• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Decent Anemometer?

Rynham9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
Enid, OK
I've been looking into getting an Anemometer. Tried looking for threads here on the hide but didn't have much luck. Have also googled them but was curious what others here where using. Have read up on judging but am very inexperienced at doing so. Would like to ck myself if it will not cost me to much. Thanks.

Re: Decent Anemometer?

I have a LaCrosse Scientific that works fine for just temp and wind velocity and was under $35.
I also have a Kestrell that can report altitude density. The difference being a device that can collect and present more environmental data such as; altitude, pressure, humidity, direction relative to magnetic north, etc. One device simply gives a fixed-point wind speed indicator for judging wind holds, the other can allow a shooter to correct the bullet trajectory due to environmental changes in a trajectory calculator or ballistic program.

Thanks guys. I have looked at the different LaCrosse models but got mixed reviews. One would give 5 stars while the next would give 0. Haven't looked into Kestrel yet. Im just a guy that likes to shoot and am trying to extend my effective range. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Type Kestrel into this search engine for a ton of info:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978%3Aqcbx5qqy10o&hl=en</div></div>

Thanks for the direction. That search engine is much more on point.

I have a Brunton Pro ADC that gives me everything, including DA. I never use the anemometer though, the wind at my location is rarely the same as downrange. Matter of fact, I pretty much just leave it on DA while I'm shooting and keep track of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Brunton Pro ADC that gives me everything, including DA. I never use the anemometer though, the wind at my location is rarely the same as downrange. Matter of fact, I pretty much just leave it on DA while I'm shooting and keep track of that.</div></div>

I've got the same one. It works great except.... The altimater seems to need to be calibrated all the time and I don't trust the wind readings. The impeller I think is too small to get good readings in high wind. We were out in 40 mph sustained winds a few months ago and it was reading 28-32 mph when my buddy's Kestrel was reading 40-44 mph in the same location. Otherwise for the price it's pretty good.

I have had 2 kestrels and found them to work very well. I started with the 3500 and upgraded to the 4500.