• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decapping 6.5x47 Lapua brass?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I haven't tried it yet, but I'm reading that the flash holes on this cartridge is too small for most manufacturer's decapping pins to push through.

Is this true? If so, what are some solutions? The one I ran across was to open up the flash hole a bit larger.

Re: Decapping 6.5x47 Lapua brass?

Are you reffering to decapping only? The 6.5x47 has a smaller flash hole than standard 308 base cartridges. I wouldn't want to open it up, might be bad for pressure.

I guess I deprime when FL sizing and the two dies I've used both had the right decapping pin already in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Redding competition dies and the decapper works fine. </div></div>

Same experience for me.

I'm also currently running the Redding comp die, before that was Forester comp die which was nice. The Forester set was just borrowed while I waited for the Redding. Both sets worked quite well.

Wow, thanks guys. I guess Sinclair has a solution to a non-existent problem.

Sinclair Flashhole Reamer - .0625

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This tool is designed to ream small flash holes (.060) to exactly .0625 inch. The handloader addresses two issues when using this tool; 1) <span style="color: #3333FF">It enlarges the holes just enough for the die maker's decapping pins to go through without getting stuck,</span> and 2) Each case will have exactly the same size flash hole insuring uniform ignition. This three piece tool has a stainless steel handle which is knurled for easy turning and a straight fluted .0625 inch reamer. <span style="color: #3333FF">Designed for Lapua PPC, BR, and 6.5x47 Lapua cases</span> with .060 inch flash holes only.</div></div>

The Redding Dies for the 6.5-47 come with the correct size de-capping pin. No need to ream the flash holes. The Lapua brass has very uniform flash holes, so the only thing you will be doing is making them bigger, which offers no advantage.