• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Death on the Range

Kinetic Moose

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2018
Margaritaville....
Happened a while back and I pulled it for obvious reasons, but haven't heard from lawyers so i decided to post it as a lesson for today's society, you never know where the danger will come from, or when.

At the local range a while back and was unfortunately party to this....

Wife and I were shooting at the local range, and while the wife plinked away on the pistol range, I was trying in vain to close my groups on yet another rifle. Wrapped up shooting my 30 rounds or so and was walking towards the other end where she was shooting and the range was cold. Heard a really late round go off and then saw a couple of people gathered around someone laying on the ground, with two full armloads of cases and a gear bag i immediately dropped it all and sprinted to the other end as I did not see my wife anywhere, not in the car,, or standing and so of course I thought the worst. that was a long 75 yards. I found her kneeling over a man checking for vitals and responsiveness, something years as a LEO taught her and was immediately relieved. Now to deal with the poor gentleman that had decided that now was a great time to take a concrete nap. Some years ago, three decades now, I was military and thanks to a bored CO, who looked at me one day and said you're going to school for medic training, I had an idea of what to do although I wasn't sure what had happened, the wife and I exchanged glances and she began her download of what had happened while i checked for abc's, airway, check, breathing, labored and shallow as hell, but check, cardio,,, cardio,,, ah yes, also weak as hell, but there. The wife said he had come over to talk to her, happens a lot to hot wives carrying guns, and mid sentence she said his face went blank, paused a moment, then eyes rolled back and concrete nap ensued. he fell in an awkward position between a brass can and a bench, so the best she could do is left lateral sort of. as my fingers are rather numb most days I asked her to double check for a pulse which we both agreed he had one. C-spine support as best we could and the crowd began to gather. The wife said he had open heart surgery recently, and the scar and wife verified it, and from what she said I'm guessing a cerebrovascular event had rendered him unconscious.
Meanwhile gawking ensued, range officials decided to dial 911, after some debate, and then proceeded to pick up a pad and pencil to take everyones names down for some reason,,, guessing SOP for them rather than get involved. A range official that looked to be 75 and said he was a retired firefighter pushed his way into the crowd and decided not to listen to me spouting old credentials and a sit rep and grabbed the poor bastard by the ankles and drug him back 5 feet flopped him on his back and began to question his wife while attempting a set of vitals, after a 2 second jab into his carotid he determines that he's in cardiac arrest and that my wife and I who were pretty sure the heaving of his chest while he was choking on his tongue from being turned on his back indicated he was not in fact in cardiac arrest, he began CPR, well compressions anyway. It was at this point a floor nurse from the local hospital joined in and relieved him after 15 or so seconds of compressions, and began to stomp on this guys chest with two chubby hands for all she was worth, i attempted to stop them with reason and logic but they had engaged hero mode and decided to disregard everything, after another round of chest compressions she paused, and the guys chest heaved one last time before she resumed compressions, it was at this time the wife and I stepped back. My credentials are waaay out of date, like 5 revisions of CPR out of date and I'm in a new state so pecking order was in question.
It was at this time his wife who was also talking with my wife was a mess, and the wife and I had a short conversation after notepad RO walked by asking for names again and we decided it was time to leave.
Que an ambulance a short period later with an equipped medic that hooked up leads and loaded him into the buss that the nurse threw her hands up in the air in celebration of a successful execution of a living being.
Time to leave we both grabbed out gear and rolled asap.
I never heard what happened to the couple but my guess is he didn't make it, the lips were cyanotic 20 seconds after compressions started so my guess is not viable.

Lessons learned,,, healthcare will kill you faster than you can imagine, and for me, I'm not getting involved unless it's family from now on. On one hand I wish that I would have kept my credentials current, but on the other hand, they didn't' listen to me and unless I was willing to get physical, it wasn't going to end well for that guy. My IDMT trainer in the military said he's straight up kicked people out of the way trying to aid a downed individual, but that was then.

I have a motto, help those you can, and i'm probably not going to change, but this gave us both pause.

