• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Deadair choice-precision, hunting, AR's

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
This will be my first, yeah I know-what took so long?
I will be using this on my AI(6.5cm) 2 Cross's , 6.5, .308 and an AR or two, most likely 5.56(16/18") and maybe a .308 16". I won't be doing mag dumps with the AR's, maybe 1-2 mags tops over 5 or so minutes.
Not doing competitions, just bench, positional shooting, playing around. I want to maintain precision and understand that I will have zero differences and make it easy to switch it between guns and have a decent repeatable reattach zero.

Right now, looks like the Sandman S may be a good choice? I would use a brake on the AI and flash hiders on the other guns. I initially was looking at the Rugged Radiant 30, just not sure which muzzle devices would be best for switching guns. Other than that, Nomad 30?
Sandman S vs. L? sound reduction/weight-4oz?

I know it's a lot, appreciate the input.
Of course most likely not the last one I buy so that may change input.
Mark

I would say 90% of this forum will recommend the Nomad or Tbac ultra 7. I have a Rex Silentium mg7 in .308 that I run on my 18” 5.56. I’m current wait on a paper form 4 for a Yhm Resonator R2 that I plan on running on bolt guns. I also would recommend Area 419 suppressor mount and universal muzzle adapter.

Attachments

• A96BA329-3918-4740-B558-A7533F231694.jpeg
    A96BA329-3918-4740-B558-A7533F231694.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 104
My DeadAir Sandman S has performed as good if not better than my TBAC 30P-1 direct thread. Hardly any change in POA/POI with the can on vs off. Minimal effect of grouping as well. All the with benefit of quick attach and no barrel restrictions.

I run mine on bolt guns from 300wm and 6.5x47 to 10.5 MK18 ARs.

Last edited:
If you are stuck on Dead Air, I would lean towards the Nomad series.

Since you will be mounting on multiple different types of platforms (bolt guns and ar15's), having flexibility in mounting devices is beneficial/key. For that reason, I would stick with suppressors that have the "hub" thread (1-3/8x24). This will really open up options for mounting solutions, including Keymo, Q Plan B, ASR, etc.

Other options (that aren't Dead Air) that would fit the above criteria would be: SiCo Omega, KGM R30, Abel Co. Biscuit, Rex series of suppressors, etc.

If you are okay with sticking with TBAC's mounting solutions, the Ultra 7 or Dominus are great options as well. You can also use the A419 mounting system which is a nice system, though expensive when you outfit a whole suite of rifles (perhaps not an issue).

For that many different rifles/platforms, multiple suppressors would ultimately be ideal in the long run, but for a first general duty can the above should be suitable.

Reactions: YotaEer
I have a Dead Air Nomad 30 that I've used on everything from AR 223's to 300 Mags. Good can, direct 5/8x24 thread and I use a 1/2 x 5/8 adapter on the small stuff. No issues. Another one that I have had reason to consider is a GSL 30 cal. Very Quiet but heavier than the Dead Air. I have a Dead Air Nomad 30 Ti in jail right now as a lightweight hunting can.

Reactions: kthomas
I have both TBAC direct threads and their taper mount, as well as a Dead Air Nomad with a direct thread and their Keymo system. Between the two, I prefer the taper mount system on the TBAC by far. The Keymo system adds length to the system, and is not a joy to use. If it were me, I'd get a TBAC Ultra 7 .30 cal and then use whatever mount you'd like for your particular barrel.

I have both TBAC direct threads and their taper mount, as well as a Dead Air Nomad with a direct thread and their Keymo system. Between the two, I prefer the taper mount system on the TBAC by far. The Keymo system adds length to the system, and is not a joy to use. If it were me, I'd get a TBAC Ultra 7 .30 cal and then use whatever mount you'd like for your particular barrel.

I lean towards taper mounts as well.

Personally I use the Q Plan B system (but using Rearden MFG products, fuck Q). Similar concept, just places the taper in front of the threads to prevent carbon locking issues.

I think the taper systems are the most elegant out there. QD systems have more length and mass, and in some cases more potential for issues (more moving parts).

Each mounting system has its own nuances to it, so its worth doing a little research to determine what you want out of a mounting system (and just importantly, know what you want to avoid).

Reactions: djarecke
My preferred suppressor for bouncing between gas guns and precision bolt guns is the TBAC Dominus. I run the SR brake because it works.

