• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

decapping 338 LM

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    What are you guys using to decap 338 lapua? I have a Lee universal decapping die that works for everything I load up to 300WM, but the 338 cases don't fit.

Re: decapping 338 LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you guys using to decap 338 lapua? I have a Lee universal decapping die that works for everything I load up to 300WM, but the 338 cases don't fit. </div></div>

Anything wrong with your FL and/or Neck sizing dies?

Mine always come with decapping stems, so I just use those.

Chris

I use the Sinclair decapping tool, it will take .338 Lapua Mag. I decap first and tumble with SS media. I don't want to put dirty brass in my sizing dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Sinclair decapping tool, it will take .338 Lapua Mag. I decap first and tumble with SS media. I don't want to put dirty brass in my sizing dies. </div></div>

I've never seen the need to do anything before cleaning my brass and it's the first thing I always do in the reloading process. If I bag it, I can save it for a rainy day and it's ready to go.

I don't really want to run anything dirty through my dies, either, if I don't have to and I guess that would include a universal decapping die.

I'm thinking of getting an O-frame SS press just to have and I guess I might buy a universal D.D. just to install in it, which would keep my Dillon 550b a bit cleaner, as I do get some debris during the decapping process, however this isn't a 'must' for me.

I was checking out decapping dies on Ebay and Lyman makes a big one that I believe will do the 338LM, so one can look at their site or email them.

Chris

I always like to decap my cases before tumbling so the primer pockets come out clean. I can run them thru the neck die with the decapping rod, but I would have to tumble twice bc I dont want to run dirty cases thru the dies.

I know this wont help you much I use my 50-90 Sharps die. You might get awy with a 45-70 die if you hang the decapper rod out a bit.

I got a redding large decapping die. It works fine with the 338.

I have an RCBS Large Universal Decap die. Before I had this I took the decap spindle out of a spare 30-06 die I have and just fiddled it into the decap hole and tapped it with a plastic mallet to pop the primer loose.

I don't reload 338LM because I don't shoot it. I had a handful of cases from a friend that he wanted SS tumbled to try it out.