Don't let that jade you, super stud.
You did your calling and I hope you will forever be there to, again, try to help your fellow man.

3 cheers for you and your wife. Keep up the good work.

Never stop being there for others, never
I wont' it's not in me, but it makes you realize that the protections we were once afforded aren't there anymore.

Reactions: abn31c and lash
Happened a while back and I pulled it for obvious reasons, but haven't heard from lawyers so i decided to post it as a lesson for today's society, you never know where the danger will come from, or when.

At the local range a while back and was unfortunately party to this....

Wife and I were shooting at the local range, and while the wife plinked away on the pistol range, I was trying in vain to close my groups on yet another rifle. Wrapped up shooting my 30 rounds or so and was walking towards the other end where she was shooting and the range was cold. Heard a really late round go off and then saw a couple of people gathered around someone laying on the ground, with two full armloads of cases and a gear bag i immediately dropped it all and sprinted to the other end as I did not see my wife anywhere, not in the car,, or standing and so of course I thought the worst. that was a long 75 yards. I found her kneeling over a man checking for vitals and responsiveness, something years as a LEO taught her and was immediately relieved. Now to deal with the poor gentleman that had decided that now was a great time to take a concrete nap. Some years ago, three decades now, I was military and thanks to a bored CO, who looked at me one day and said you're going to school for medic training, I had an idea of what to do although I wasn't sure what had happened, the wife and I exchanged glances and she began her download of what had happened while i checked for abc's, airway, check, breathing, labored and shallow as hell, but check, cardio,,, cardio,,, ah yes, also weak as hell, but there. The wife said he had come over to talk to her, happens a lot to hot wives carrying guns, and mid sentence she said his face went blank, paused a moment, then eyes rolled back and concrete nap ensued. he fell in an awkward position between a brass can and a bench, so the best she could do is left lateral sort of. as my fingers are rather numb most days I asked her to double check for a pulse which we both agreed he had one. C-spine support as best we could and the crowd began to gather. The wife said he had open heart surgery recently, and the scar and wife verified it, and from what she said I'm guessing a cerebrovascular event had rendered him unconscious.
Meanwhile gawking ensued, range officials decided to dial 911, after some debate, and then proceeded to pick up a pad and pencil to take everyones names down for some reason,,, guessing SOP for them rather than get involved. A range official that looked to be 75 and said he was a retired firefighter pushed his way into the crowd and decided not to listen to me spouting old credentials and a sit rep and grabbed the poor bastard by the ankles and drug him back 5 feet flopped him on his back and began to question his wife while attempting a set of vitals, after a 2 second jab into his carotid he determines that he's in cardiac arrest and that my wife and I who were pretty sure the heaving of his chest while he was choking on his tongue from being turned on his back indicated he was not in fact in cardiac arrest, he began CPR, well compressions anyway. It was at this point a floor nurse from the local hospital joined in and relieved him after 15 or so seconds of compressions, and began to stomp on this guys chest with two chubby hands for all she was worth, i attempted to stop them with reason and logic but they had engaged hero mode and decided to disregard everything, after another round of chest compressions she paused, and the guys chest heaved one last time before she resumed compressions, it was at this time the wife and I stepped back. My credentials are waaay out of date, like 5 revisions of CPR out of date and I'm in a new state so pecking order was in question.
It was at this time his wife who was also talking with my wife was a mess, and the wife and I had a short conversation after notepad RO walked by asking for names again and we decided it was time to leave.
Que an ambulance a short period later with an equipped medic that hooked up leads and loaded him into the buss that the nurse threw her hands up in the air in celebration of a successful execution of a living being.
Time to leave we both grabbed out gear and rolled asap.
I never heard what happened to the couple but my guess is he didn't make it, the lips were cyanotic 20 seconds after compressions started so my guess is not viable.

Lessons learned,,, healthcare will kill you faster than you can imagine, and for me, I'm not getting involved unless it's family from now on. On one hand I wish that I would have kept my credentials current, but on the other hand, they didn't' listen to me and unless I was willing to get physical, it wasn't going to end well for that guy. My IDMT trainer in the military said he's straight up kicked people out of the way trying to aid a downed individual, but that was then.