For Dead Air I’d recommend the Nomad for gas guns and the Nomad L for bolt guns. The L is significantly quieter but at the cost of a substantial increase in back pressure and gas blowback.

Reactions: FuhQ
My DeadAir Sandman S has performed as good if not better than my TBAC 30P-1 direct thread.
Not bad for a can that hasn't been made in 8 years! ;)

At this point with our product line, it seems like most of our customer choices come down to Ultra 7 vs. Magnus (CB both) for a bolt gun can (or light/moderate gas gun), with a small number of hunters choosing the Ultra 5 for smallest and lightest possible. For those that want the additional security of the SR mount (or full auto ratings), it comes down to Dominus-SR vs. Magnus-SR, with the Dominus-K-SR being the choice for fewer of them, those that want/need the smallest possible length added.

In todays market? Nomad with Xeno mount. I would also strongly consider the Nomad Ti or LT if a realistic assessment of your firing schedules can support it.

If you aren’t shooting auto or sbr the Sandman is overkill. It’s still a great can though. The materials and construction are about as rugged as you can get, Key-Mo is a rock solid mount, good suppression and tone. But I think the suppressor market has advanced and some of the newer cans/mounts offer a better solution for an intermediate firing schedule.

Free advice: get a 22lr can at the same time.

Reactions: Mageever
Dead Air Nomad-30 would be a good all-around can. Nomad-L for max suppression. The titanium versions are lighter, but if you plan on doing any sort of rapid-fire shooting, I'd stick with the stainless steel versions.

If you don't plan on doing any rapid-fire shooting, the Nomad-Ti and Nomad-LT would be your best bet, especially for hunting and precision rifles. Or the new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S and Hydrogen-L. I went to the range on Friday, and shot my Hydrogen-L with a direct-thread mount on my freshly chopped (23") & threaded 7mm RemMag. I was shocked at how quiet it was on a magnum cartridge. My Nomad-LT sounded awesome on there, as well. Also extremely quiet, and right on par with the Hydrogen-L. Both are about negligible when it come which one is quieter...So, I'd say you can't go wrong with either one.

There's plenty of videos on my YT channel with both the Nomad-LT and Hydrogen-L cans if you want to give them a listen, and an idea of how they will sound on your rifles. 👍🏼

Also, like GMZ said... Get a Dead Air Mask HD at the same time. You will love shooting a .22LR suppressed with subsonic ammo.

Yeah I don’t have an Ultra line can from TBAC to compare to my DeadAir stuff. It’s on the list. Just hasn’t happened yet. Can’t go wrong with either company though. I’ve been happy with both. The only can I have that I hate is made by SilencerCo

Just tried put my Dead Air Nomad-L today on a Remington 5R and AR 300BO. Here's the target on the 5R at 100 yards. Low shot was called low using 77g MK and 24.5g RE15. This target shows POI shift from unsuppressed to suppressed.

In my 300B) accuracy was good and rezeroed my REAP-IR thermal. Noise reduction is good using 110g Max Hornady Black. I also tried out my 300BO pistol with Gorilla subs 220g MKs and all you hear is the action cycling. So far very happy with the Nomad. I am using the Kmod adapter with brakes on the rifles.

IMG_8802.jpeg

Considered the Nomad initially, As I understand, just a screw on type? Any concern with loosening?

Considered the Nomad initially, As I understand, just a screw on type? Any concern with loosening?
The Nomad series suppressors are threaded 1.375x24 HUB threads, and can accept any 1.375x24 mounting system on the market, including any quick-detach and direct-thread mounting systems, but they do come with a 5/8x24 direct-thread mount already in them. But you can change that out to whatever you want once you get your can.

Last edited:
Nomad Ti all day for precision rifle stuff and it will perform well on the ARs as well. Mounting options become so numerous as to be a larger problem than the can itself

If you are set on dead air I'd go Nomad 30 or Ti depending on firing schedule.

Otherwise I'd go CGS Helios QD Ti. Comes with 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 direct thread inserts and can take 1.375x24 mounts.

Helios or Nomad I'd run the Rearden Atlas system with whatever short muzzle device of your choosing.

Reactions: airborne_trooper
Skip the “one can does it all” mentality and get dedicated cans for all. If that idea makes you scream angry poor noises at least get a can for semi auto platforms and one for the bolt guns to start off with.

Opinions on Rugged Radiant verses Nomad 30?
Main focus accuracy, both appear similar in regards to lock up.

