• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Decent binoculars for PRS?

louu

The only NON methhead in NJ
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
I'm not sure if decent is the word I should use?

What's the norms, not the poors and not the richs, somewhere in between use for spotting hits for PRS?

I'm not even really sure what my budget should be for these. I do know I definitely want binoculars, not a spotting scope. I'd like to see the bullet trace and hits out to 1300 yards or more.

Thanks guys

Reactions: Snark0
Bushnell Forge 15x56 or the the new Bushnell Match Pro same as the Forge but with a reticle. The Bushnell's have been awesome for spotting PRS matches. They are on the heavy side so a tripod is necessary for steady viewing.

There is a thread here on the Match Pro's

I see a lot of guys using Forge 15x56s, I use Athlon 15x56s, I know three or four guys using their 10x42 LRF binos (Fury/Kilo 10K), and one other guy using 18x Kaibabs. Good 10x binos will suit you. Maven are great. I know a guy using Meopta. Anything over $500 is pretty good. I'm kind of shocked how nice even my 8x Vortex Diamonbacks are.

If I'm being honest, for a casual PRS shooter who hasn't picked up a Swaro cert from their winnings, anything 15x from $600-$1300 is going to be very adequate. Welcome to 2023.

If you can afford it and not lose out on something more important to your kit, go for something like the Swaro ELs or SLC 15x, but if that money goes to a better balanced chassis, better rifle optic, a good bipod or a kestrel elite, etc., spend it on something that nets you more points.

15x56 Match Pro ED w/reticle.

IMG_20230606_084733 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: louu
Here's the thread on the Bushnell Match Pro binos with the reticle. Just got mine and they are very nice for the money and worth a hard look.

I've had a chance, (albeit limited time behind them) to try Apex Optics Summit Pro binos with reticle in the left eye piece. Rather enjoyed using them at a local rimfire PRS match. IMO binos tend to beat out spotting scopes from a PRS perspective, and the reticle was fantastic without being overcrowded or in the way when it came to viewing impacts.

I bought these a couple years ago as a placeholder until I figured out my bino situation and they’ve been great.

Are they Swaro’s? Nope, but closer than you’d think for ~$300ish, good enough where I’m still using them and can continue to do so until I pick a better pair up off a prize table or break down and buy a pair with a reticle…

Thanks for the replies guys.

Question on binoculars with reticles, does the reticle get in the way of spotting hits? I get nervous spotting/calling hits for people thinking I might miss one.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Question on binoculars with reticles, does the reticle get in the way of spotting hits? I get nervous spotting/calling hits for people thinking I might miss one.
Not the new Bushnell match pros, the reticle is very fine and in the lower 1/3rd of the FOV

What's your budget and how much do you appreciate great glass and not getting eye fatigue when glassing for long periods?
I really had no idea on budget when I started this thread but now that I've been looking up some of these options you guys put up I'm thinking somewhere around 500-700?

I really had no idea on budget when I started this thread but now that I've been looking up some of these options you guys put up I'm thinking somewhere around 500-700?

A 500-700 budget for 15's isn't going to get you anything really great. Best you'll do in that price range is looking for some used BX5's. They pop up pretty often lightly used and sometimes even NIB in the $700-$800 range for 15's. They're good glass and good middle of the road, really not far behind SLC's and Meopta's at all.

If you can up your budget a good bit you can get into some UHD's with one of the 30% off MAP coupons (you can get them on here for $50).

A 500-700 budget for 15's isn't going to get you anything really great. Best you'll do in that price range is looking for some used BX5's. They pop up pretty often lightly used and sometimes even NIB in the $700-$800 range for 15's. They're good glass and good middle of the road, really not far behind SLC's and Meopta's at all.

If you can up your budget a good bit you can get into some UHD's with one of the 30% off MAP coupons (you can get them on here for $50).
Who makes the UHD's, is that Vortex?

Louu having a reticle for spotting is a very good thing. I would take slightly less in glass and have a reticle than vice versa. Just think about it and try to look at some binos when at the range or a match.

Who makes the UHD's, is that Vortex?

