• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Death Wish" Remake is "not woke"

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
https://www.dailywire.com/news/28491/death-wish-review-surprising-hollywood-remake-jacob-airey

'Death Wish' Review: A Surprising Hollywood Remake
Trigger warning: This film is not "woke."

When it was announced that director Eli Roth would be helming a remake of the Charles Bronson vehicle "Death Wish," I was a little hesitant. However, Bruce Willis’s casting as the leading man seemed interesting enough for me to give it a try.

Willis stars as Dr. Paul Kersey, a married physician who is just an average American. He is a doctor living in Chicago with his wife Lucy (Elisabeth Shue) and college-bound daughter Jordan (Camila Morrone).

Their lives seem good until one night, Paul gets called to the hospital for an emergency. While away, three criminals break into his family’s home, murdering his wife and leaving his daughter in a coma. The police are doing their best to investigate, but they are overwhelmed with cases.

After burying his wife in her home state of Texas, he speaks with his father-in-law (Len Cariou), who frequently scares poachers off his land with his rifle. He tells our hero that a man sometimes has to look out for himself. This conversation has a profound effect on Paul and leads him down a path to become a vigilante. After arming himself, he begins killing criminals on the mean streets.

Roth departs from his usual work in the horror genre ("Hostel," "The Green Inferno"), and focuses on an urban vigilante who wants to exact vengeance not just on the people who hurt his family, but on a system bogged down in bureaucracy. It is unoriginal, as most Hollywood remakes are, but it still carries a tremendous amount of entertainment value.

It is not necessarily a new part for Willis. While he does have range as a actor, this film brings him back to his roots as an action star. He plays the part well, though the hurried pace of the film rushes the transition from loving family man to cold vigilante.

Roth wisely crafts the narrative around Willis, which the seasoned action star easily handles, bringing the brutal, gritty reality to a genre that is often saturated in spycraft, superpowers, or simple platitudes. It is not perfect, as Roth’s signature love of all things gruesome does come out, especially in the last act, but it rarely slows it down.

Like most modern movies, "Death Wish" does include Leftist slants, such as its criticism of faith, but there is at least one reason for conservatives to see it: It has angered many on the Left, who have panned the film because it not only resists being "woke," it slaps it in the face.

This is one of the first modern mainstream Hollywood films that features a story with a strong father figure, portrays gun ownership in a positive light, has a message of independence and self-reliance, and even smacks elite media figures as smug. The movie’s message is overt: You cannot trust the authorities to get there on time. You have to protect your family. It is your responsibility.

Though the action genre market is rather flooded, "Death Wish" stands out as both culturally relevant and, while not perfect, entertaining, thoughtful, and worth seeing -- even if just to anger social justice warriors.

Watch the trailer below:

Reactions: Bender
I wish it would have had a more realistic timeline on some of things, and in one aspect, totally unreal and feeds the lefts hysteria but it was entertaining. I enjoyed the film.

Willis was cute in Dave and Mattie or what ever the first show was but he just doesnt measure up as a really tough guy. He's no Charles Bronson by a long shot.

In 1943, Bronson enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces and served in the 760th Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron, and in 1945 as a Boeing B-29 Superfortress aerial gunner with the Guam-based 61st Bombardment Squadron[13] within the 39th Bombardment Group, which conducted combat missions against the Japanese home islands.[14] He flew 25 missions and received a Purple Heart for wounds received in battle.[15]

I've seen the term "woke" several times. I had no idea what it meant and never cared to look into it further. This time I decided this may be something I need to know so I did a little digging.

Definition: Woke. Past tense of Wake.
I already knew that, so not much help there.

I found this in the Urban Dictionary:
Although an incorrect tense of awake, a reference to how people should be aware in current affairs.
"While you are obessing with the Kardashians, there are millions of homeless in the world. STAY WOKE"
Now we're getting somewhere. There's important things I need to know. Keep digging...

Moving on to Wikipedia:
Woke is a political term of black origin which refers to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice.[1] It is derived from the African American Vernacular English expression "stay woke," whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues. Its widespread use since 2014 is a result of the Black Lives Matter movement.
This sounds important! Justice is good and I've not been paying attention to it!

I've decided more research is needed so I ordered a book on the subject. I'm on my way to being woke! I'm excited!

images

So, my woke is in the following analogy.
The media, this includes Hollywood, bitches about gun violence while expecting to make money on
a film about gun violence...

I have liked Bruce in other films, probably not seeing him as a replacement for Charles Bronson.

R

I watched the movie with a friend and it was pretty good. The only gun related part I took umbrage with was the last rifle used by Willis. I won't go into details as it might spoil it for those wanting to watch the movie. I will say my only issue was one of timing, not the gun itself.

Reactions: FatBoy
The only gun related part I took umbrage with was the last rifle used by Willis. I won't go into details as it might spoil it for those wanting to watch the movie. I will say my only issue was one of timing, not the gun itself.

exactly. For the willfully ignorant, this seems plausible.

I've seen the term "woke" several times. I had no idea what it meant and never cared to look into it further. This time I decided this may be something I need to know so I did a little digging.

Yeah, it was new to me too, but I figured what it must mean, and was right. It's just ebonics for "Politically Correct." How ironic, yet fitting for the Left to use a grammatically-ignorant term to indicate their idea of "enlightenment".

Reactions: ...
Its tme "woke" referenced realizing that your freedoms and the Constitution are being pissed on daily by the government rather than how the left uses it to describe people that are "in" on the PC, false narrative in order to take your freedoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
PMclaine, you're right. And whenever I see/hear anyone talk like this, it reminds me back to that video of a father chastising his son for purchasing those (way too) skinny jeans. And all I remember hearing is him asking:

"How Big You IS???"

There's english, and then there's cartoon. Lastly, I don't know what-n-hell to call this 'form' of communication. Cryp-toon?