Radiant even in the long configuration is louder than a Nomad 30. A Nomad L is significantly quieter. CGS Helios ti is quiter than the Nomad 30/ti.

The Nomad doesn't have a symmetrical blast baffle. Almost all precision rifle silencers (ones that are advertised to be) have symmetrical blast baffles. In the real world prs stuff I do not know how the Nomad does vs other brands.

My recommendation is still the Helios qd ti. It is by far the most impressive 6-7" silencer I've heard. Especially on 308 and 6.5 bolt guns. My experience also matches the current pewscience rankings (solid end cap).

Z2SrVtS.jpg

QfN7un7.jpg

You can also see how badly the Radiant did.

Nomad L with the Xeno mount will give you the best combination of quiet, PoI shift, and repeatability.

Keymount/Keymicro is excellent, but does have slight PoI shift unless you torque the ratchet part down the exact same every time, while the xeno doesn't have that issue and weighs less.

Rugged's rifle suppressors are not that quiet. They're good cans, just not as quiet as other options.

Of those 2 options...I'd take the Nomad, all day everyday.

For all your intended uses, Nomad is the best deadair product. Buy the Area419 suppressor mount and their Universal adapters.

I recently bought a Sandman S and a Nomad Ti. The Sandman gets swapped between a couple of different AR's, at least one of which is 10.5". If you wanted to do mag dumps or put it on a short barreled AR, this would be the way to go. Also, love KeyMo attachment system.

However, it sounds like you might be able to get away with a Nomad Ti. This will be way lighter than the Sandman and suppresses as well or better. If weight is a factor it's tough to beat, particularly if you're willing to restrict yourself to no more than 2-3 mag dumps with 3+ minutes between them. If your willing to sacrifice some weight savings for additional ruggedness, but don't need the full auto rating of the Sandman the regular Nomad would be a good compromise, and probably the best solution for you. Lighter than the Sandman, rugged enough that you don't have to worry about doing a couple of mag dumps and probably slightly better at suppression. If you want to switch between rifles, consider getting the Xeno mounting system and muzzle brakes.

Or as others have suggested, get more than one suppressor. :)

This will be my first, yeah I know-what took so long?
I will be using this on my AI(6.5cm) 2 Cross's , 6.5, .308 and an AR or two, most likely 5.56(16/18") and maybe a .308 16". I won't be doing mag dumps with the AR's, maybe 1-2 mags tops over 5 or so minutes.
Not doing competitions, just bench, positional shooting, playing around. I want to maintain precision and understand that I will have zero differences and make it easy to switch it between guns and have a decent repeatable reattach zero.

Right now, looks like the Sandman S may be a good choice? I would use a brake on the AI and flash hiders on the other guns. I initially was looking at the Rugged Radiant 30, just not sure which muzzle devices would be best for switching guns. Other than that, Nomad 30?
Sandman S vs. L? sound reduction/weight-4oz?

I know it's a lot, appreciate the input.
Of course most likely not the last one I buy so that may change input.
Mark
we use a sandman S. It goes on an AR and 308 bolt gun, and has been pretty great. No change in accuracy as far as I can tell. As a robust do-everything can, it’s a lot like my saker 762 (Which I’m also really happy with). The ratchet ring wears out if you swap it frequently, but dead air will send you replacements. I’m happy with it.

Id prefer the k because I’m not as worried about sound suppression.

Last edited:
I went with the Nomad 30, need to pick up the Xeno adapters soon.

Now looking at the next one and the Omega 36m sounds interesting, I do like it for a 9mm (MPX K) and 5.56 carbine?

I went with the Nomad 30, need to pick up the Xeno adapters soon.

Now looking at the next one and the Omega 36m sounds interesting, I do like it for a 9mm (MPX K) and 5.56 carbine?
Good call! You'll enjoy the Nomad-30. It's a great can. 👍🏼

For the 5.56 rifle, I would get a dedicated 5.56 can like the Otter Creek Labs Polonium. Or, if you want more versatility, get a hard-use .30 caliber can like the Dead Air Sandman-S that can be used on anything from 5.56 up to 6.5 Grendel and .300 Blackout (they sound REALLY good on .300 Blackout with subsonics...I have 2 of the Sandman-S cans). It's even rated for up to .300 WinMag, so you could shoot it on your bolt-actions if you wanted to, as well.

