• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent/better Ar10 receivers?

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Been debating a large frame build for a while and thinking of at least picking up a receiver set to kick it off with. Really looking to get as accurate as I can with reasonable cost on receiver set, ambi is of little importance to me.

Goals are 18-20" barrel, likely a custom barrel in 308 with a quad rail of some type. It will be suppressed 99% of the time via fa762ss or kac mk11 can. Will likely top it with a NF nx8 2-20 with a T3 (possible 4-32).

Can get a aero m5 set for $300 or go Wison billet set for 470ish. I'm open to other suggestions or thoughts on the ones I listed above. Despite all the bolt guns I built this large frame is new territory and I'm open to being influenced.

I have used Aero with good luck, but Live Free Armory is interesting to me because of the accuracy claims and the price point. I have heard good things (no personal experience), but looks like availability is a problem. Here's a link. https://www.livefreearmory.com/product_ar10.php?model=2

I love the large frame AR platform, but since you mention you plan to shoot suppressed, I will warn you that I have run into problems with back pressure, even on rifle-length gas systems, that do not tend to show up in a 5.56 or similar system. I tried adjustable gas blocks, and they do work, but it's just another thing to "fiddle" with. I actually ended up with an OSS can (now calling themselves "HUXWRX" i believe) which solved the problem.

Good luck with your build!

I love the large frame AR platform, but since you mention you plan to shoot suppressed, I will warn you that I have run into problems with back pressure, even on rifle-length gas systems, that do not tend to show up in a 5.56 or similar system. I tried adjustable gas blocks, and they do work, but it's just another thing to "fiddle" with. I actually ended up with an OSS can (now calling themselves "HUXWRX" i believe) which solved the problem.
    Yea that's one thing I've picked up on in general. Since I'm making my barrel ill likely start off undersized on the gas port and slowly open it up until I get to the spot I need to be. M118lr clone loads will likely be the softest shooting round I'll feed it but will test it with some cheap hunting or plinking factory rounds for good measure. Worse case I'll go to the brt tube to reduce to whatever size I need.

There will be no adjustable gas block, did it once and not really a fan. I'd rather just size the port and buffer right first.

Aero M5E1 enhanced.
    Mega/ZEV, especially if you can find an older Mega set.
    Have not been pleased with Wilson since my shitty barrel fiasco.

I would jump on this quick!
    One thing you can learn the hard way is large frame ARs can be finicky AF and riddled w/ problems if Frankensteined together. Go with combos others have already proven viable in threads on here.
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mega-arms-maten-monolithic-receiver-set-16”-mlok.7128691/#post-10282308

The Mega's are tier one for sure, Tumwater marked anyway.

Only word of caution is the mk11 can. That requires a pretty exact barrel, which will only fit in certain upper receivers. you change the entire conversation if you want to use a Mk11 suppressor. you will spend 4x the cost of a KAC suppressor, so you might want to give serious consideration to that.

Well this search ended quick. Got a tip Grey Ghost Precision had their billet sets on sale for 45% off and picked up a mkii set for $320. From what I gather this is quite a bit better than the Aero set I would have got... and no forward assist 😁.

As far as the mk11 can and fitting. I have the print for the barrel profile, the receiver end where it plugs into the extension I can machine to make fit the barrel nut. The critical piece is only the last like 1/2" or so that mates into the suppressor. The problem is the back collar which I either hunt down on gunbroker and pay a stupid amount of money or machine a collar and have the indexing pin actually pin into the barrel. Haven't decided yet.... going to see how much more of a heavy bitch she is compared to the fa763ss which I have a spare muzzlebrake sitting around. I just tend to like more than 1 host for my suppressors and I'd hate to have a $1400 mk11 can dedicated to a mk13 which will see light use.

Now a search for a decent quad rail in the 13" range

Last edited:
    Reactions: ut755ln
    I'm honestly impressed with it. Upper and lower are very tight, way better than the old aero m5 I had. Finally figured out the direction I'm going.

Kreiger barrel
    Toolcraft HP dual ejector bcg
    Pri delta handguard and spr top rail
    Pri flip front sight gas block
    B5 precision stock
    Surefire fa762ss/AL brake
    Bcm gunfighter mode
    Geissele ssa-e

likely a nx8 4-32 with T3

She's gunna be a beast.

20220710_140758.jpg

GGP are thermal fit for barrel extensions too. Going to be buying an AR15 set soon.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6mm Creedmoor built up on Aero. The 6.5 is awesome. The 6mm works as well, but has issues with the barrel/chamber. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I will switch the barrel 6mm and it should run like a clock.

I can weigh it tomorrow. Will be a completely stripped weight
    Sorry for the late reply. Thought I had a food scale but my wife decided the dumpster was a better place for it.

Weighing myself 3 times and then one with the receiver I get 1.4lbs.

Spec on website says 1.55lbs or 24.8oz. Their spec is probably right on or a smidge over for fully stripped.

• Haha
    Reactions: JS8588 and rpoL98
    Sorry for the late reply. Thought I had a food scale but my wife decided the dumpster was a better place for it.

Weighing myself 3 times and then one with the receiver I get 1.4lbs.

Spec on website says 1.55lbs or 24.8oz. Their spec is probably right on or a smidge over for fully stripped.
    How are you liking the GGP receiver? They look nice, but hoping to catch them on sale.

It's OK I still exist lol.

I still haven't finished the AR10 but so far every part I've attached to it has got well and lined up. Slr, jp, geissele, bcm, pri, etc.

I did buy one of their ar15 receivers and that has run flawlessly so far. I like their stuff. No issues yet.

Reactions: Thebiglebowski