• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Dealing with mirage

D_Lamz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2007
Central Texas
How do you guys deal with mirage when shooting for groups? Before getting my suppressor I could shoot strings of 5 round groups and get nice tight groups. Then I started using my can and after a string of 10-15 rounds the mirage got really bad to where my groups opened up. I'm using a TAB cover and tried dialing down the magnification. I'm I just shooting to fast?

It sounds like you mean mirage from the heat of the supressor?
Reading the title of your post made made think of mirage downrange that would effect bullet path.

I don't have a supressor, but maybe someone has rigged up a heat shield like those F-Classers do to dissapate the mirrage off their barrels.

How do you guys deal with mirage when shooting for groups? Before getting my suppressor I could shoot strings of 5 round groups and get nice tight groups. Then I started using my can and after a string of 10-15 rounds the mirage got really bad to where my groups opened up. I'm using a TAB cover and tried dialing down the magnification. I'm I just shooting to fast?

I feel ya buddy. Personally after getting a suppressor I decided that they're not for me. 1 year wait and let down. So I dealt with it by taking that SOB off and putting back in hearing protection. Let me know if you figure something out.

You might want to attach a mirage band from muzzle to receiver. I have this problem sometimes with the M14 in LR competition. The target simply disappears. Since the mirage band is not authorized in Service Rifle competition I just cool the barrel with whatever means available.