And I would get a 9mm or 45 can for your PCC (MPX) like the Dead Air Wolfman or Primal, or a pistol can with a fixed mount spacer in it, like the Dead Air Ghost-M, or a Rugged Obsidian 9 or 45.

I don't care what anyone else says...The people who refuse to admit it, are the ones who refuse to admit they got their money taken on a bad deal... But big-bore multi-caliber use cans like the Hydrid 46 and other suppressors like that, are NOT good at suppressing rifle cartridges .30 caliber and smaller, because the bore aperture is so damn big, way too many gasses are escaping around the bullet as it passes through. The one-size-fits-all doesn't really work well in the suppressor world, despite the clever marketing. Everyone I know that bought something like that regretted it on everything except subsonic .300 BLK and subsonic pistol cartridges. They are terrible on supersonic rifle cartridges. The biggest aperture you'd want to run on a 5.56 would be .30 caliber...And most quality .30 caliber cans will sound great on a 5.56 and suppress them very well.

I have the Obsidian 9 and .45 now and all of the attachments. Day 87 on the 9, .45 is only at a week. I did start to look at the Wolfman, heavy though?

Ive got all the sandmen. the s is the sweet spot. l is too long and heavy, had a hard time finding a rifle for it to live on, ended up on my rem csr. K is loud. serves a purpose. but its loud. S is good. just long enough to be good. just short enough to be light and pointy. The sandmen are workhorses.
also have a cgs hyperion. its on another planet. but direct thread 308.
cgs's helios qd ti is interesting but gets long once you add a qd option.
also got a hyperion k. its no hyperion. another had a hard time finding a host. decided to throw that on my strasser hunting rifle.

I have the Obsidian 9 and .45 now and all of the attachments. Day 87 on the 9, .45 is only at a week. I did start to look at the Wolfman, heavy though?
There's still no fee lunch with the Wolfman, but it's a very versatile can, and top of the heap when it comes to 9mm PCC cans that are 5.56 and .300 BLK capable. Once again, you're taking an (estimated) .360" bore diameter suppressor and pushing a .224" bullet through it, that bullet is almost 1/2 the bore diameter of the suppressor. Imagine how much gasses are escaping and not being redirected for cooling (which is how a suppressor actually works). The .300 BLK works great on the Wolfman, because you're only talking .308 vs .360" That's a much smaller air gap than .224 in a .360" bore. And it's also rated for up to .350 Legend.

So, if you were hell-bent on getting a do-all can for 5.56, .300 BLK, .350 Legend, and 9mm PCC, I'd say the Wolfman would be about the best thing on the market right now.

But 5.56 is a LOUD little cartridge, and is extremely hard to tame down, so I'd still recommend getting either a dedicated 5.56 can for your 5.56 like the Otter Creek Labs Polonium (which has a 6mm bore diameter, and can be used on anything 6mm bore and smaller)... Or something like a Sandman-S that will work great on 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 6 ARC, .224 Valkyrie, and .300 BLK as well as all the other AR15-sized cartridges. And it's hard-use (belt-fed full-auto rated, and rated up to .300 WinMag).

OCL Polonium: https://ottercreeklabs.com/product/polonium/

Sandman-S: https://www.silencershop.com/dead-air-sandman-s.html

FDE Sandman-S: https://www.silencershop.com/sandman-s-fde-military-contract.html

I don't care what anyone else says...The people who refuse to admit it, are the ones who refuse to admit they got their money taken on a bad deal... But big-bore multi-caliber use cans like the Hydrid 46 and other suppressors like that, are NOT good at suppressing rifle cartridges .30 caliber and smaller, because the bore aperture is so damn big, way too many gasses are escaping around the bullet as it passes through. The one-size-fits-all doesn't really work well in the suppressor world, despite the clever marketing. Everyone I know that bought something like that regretted it on everything except subsonic .300 BLK and subsonic pistol cartridges. They are terrible on supersonic rifle cartridges. The biggest aperture you'd want to run on a 5.56 would be .30 caliber...And most quality .30 caliber cans will sound great on a 5.56 and suppress them very well.
So far the DA Primal is dB competitive (maybe slightly better) with the 36m on my MDRX as long as I’m using a .30cal endcap. Keymount QD on both.

I’d say the primal is different from previous .458 multi-cal offerings in that it has a very large total volume, and the baffle design is geared more towards suppressing .338 LM/.300 NM rifle cartridges than being “a pistol can that also works on rifles”