I have a motto, help those you can, and i'm probably not going to change, but this gave us both pause.
I’m sure this helps not at all, but you did the right thing. In cases like this, most caring people will continue to second guess their decisions of the moment, but that’s counterproductive. Knowing that you tried to do the right thing is important, so don’t lose that perspective.

Maybe my reading comprehension is out of date. Did he shoot himself or have a heart attack? You heard a late gunshot after range was called cold, but your wife was talking to him and mid sentence his eyes rolled and he crumbled. I guess I'm just confused on what actually happened.

Maybe my reading comprehension is out of date. Did he shoot himself or have a heart attack? You heard a late gunshot after range was called cold, but your wife was talking to him and mid sentence his eyes rolled and he crumbled. I guess I'm just confused on what actually happened.
I thought the late shot had hit my wife as I couldn't see her, and his eyes rolling and dirt napping was a cerebrovascular (stroke) event most likely as he was still breathing and had a faint pulse. That range is sketchy with newbs doing some really stupid crap but we occasionally go...

I thought the late shot had hit my wife as I couldn't see her, and his eyes rolling and dirt napping was a cerebrovascular (stroke) event most likely as he was still breathing and had a faint pulse. That range is sketchy with newbs doing some really stupid crap but we occasionally go...
Ah gotcha. Sorry the way it was written kind of made it sound like he did a self-checkout.

In almost most cases, CPR is not going to harm anyone outside of possible broken ribs, especially for an unresponsive person.

We do compressions for multiple reasons on people of all ages. And compressions is rarely contraindicated on most people, barring any weird cardiac device like an LVAD.

Seems like everyone did the best they could do.

Reactions: powdahound76
And pulses are there 1 second and gone the next…..

Good job. Dont stop helping folks.
Perhaps refresh skills and some kit (cpr mask and gloves are nice)

They shouldnt have dragged him.
Other than that, without a rhythm strip, who knows?

Early high quality CPR and early difib are the 2 most important factors with ROSC of any kind. Especially field.

Sounds like the 2 who barged in a took over all special like need a little remedial training on field work and how to do things and range needs a policy on when to call 911 (first thing when down and “out”) and someone designated for crowd control.

Sucks man. Doing real life CPR is a fucking eye opener. Glad you were there and did what you knew. That’s the best anyone can do and more than most will. Good on you.

Reactions: Glowie
You did what you could do and its all you could ask.

If CPR needed to be started and he was in an awkward spot, sometimes they have to get dragged a bit. Ive had to twice. One crumped while on the shitter. Fell between the tub and the shitter in a very small bathroom. They ALWAYS fall between the tub and the shitter. The other was head on semi vs tacoma. Dude had a pulse and shallow breathing so were going for neck stabilization when he stopped breathing. Airway ensued while he was still in his seatbelt, then we lost pulse. Hell with the neck, time to yank him out and drag to where we can start CPR. That was my first call ever. We had a non emergent patient in the bus when we came upon that fresh wreck in the canyon. His ribs were already mush from the impact and he didn't give resistance like I remembered on the dummy. First compression, SQUISH. Pretty sure my eyes got big and dude I was with just shrugged and said keep going. He didn't make it. Im 0/5 on CPR so.... Typically as a volunteer ambulance service we are just there too late. Head to station, get ambulance, then respond to a big area over 30 miles of highway and all the arteries and capillaries off of it. Id like to get somebody back one day but what Id like more is to not have to do it again at all.

Well done brother!!! One comment of your post took me by surprise though. " and for me, I'm not getting involved unless it's family from now on."

That is most likely bullshit and you know it. Unless it brings unnecessary harm to you, ALWAYS step up and lend a hand to someone in need. It's what this country needs. Besides, even with the apostasy amongst this nations populous, you are nearly always protected under Good Samaritan laws. By acting in good faith in assisting an individual in cardiac distress or any other life threatening condition(s), you will not be held liable for any care given, even if a DNR is in place. "Officer Dingaling,I was acting in good faith in assistance for someone whose life was in danger" /Discussion :)

I guess I’m a little confused about the lessons learned and the idea that some once afforded protections are now gone.

