• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Debating on a Gun Build?

hammargren

Hammargren
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2012
ND
I am debating on building a bolt action rifle in either 22-250, 260, or 6.5 x 284.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks,

JC

Re: Debating on a Gun Build?

What range are you hoping to shoot at?

The 22-250 sticks out in your post. Why 22-250? Hunting?

Would like a good all around gun but one that also reaches out to the 1000 yard mark

Only reason I was thinking a 22-250 was for coyotes but I am leaning towards the 260

For that kind of range, stay away from the .22's. Some folks can do it, but it's tough. At about 500 yds, my .223 gets crazy with 75/77gr match bullets.

I've been shooting 300wm and 308. I'm in your shoes and about to get a new rifle. My smith is suggesting 6.5 creedmoor. From what I've read / talking to folks, there probably isn't enough difference between any of the short action 6.5's to worry about.

That 6.5-.284 would probably be a barrel burner, if that makes a difference to you.

Good Luck.

.260 out of those 3 for sure. Second I'd suggest .243 with 105's.

Yeah that is what I am leaning towards. Probably going to have a custom bolt built but not sure by who yet.

I have looked at the .243 but probably leaning more towards the .260

Is one more of a barrel burner then the other?

Thank You everyone for all the recommendations.

Anyone have any suggestions on a builder for the .260?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hammargren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank You everyone for all the recommendations.

Anyone have any suggestions on a builder for the .260? </div></div>

Lots of good builders who sponsor the site...My choice and can easily recommend Robert Snyder of RWSnyder Gunsmithing