• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Dead coyotes for bait?

408w

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Western ny
Will coyotes eat dead coyotes? Want to use some cut up dead ones for bait.

I’ve never seen it, leave a lot laying on the farms and ussually it takes a few weeks befor a buzzard will even mess with it. That’s in Ky where they aren’t as hungry though. Last few weeks when it got cold and snow covered I had 4 or 5 laying in the field spread out in a 5 acre area completely covered in snow and froze. Had a small female come through and she walked straight to every carcus snuffed and pawled at them then walked to the next and did the same thing. Never did try to eat the it was like she was just trying to figure out who they were or maybe if they were still alive I’m not sure

They'd probably eat the gut pile from a coyote. I've hunted whitetail deer under another deer's gut pile with success.

I stack up 100-200 per year. Literally stack them in a field. About all I see eating them are eagles and worms. I never see any coyote activity around them or tracks in the snow.

Reactions: Charlie112
The only thing dead coyotes attract are buzzards and bald eagles. Since I have a bald eagle family that has nested the past three winters on the ranch, I always try to leave a few coyotes laying for them.

I stack up 100-200 per year. Literally stack them in a field. About all I see eating them are eagles and worms. I never see any coyote activity around them or tracks in the snow.
I've had a stack of dead ones as well, 6 or 7 high and the only thing that will touch them is the possums and skunks. Even with the dead ones stacked up, new coyotes would still come in and weren't bothered by their buddies frozen to the ground next to a bait.

Death is a normal, uneventful part of life for wild animals. They basically ignore it unless it’s something that provides food.

Here in NC I have definitely seen coyotes eating a dead coyote. I've killed several that were eating their friend from the night before. They eat all kinds of other dead stuff, why not each other?

I doubt a coyote would eat its dead brethren unless it was really desperate. Road killed deer on the other hand work quite well for a bait pile. One winter in ND, I got permits from the sheriff's dept to pick up dead deer on the roadside. The pile had 5 or 6 by March and brought in skunks, coyotes, racoons, and a bald eagle. Big stinking mess though when things warmed up.

They will if they are good and hungry. Tough winter in North Dakota a few years back I shot 3 out of a group of 6 that came into call one night. One made it to a large cattail slough and I couldn’t find him so I came back the next day. All that my brother and I found was the spine and fur. As many tracks as there were it was more than the three that I didn’t get.

Ours must be really desperate then, they will usually take the time to drag the dead one away to eat it. Or maybe they're giving it a proper burial...

It would be worth a try they will eat anything if they get hungry enough