Did the nurse kill the guy with her chest compressions? Powdahound would have us believe the answer is “probably not” and it sounds like she was the most and most recently trained person there. Was anyone prosecuted for trying to help? Are there not Good Samaritan laws in effect that protect against civil liability assuming you were acting in good faith? What in this event leads you to abandon your previous desire to help in a situation like this? To the nurse and the retired firefighter, you were just an old guy claiming to be a retired army medic or whatever. I’m having a hard time believing that you would just pack up and walk off based on something that happened here…or that anything that happened here warrants that change in attitude.

With all due respect.

Long story on this subject. My ex wife was an ER trauma nurse. Smart in medical shit, dumb as a box of rocks on everything else.

We lived in a different county than where she worked. We lived near one of the most dangerous intersection ever. My neighbor's daughter was paralyzed there. Not enough deaths for traffic lights.

We come home one night, bad accident just happened. Ive always been "prepperish". She had a med bag. I stopped, and told her to go help. She didnt want to get involved. I can respect that, but it was me or her. I stayed in truck with her three kids, and she went to help.

I grabbed her arm as she stepped out. I looked her in the eyes, "anybody fucking ask, your name is Susan B Anthony and your license is at home." She helped until first responders got there.

She came back over got in the truck and we drove away. I asked about details, but she said not until kids are out of truck. Later I asked. She said driver had no vitals, so I helped the passenger. Her hair was a mess and blood on her jeans when she got in the truck. She wasnt sure if the passenger would make it. I asked her.... "and the name you gave?". In a semi-pissed off voice...."Susan B Anthony, just like you told me." I asked if the cops questioned that. Said they smiled, hugged her and sent her on her way.

Almost two years later, similar deal. Before I could even remind her. She smiled....."I know....Susan B Anthony."

Similar type things happened four different locations over our ten years. Car accidents and cardiac deal in a resturant. She was always gave the name Susan B Anthony.

Oh, she inquired about the first incident from a previous coworker at the hospital where they took, the passenger. He died two days later. Id like to think she at least gave someone the chance for family to say goodbye.

Other incidents, not as critical.

I bet 5 people died at that intersection before they put a fucking stop light in.

Ill always assist, but never give my real name......and my license is always at home. First responders are just glad you help, they are not interested in making your life tough for helping. Could someone find you, im sure but.....whatever....

Reactions: Kinetic Moose
Yeah.

I have not seen CPR kill a person.

25+ yrs of it.
Done it so many times I lost count.
Used to be daily almost (very busy big ER).

Im guessing either lost pulse or was too faint to palpate with adrenaline ripping.

Have seen CPR and the patient’s eyes pop open and they grab and try to get the compressor to stop.
Would guess this would have happened if guy didnt need it.

Just did my RQI for BLS, ACLS, PALS, and NRP.
its fresh in my noggin as it ever is

As to Good Samaritan acts and false names:

3 yrs ago the paramedics (in rural MO) asked me to ride with them from the scene. Bad crush victim with pelvis and abd trauma and a BP of 72 and HR 130.
I started their lines. (They couldnt find anything.)
Called report to the ER.
Full team and O- blood started on arrival. BP of 90 after 2 units fast
Medic looked at me at the end and said “you know some shit for a hillbilly in old jeans and carhartts” 😎
I never worry about giving my name.

I firmly believe this is the path God has for me and He has protected me more times than I care to remember.
I wont stand by and let another human die unnecessarily out of fear.

You did your part, no one was expecting you to bring him back. When other “heroes” want to join the party that’s their problem.

EMT’s took charge of the situation. You were relieved at that time.

Reactions: lash and theLBC
Yeah.

25+ yrs of it.

Im guessing either lost pulse or was too faint to palpate with adrenaline ripping.

