• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deburring tool for drill press?

NativeCraft

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Wilson, NC
...please tell me there <span style="font-weight: bold">IS</span> one! My fingers aren't gonna last doing it with the Lee tool...
Any recommendations?

Re: Deburring tool for drill press?

With the correct thread pitch extensions, I use the cutters from my RCBS case prep center, thread them into the 3" extension rods, and chuck them in my drills. I do this as well with my flashole deburring tool (though it chucks fine with no extension rod needed) and primer pocket brushes. Way faster than the agonizingly slow revolutions of the case prep center, when cranking out the volume.

Larry is right though, doesn't take more than just a kiss to knock off the burrs!

Couple photos; 1st one is the chucked Primer pocket brush on an extension,
Primerbrush.jpg

Second is the flash deburring tool chucked in a cordless drill,
Flashholedeburrtool.jpg

+1 on the watch the cut, like larryj & queequeg say. You can get more than you bargained for quick! Be careful.

Short on cash, I wrapped some masking tape around my deburring tool and it fits just right into a 5/8" deep socket that I then chuck up my drill/driver (Dewalt w/ big flat base stands alone so I only have to hit the trigger w/ my thumb). I also use that Dewalt w/ the Lyman flash hole reamer, a RCBS primer pocket tool, and a .30 cal. bronze cleaning brush for the necks prior to sizing. ( I load 7mm).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weasethis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....Short on cash, I wrapped some masking tape around my deburring tool and it fits just right into a 5/8" deep socket that I then chuck up my drill/driver .... </div></div>
Oh hell yeah - I like that! I kept eyeing that thing trying to figure out how to get it to work in a way such as you described.

One thing I figured out is that my case trimmer cutter is extremely dull and was "burnishing" a flare on the case mouth rather than cutting the excess away - resulting in a lot of excess brass on the outside. So once I get a sharper trimmer the deburring job should be much easier.

You can buy a deal that your de-burring tool slips up in and is held in by a set screw but you have to turn it around to do the other end. I tink that you can get it from Sinclair.

I personally use the Lee trimmers and a battery powered screwdriver. I have a chuck that Lee makes to fit this unit. I just buy one of the trim pilots for what ever caliber that I'm trimming.

The main purpose of trimming is to make the hulls all the same length and to insure that the hull is not to long so the chamber doesn't deform the bullet when loaded. The Lee trimmer has never failed me yet and the old lyman trimmer had to have the cutter replaced all the time.
larryj

I used stuff in my garage cuz I'm cheap! Don't know how to do the picture post shit here on this site, but here's a link to some pix so ya don't have to visualize! Good luck. You'll have to cut and paste it cuz I don't know how to make a live link either!

(Not too computer savvy, but can drink like a mf,fart like a sailor,fight like a sissy, and shoot passable most of the time!) LOL

http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv222/Weaselthis/Reloading/