• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Debating between multi-use scopes

sigeye

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and website. I am not a sniper nor have I ever been. I'm just your run of the mill guy that loves precision target shooting and occasionally hunting as well.

I just ordered a Remington 700 SS 5R in .308WIN with the 24" barrel and I'm having a hard time deciding what scope to buy and mount to this rifle. I will be using the rifle for precision target shooting mostly under 500/yards but occasionally will shoot out to a 1000/yards. I would also like to re-introduce myself back into hunter class benchrest so I need the high magnification capabilities for this. Also, I may use the rifle for deer hunting here in south central Texas. I know that this is asking a lot of one scope but I know it can be done.

My problem is that I want a "top class" rifle scope but I also don't want to overspend for my needs. I know that Nightforce seems to be the top end scope to buy but I'm not sure if spending $1800 on a 8-32X56mm scope is realistic for a guy that will not be dragging the rifle through the bush and will more than likely never shoot past early sunset. However, if the benefits of the Nightforce are added stability/rigidity, clarity and quick adjustment features than perhaps I should save a little longer and do it right the first time.

On the other hand, I've received a lot of good feedback on the Sightron S3 scopes and I'm looking at about the same magnification capabilities in their 8-32X56mm but I can acquire this scope for around $840. I'm not sure if the Sightron is waterproof or as tactical as the Nightforce and that's what I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

My main goal is to have a scope that I NEVER question. I want to make sure that it's waterproof, shock proof, very rigid and well made so that many rounds down the road I don't have to worry about loosening features and so on. What are your thoughts? As I stated, I don't want to overbuy for my needs, however, I also don't want to regret a less expensive purchase. I've always been the type to not mind waiting a little longer for the bigger prize and I am the same on this decision. If it just makes more sense to save for longer than I'm all for it.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for any and all feedback.

Thank you,
Jordan

Re: Debating between multi-use scopes

Welcome to the forum. When you say you want bulletproof reliability and wanting to keep it versatile between BR, long range shooting and all around hunting, I hear Nightforce. Keep an eye on the Optics for Sale forum for a deal on a used one to keep the budget low. You might also want to look at the 5.5-22x instead just so you have a bit more on the low end for hunting. 22x is enough for most all <1000yd shooting and will fare pretty well at BR too. The extra internal travel won't hurt either (100moa vs 65moa on the 8-32x).

I have zero experience shooting with Sightron, so I'll withhold on commenting on them. Several here run them though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sigeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My problem is that I want a "top class" rifle scope but I also don't want to overspend for my needs. I know that Nightforce seems to be the top end scope to buy </div></div>Nightforce is definitely NOT the top scope. It is a good second tier product, though. IOR offers some great scopes with better glass for less money than the Nightforce.

Sigeye -

I have a 5R with a NXs 5.5-22x50. It can easily spot shoots at 200 an most of the time 300yds. Very comformtable out to 600. Very rugged. I used Seekins rings and rail and have taken the scope off a number of times to work on the rifle and it returns right to zero when put back on.

If you are shooting mostly out to 500yds the 3-15x50 would be great (and probably some great deals on them). Lots of choices for reticles/matching turrets.

I have shoot some friends Sightron SIIIs but only out to 100 yds and they are bright/repeatable scopes. If you get one just get matching reticle/turrets... Not sure these would take the same beating a NF but that is just my guess - not my experience.

What is your budget? If you can afford $1800-2000 then there will be a number of good choices. I am going to look at the Premier Light Tactical (I think that is the correct name). Smaller but great glass, good reticles...

my 2 cents

Thanks for the great input so far guys. I got to put my hands on a Nightforce this weekend at a gun store in Austin and I really liked it. As mentioned, I know this is a great scope but I just don't know if it's overkill for my needs or not. I'm willing to save for a while longer to acquire a Nightforce but if a Sightron S3 for less than half of the cost will perform the same in my uses then maybe I sure consider that route. Decisions, decisions. I won't wear you guys out with mindless back and forth talk but DANG this is hard!

And don't forget Vortex. I swear by Razor HD for long-range (which may or may not be an overkill for you, depending - you didn't say how much you're planning to spend), and it's definitely bulletproof (unless you manage a 308 hit right on it
grin.gif
). It has all the capabilities you're likely to want, in a reliable package. Lowlight performed a nice and impressive torture test on Razor HD, and it passed with flying colors.

Then there's Vortex Viper PST - very good in capabilities vs. money aspect. Don't know how bulletproof it is, hopefully others would jump in.

Then there's the new SS 5-20x50 - those who used it say it's very good. Unless you want Zero Stop feature, it may satisfy your needs...

Re. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but if a XXXXX for less than half of the cost will perform the same in my uses then maybe I sure consider that route...</div></div>
The issue here is "performing" <span style="text-decoration: underline">repeatably</span> and <span style="text-decoration: underline">reliably</span>. Nobody in the right mind would abuse a scope on purpose - but sh*tuff happens in the field. How well would XXXXX scope stand to abuse, and how quickly/nicely would the manufacturer jump in to help if/when needed? Then people tend to like it when their scope/turrets track precisely: you dial 12.3 mil up - it comes up 12.3, you return back to zero - it returns to the same place it was; less expensive scopes tend to be less than perfect in that aspect (and speaking of returning to zero - some scopes have Zero Stop feature, and some don't - forcing you to keep track where you are elevation-wise when your mind may be preoccupied with other things). Then some people care to be able to use the reticle for ranging and hold-overs for elevation and wind - at any power (this would mean FFP that usually costs more)...

Speaking of reticles: I personally saw no better reticle (upon my taste of course) than EBR-2B (I only wish it had 0.1 mil subtensions rather than 0.2 mil). I looked at what S&B, Premiere, NF and SS had to offer. Some were close, none was as convenient (for me).

I have 2 US Optics that I love. But at a lower price I love the
Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21. I have 2 with the Horus reticle but they
are coming out with a new one with a GAP reticle also.
For the money, it is hard to beat.