Have seen CPR and the patient’s eyes pop open and they grab and try to get the compressor to stop.

3 yrs ago the paramedics (in rural MO) asked me to ride with them from the scene. Bad crush victim with pelvis and abd trauma and a BP of 72 and HR 130.
Called report to the ER.
Medic looked at me at the end and said “you know some shit for a hillbilly in old jeans and carhartts” 😎

I firmly believe this is the path God has for me and He has protected me more times than I care to remember.
This right here. It took me along time to realize this. When I think back on life I can see where I was given clues. Unfortunately I was hard headed a stubborn to "listen "
Luckily I woke up and although my job can be tough some days I love every day of it. Nothing like helping people who are having a bad day

Reactions: lash
I guess I’m a little confused about the lessons learned and the idea that some once afforded protections are now gone.

Did the nurse kill the guy with her chest compressions? Powdahound would have us believe the answer is “probably not” and it sounds like she was the most and most recently trained person there. Was anyone prosecuted for trying to help? Are there not Good Samaritan laws in effect that protect against civil liability assuming you were acting in good faith? What in this event leads you to abandon your previous desire to help in a situation like this? To the nurse and the retired firefighter, you were just an old guy claiming to be a retired army medic or whatever. I’m having a hard time believing that you would just pack up and walk off based on something that happened here…or that anything that happened here warrants that change in attitude.

With all due respect.
Yeah the nurse and firefighter took perfused tissue and a individual trying to breathe and turned him into a blue popsicle with no pulse.
I tried, even shouted at them but they were locked in and not hearing me or the wife. I know i'm an old guy claiming etc... which is why I backed off, she was a nurse in scrubs and although she and the firefighter were running on pure adrenaline and not hearing me, the wife, or the doctor, and my options were shove her off, take responsibility and the guy dies,, i'm screwed, it was a lose lose situation, the wife and I discussed it and decided it was unfortunate but good samaritan wouldn't cover me shoving a nurse off a guy because then we would have to prove in court that he had a pulse and was trying to breathe...
so with that and the fact we just moved to this area and didn't know the laws... or which way they lean. SOP in the field when i went through training was unless they were a doctor you were primary because unless they were a trauma nurse with equipment they were useless in the feild anyway.
As the other half was LEO on the streets of a rough city for almost two decades, she's seen all manner of incident as have I, but the qualified immunity going away at record speed, it gives me pause. In a real situation where there is no one other to help, yes i would help to save a life, but only that.

Oddly it seems

Yeah.

25+ yrs of it.

Called report to the ER.

I doubt cpr killed him, probably lack of what little oxygen he was moving to zero when they were just stomping on his chest,, no mask, breaths etc just compressions and choking on his tongue. Time they were done when EMS showed up, blue tongue hanging out of his mouth, no movement whatsoever.
I thought about requal for just such situations but it requires 3 years of school these days.....

Reactions: powdahound76
Yeah the nurse and firefighter took perfused tissue and a individual trying to breathe and turned him into a blue popsicle with no pulse.
I tried, even shouted at them but they were locked in and not hearing me or the wife. I know i'm an old guy claiming etc... which is why I backed off, she was a nurse in scrubs and although she and the firefighter were running on pure adrenaline and not hearing me, the wife, or the doctor, and my options were shove her off, take responsibility and the guy dies,, i'm screwed, it was a lose lose situation, the wife and I discussed it and decided it was unfortunate but good samaritan wouldn't cover me shoving a nurse off a guy because then we would have to prove in court that he had a pulse and was trying to breathe...
so with that and the fact we just moved to this area and didn't know the laws... or which way they lean. SOP in the field when i went through training was unless they were a doctor you were primary because unless they were a trauma nurse with equipment they were useless in the feild anyway.
As the other half was LEO on the streets of a rough city for almost two decades, she's seen all manner of incident as have I, but the qualified immunity going away at record speed, it gives me pause. In a real situation where there is no one other to help, yes i would help to save a life, but only that.

Oddly it seems
I'm still confused by the story above.