Yes, the Razor UHD. They would be an excellent choice. You really open your options up if you can get up over $1K and you get out of the budget glass. You can also find lightly used Meopta Meostar 15's which are also an excellent choice for $1000-$1200. $1800 will get you lightly used 15x SLC HD's which are the gold standard. Maven B5's are also excellent and run $1500 new. It's really just where you want to draw the line or at what point do you just get some used SLC's and be done.

For spotting out to 1300 or more, I’d go with at least 15x binos. In my experience, it starts to be tough to see trace and impacts reliably past 700 with 10x. I bought 18x Razors last year, and they’re awesome. Not quite SLC glass, but definitely pretty good.

You need to look through some Forge 15x56 at a match - competitors look through mine all the time at matches and I often get positive (surprised at how good for $) comments

I strongly recommend a Kestrel 5700 Elite. I was totally against until I saw one on a sale and purchased. That is your ballistics solver. Next you'll want a range finder. I personally picked up several including a Vortex Fury AB - but you just need a range finder. Distance is key for long distance. After that, you really don't need anything else but a good scope. Put your Spotting Scope money into your scope where you can see your own shots. My shooting partner and I have several but honestly, we sit behind each others scope and watch each others shots

Are you a bot or do you just not pay attention in class?

I strongly recommend a Kestrel 5700 Elite. I was totally against until I saw one on a sale and purchased. That is your ballistics solver. Next you'll want a range finder. I personally picked up several including a Vortex Fury AB - but you just need a range finder. Distance is key for long distance. After that, you really don't need anything else but a good scope. Put your Spotting Scope money into your scope where you can see your own shots. My shooting partner and I have several but honestly, we sit behind each others scope and watch each others shots
Except you can’t use your rifle scope to spot at a PRS match

Good Glass is something that really does not get replaced. New coatings and designs come up, but alpha glass from 20 years ago is the same today. When you spend alot of time behind glass, you quickly realize you get what you pay for. There is no free lunch. There are some better values out there, but if you want to see through and see mirage, see impacts clearly, see through atmospherics, you are going to want good glass.

Buying cheap glass is the biggest waste of money. Almost everything under $1,000 is pretty disposable and will have almost no resale No one wants your used chicom binos. On the flip side, once you get into the $1K range, you can get some pretty good glass used or new (Conquest HD, UHD, BX-5, Kowa Genesis) For a little more (Meostar B1, SLC) $1500-2000 you get into good glass that is only beaten by stuff over the $3K mark. After spending a few years spotting with mid tier glass (leica geovids) I upgraded to NL Pures and don't regret it at all. The clarity, resolution, lack of any CA and ability to cut through mirage is next level shit. You don't need the top of the line glass, but something like the SLC's are great for PRS and its why they are so popular.

The point is, dont waste money on lower level shit that you WILL replace and then that money is a sunk cost because no one is buying that shit but newbies. Something like a nice used set of Meopta''s or SLC will cost you a bit more, but will retain there value not to mention the performance is so much better.

I have only looked thru them, I have never actually used them but the Athlon 15x56 (like all Cronus optics) hit way above it's price range.

I find myself sounding like an Athlon fan boy but the Cronus line in particular kills it for the price. I love my BTR, I heard the spotter is amazing for $900 and the binos as well...for around $600

I dropped my Midas Tac right on the turret, returned it and got a new one no questions asked...they were a pleasure to deal with. I am farrr from a bino expert so take my advice with a grain of salt. Give Doug at Camera Land a call.

Apex summit pro’s are awesome
Though I was impressed with the glass on the Apex pro’s for me the reticle was completely useless since there’s no way to focus the reticle. If you have great eye sight then I bet they’d be a great setup but they were so fuzzy for me I couldn’t make anything out on the reticle.

I'm not sure if decent is the word I should use?

What's the norms, not the poors and not the richs, somewhere in between use for spotting hits for PRS?

I'm not even really sure what my budget should be for these. I do know I definitely want binoculars, not a spotting scope. I'd like to see the bullet trace and hits out to 1300 yards or more.

