

sometimes maybe good. Sometimes maybe shit.

Reactions: K80/6.5
    I have a sandman S and the Wolverine. Both feel rugged, and perform as I had hoped. I’ve got an Otter Creek can ordered but I want a Nomad L and that’ll be the next one in line for me. No problems with the Dead Air cans I have.

That’s an unfortunate experience. I can understand why you feel the way you do. Mine have been flawless. I guess like any man made thing.

sometimes maybe good. Sometimes maybe shit.
    Yeah I was thinking it would be a quick turn around and I’d have them back before deer season a month later. It took over 5 months to get them back, longer than it took to get the stamp in the first place. In the end Dead Air made it right and threw in some Xeno mounts and brakes to make up for the delay.

The Nomad Ls I have have been great with zero issues.

A TBAC certificate + Ultra 7/9/Dominus is within your budget.

I have 5+ dead air cans, I wouldn't buy them full price at all.

Reactions: kthomas
    These were/are the KGM prices for all that asked. Last I heard they were either out of or running very low on the 30K and 65s. Just call Beau to order.

EBCD41B7-6D53-489C-A9E7-F035DBE720ED.jpeg

So what's the deal? KGM is no longer selling their branded suppressors to the public anymore?
    That’s the way I understand it. I have zero affiliation with them so it’s just what I heard/what Beau told me.

They’re doing away with the commercial KGM lines and instead OEMing for DA, DD, etc. Plus they still have their public sector/LE contracts (and apparently a big new one).

I did confirm that they will continue to warranty/service the legacy cans, but once the inventory is gone you won’t be able to get them anymore.

These were/are the KGM prices for all that asked. Last I heard they were either out of or running very low on the 30K and 65s. Just call Beau to order.

View attachment 8071500
    Damn. Those are some disgustingply good prices. Kinda feel violated after buying the r556 from the group buy for double that just a month ago.

Damn. Those are some disgustingply good prices. Kinda feel violated after buying the r556 from the group buy for double that just a month ago.

The R338 is awfully tempting at that price...

And yeah, I can see how that would sting.

How does one call Beau? Does he have a phone number? Or is it more of a bat signal kind of thing?

Sorry I thought you had a few dead air cans? I must be mistaken
    Yeah, I currently have 4 Dead Air cans. My bad, I didn't realize which brand you were talking about. Been busy today so haven't kept up with the convo. 😂

Which ones are they interested in knowing about? I got a Nomad-LT, 2 Sandman-S cans, and a Mask HD.

Reactions: hafejd30
    I'm considering getting only my second can for use strictly on bolt action rifles and am considering the Nomad-L from Dead Air. Looking for the most sound suppression and weight is not a concern. Looking to keep it under $1K plus the stamp. That leaves TBAC out before anyone mentions it. In doing some research, I've come across posts about Dead Air's QC being hit or miss. I've seen posts complaining about bad welds, threads that are not concentric with suppressor bore, suppressors that came apart after the first shot, etc. Were these isolated events? In the past? Anyone had issues with Dead Air suppressors recently? I understand they have a good warranty, but the last thing I want to do is mess around after waiting a year for permission to own it. The Nomad-L looks like the ideal suppressor for my needs, if the quality is there.
    Yeah, I currently have 4 Dead Air cans. My bad, I didn't realize which brand you were talking about. Been busy today so haven't kept up with the convo. 😂

Which ones are they interested in knowing about? I got a Nomad-LT, 2 Sandman-S cans, and a Mask HD.
    Nomad L from OP initial post

Dead Air Nomad-LT or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L would be your best options. I have both...They're phenomenal cans.

Dead Air's QC has not been hit-or-miss that I've ever seen personally. All the welds on my Nomad-LT have held just fine, and I've honestly shot the living shit out of that can. It's had several thousand rounds through it, from .223 up to 7mm STW and .300 Ackley (.300 Wby on steroids). Handled everything like a champ.

The Otter Creek Labs cans are ganging some serious traction very fast for good reason...They may be a new company, but they're innovating and building cans that are hanging in there with the big dogs that have been doing this for decades, and giving them a serious run for their money, at competitive prices.

Another good option would be the TBAC Magnus HUB.

Dead air makes a fine suppressor and yes they are made by KGM. Normally I would recommend TBAC for all bolt gun needs but since price is set under 1000$ I would look at the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen L or S great sounding can and pretty light weight at a awesome price.

Reactions: FuhQ and Arc Light
    Last edited:

You should seriously consider the Rex Silentium MG10, MG7, or a custom baffle length to your choosing.

I have two of his cans and they are phenomenal. Solid 17-4ph and both mine have been flawless fit and finish. They come standard with HUB threading. Great value with his prices and he’ll run sales a few times a year.

You can get a custom 8 baffle for $724 without the direct thread, then use a HUB mount of your choice.

You should seriously consider the Rex Silentium MG10, MG7, or a custom baffle length to your choosing.

I have two of his cans and they are phenomenal. Solid 17-4ph and both mine have been flawless fit and finish. They come standard with HUB threading. Great value with his prices and he’ll run sales a few times a year.

You can get a custom 8 baffle for $724 without the direct thread, then use a HUB mount of your choice.
    The Rex cans (I have a few) are just too heavy. Additionally, too much back pressure from them.

With that said, I agree on all your points.

The Rex cans (I have a few) are just too heavy. Additionally, too much back pressure from them.

With that said, I agree on all your points.

Shouldn't matter as much on a bolt gun, which is the OP's purpose. 100% they're a little back pressure heavy but my MGx 4 baffle with 223 bore is actually less back pressure than my SOCOM RC1. But I'm sure there are plenty out there with less. Didn't really want to pony up $1k for a flow through.

That being said, the newer Gen9 MG7 weighs 11.3oz. I don't feel like thats that bad.

A TBAC certificate + Ultra 7/9/Dominus is within your budget.

I have 5+ dead air cans, I wouldn't buy them full price at all.
    Where does one find this TBAC certificate you speak of? In the PX? I would certainly consider going that route.

You guys that have direct-thread Nomads, any issues with them coming loose after 10,15,20 rounds? That would be my biggest concern with going DT.