So, you're saying the guy was blue? If that's the case, CPR is indicated. If someone is unresponsive, CPR is NOT THE WRONG choice. You won't kill someone doing CPR (minus very rare exceptions).

Standards have changed and compressions are FAR MORE important than breaths (coronary perfusion pressures is key). I personally would not provide unprotected mouth to mouth to an unknown individual. As a lay person, I have done CPR numerous times, including in a cramped airplane. I performed chest compressions WITHOUT breaths because it simply wasn't feasible.

FWIW, I am a practicing clinician.

Edit: just read your reply above.

I have had basic cpr training recently enough to know that breaths isn’t something they teach the lay person anymore. Moving blood is what counts. Hell, you can run down to the Baltimore Airport and learn basic CPR on a plastic chest in the terminal in about 3 mins.

I have had basic cpr training recently enough to know that breaths isn’t something they teach the lay person anymore. Moving blood is what counts. Hell, you can run down to the Baltimore Airport and learn basic CPR on a plastic chest in the terminal in about 3 mins.
I like how they have those in numerous airports. Wife and I compete often to see who scores the best. LOL

I doubt cpr killed him, probably lack of what little oxygen he was moving to zero when they were just stomping on his chest,, no mask, breaths etc just compressions and choking on his tongue. Time they were done when EMS showed up, blue tongue hanging out of his mouth, no movement whatsoever.
I thought about requal for just such situations but it requires 3 years of school these days.....

Compressions are king, as stated.

I believe it is noted that through proper chest recoil (compressors hands off chest each time) the amount of gas exchange is about 25% that of normal tidal volume. (Too lazy to get my book to check, been at it all day).
Color is likely to not change until 100% O2 provided with a BVM and likely an airway of some kind.
Unless ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) achieved and dude is breathing.

Compressions and AED win for adults.
Ventilation and compressions (aed if indicated) for kids
Ventilation for newborns.

Dont do a full recent. Burn you out before yer finished if not a career goal.

A WFR class is EMT B knowledge sans clinical hours and a basic CPR class for bystanders is great info.

Bystander CPR and stop the bleed at a min.

Lemme know if you are ever near CO.
I know a guy….

And just a good time for a reminder: Y'all have stop the bleed training right? (and I'm refering to EVERYONE)

Real life saving CPR is very traumatic for all involved, especially if you've never seen it before.
I’ve done quite a bit and don’t agree, it’s just CPR. I'm not trying to sound cool but if it’s traumatic for you leave it to someone else to do whose head is in the game.

also unless you have a BVM skip the rescue breathes it’s not 1963 anymore.

Reactions: WaltHer
That's the truth. First time I saw it I was like FUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK, that's nothing like the TV shows. Explains why rib fractures are quite common with CPR.

Branden
The CPR was nothing, the IO insertion into his leg weirded me out for a second though. I can here the drill as I type 😆

I have tourniquets , and chest seals, and bandages, and quick clot EVERYWHERE, and think on how to stop bleeding every time I leave the pavement for a hike, hunting, etc.

Seriously, if you're carrying a thing on your hip that makes holes in people and causes them to die due to no blood pressure, you should expect the other guy is thinking the same. Lesson from the first gulf war, losing blood caused more deaths than tourniquets caused lost limbs.

Stop the bleeding, stabilize the patient, set the conditions for future success.

I have a few saves from CPR and a few from choking. Doing it and doing it correctly are different things. You're not going to learn the right way "in the Baltimore Airport ... on a plastic chest in the terminal in about 3 mins."

In the case of chest compressions, doing "something" is sometimes worse than "doing nothing."

AEDs are an answer to the untrained trying to assist. They even come with a cartoon on how to use it.

And just a good time for a reminder: Y'all have stop the bleed training right? (and I'm referring to EVERYONE)

Last edited:
I have tourniquets , and chest seals, and bandages, and quick clot EVERYWHERE, and think on how to stop bleeding every time I leave the pavement for a hike, hunting, etc.

Seriously, if you're carrying a thing on your hip that makes holes in people and causes them to die due to no blood pressure, you should expect the other guy is thinking the same. Lesson from the first gulf war, losing blood caused more deaths than tourniquets caused lost limbs.

Stop the bleeding, stabilize the patient, set the conditions for future success.

I have a few saves from CPR and a few from choking. Doing it and doing it correctly are different things. You're not going to learn the right way "in the Baltimore Airport ... on a plastic chest in the terminal in about 3 mins."

In the case of chest compressions, doing "something" is sometimes worse than "doing nothing."

AEDs are an answer to the untrained trying to assist. They even come with a cartoon on how to use it.
LOL, i still have QuickClot from the last two trips to the sandbox 09-10, etc...I suppose I should update things, they are just so expensive if you figure how many kits I would LIKE to carry, each car, bike, house, etc but you are correct about being prepared.

You pretty much won't kill someone with CPR, but the odds that CPR saves someone in the field is rapidly approaching zero. In a hospital with O2 it's not a high success rate, on the street waiting for EMS, it makes the looky loos happy someone is doing something.

in my 40yr of experience,you are 100% correct. i do not remember a citizen CPR ever lead to survival. have done 3 of same myself with no success. 1 person can not with no support-drugs,02,ivf and relief or trading roles succeed. i don't know,but maybe some are surviving with the public defibs found a lot of places? compressions during v fib are totally useless, watched too many monitors to believe differently.
in house fully expert supported "code 19s" are rather rarely successful. maybe more now days. been awhile for me to know or have access to real numbers.

Well,
I now agree that CPR isn't contraindicated even on a living person, which changes my outlook a little on the situation, I think his tongue blocking his airway lead to asphyxia and I'd have to check the supervising doctor about chest compressions on someone with a cabbage, risk/reward, but suffice it to say I learned something from all this and I'm glad I posted it. Sadly the stats on CPR haven't gone up, I've always thought that it was done more for onlookers than anyone else and as we were all really fit individuals in the military it wasn't something we spent anytime on in class.

Well,
I now agree that CPR isn't contraindicated even on a living person, which changes my outlook a little on the situation, I think his tongue blocking his airway lead to asphyxia and I'd have to check the supervising doctor about chest compressions on someone with a cabbage, risk/reward, but suffice it to say I learned something from all this and I'm glad I posted it. Sadly the stats on CPR haven't gone up, I've always thought that it was done more for onlookers than anyone else and as we were all really fit individuals in the military it wasn't something we spent anytime on in class.
Everyone should take a CPR course

Everyone should take a CPR course
I’ll admit that I’m sorely lacking in this area. Last CPR course I took was almost 20 years ago. Add to that the age of most of my 1st aid supplies and that’s where I am.

I’ll schedule myself into the next professional course they give at our range.

I’ll admit that I’m sorely lacking in this area. Last CPR course I took was almost 20 years ago. Add to that the age of most of my 1st aid supplies and that’s where I am.

I’ll schedule myself into the next professional course they give at our range.
I’ve done CPR quite a bit, not much has changed other than no rescue breaths anymore. Never hurts to brush up though.

Ive noticed a lot of people don’t do deep enough compressions like they don’t want to hurt them….if they live they’ll get over it. I still remember the feeling of breaking my first rib lol

You pretty much won't kill someone with CPR, but the odds that CPR saves someone in the field is rapidly approaching zero. In a hospital with O2 it's not a high success rate, on the street waiting for EMS, it makes the looky loos happy someone is doing something.

Ummmm????

We may get our data from different places.
I teach CPR too

I personally took care of 2 field saves yesterday in a 12 hr shift (both had “bystander” type [just compressions] CPR by family prior to EMS arrival) who achieved ROSC prior to arrival.

Chances of survival are higher now than 20 yrs ago and much higher than 40 yrs ago.

One of my patients yesterday coded again before we could correct the Hs and Ts (things that cause it).
Key is, how neuro intact are they post ROSC?
Not always so good.

As for me, just let me go to Jesus.
No need for me to be drooling and not at full function and of use to my family and community.

Reactions: lash and akmike47