Thanks guys
1300 yards is WAY farther than the huge majority of PRS shots even in the west. At a match, unless you are a designated spotter of some kind (never seen this but who knows what weirdo MDs are up to) the amount of time spent behind binos will not cause eye fatigue if they are even remotely decent. Any brand discussed here falls into that category. It’s hard to over state the helpfulness of having a reticle available in your glass if you are helping another shooter get on target or if you are looking at your targets and want an idea of size so you can best cover the wind spread. Seriously, look for something with a reticle UNLESS you plan to just camp behind your binos all day as an RO, for example. I find x15 to be a bit more than I want for regular match use. I had a pair but end up only ever taking my x10s that have a rangefinder in them. In your price range however, because they include a reticle, I’m in the Match Pros are a no brainer camp.

Reactions: louu and Rob01
1300 yards is WAY farther than the huge majority of PRS shots even in the west. At a match, unless you are a designated spotter of some kind (never seen this but who knows what weirdo MDs are up to) the amount of time spent behind binos will not cause eye fatigue if they are even remotely decent. Any brand discussed here falls into that category. It’s hard to over state the helpfulness of having a reticle available in your glass if you are helping another shooter get on target or if you are looking at your targets and want an idea of size so you can best cover the wind spread. Seriously, look for something with a reticle UNLESS you plan to just camp behind your binos all day as an RO, for example. I find x15 to be a bit more than I want for regular match use. I had a pair but end up only ever taking my x10s that have a rangefinder in them. In your price range however, because they include a reticle, I’m in the Match Pros are a no brainer camp.
Im really new to this game. Back in 2019 or so I shot a begginers match at new Holland PA and the next match after that the regular club match. Those matches were terrible and it totally turned me off to this game. The beginners match was kinda neat because it was basically an infomercial for the kestrel so of course I bought one.

I was bored and kinda burnt out on uspsa a couple of weeks ago and shot the match at Tremont PA it's Bill Geissele's range. I had an awesome time and I think I'm hooked. The furthest shot was 1068 yards but the next match on the 27th goes to around 1250. The shot at the last match on the 1068 target had a flasher on it but we were the last squad to shoot it and of course after our first shooter the flasher broke. Only one guy in our squad had kinda good enough glass to spot the hits. Believe it or not we could hear the hits on that plate.

I have a cheap pair of 10x binos and I kinda like them because I like to run my scope around 10 power so I would use my binos practice the stage finding the targets. My binos were trash for spotting hits so I would use other guys stuff to call hits. I didn't pay any attention to what they were. I was in over my head at the match because it was basically my first real match. I'm guessing 15x binos would be good for that match for calling hits.

I really wanted to contribute but my experience is hunting, rather than PRS. However, I have had good experience with Vortex Diamondback 12X50.

However, I agree with others and also the advice, in general, with either scopes or binos, by the best glass you can afford. And it is not just where the glass is actually made but also the coatings.

How do you like the Match Pros? I have been begging for alpha glass with a reticle for years, and the henny spotter was the only thing that came close.
Henry spotter doesn't compete with them. But its like what a 8x cost factor if not more and then factor the warranty between them.

I've looked through enough Forge to understand the imitations of the glass compared but add a reticle and it changes a lot

My match pros aren't here yet, a little bit still. But they will be in My pack regardless of whether the NL Pure are on my tripod or not

It's more do you want a reticle. If so Match Pro. If not NL Pure. And I ignore spotters because they are mostly useless you are in Swaro BTX territory which is $$$$$

How do you like the Match Pros? I have been begging for alpha glass with a reticle for years, and the henny spotter was the only thing that came close.

Come on down to the Quantico prs22 match next weekend and you can check mine out.

Come on down to the Quantico prs22 match next weekend and you can check mine out.
I forgot about that match . Sold my ZCOs and down to a gen 3 razor waiting for the other 3 to ship from Scott at LO. Out of town this week for work but may be able to swap it over and drive down. Its a long drive for a .22 match. Are you shooting Peterson in a few weeks or WAR?

I forgot about that match . Sold my ZCOs and down to a gen 3 razor waiting for the other 3 to ship from Scott at LO. Out of town this week for work but may be able to swap it over and drive down. Its a long drive for a .22 match. Are you shooting Peterson in a few weeks or WAR?

No won’t be up at War. Yeah it’s a little stretch for a .22 match as it’s about 4 hours for me but got to grab some points. Squad 5 if you sign up for Quantico.

Not a big deal. I am sure someone at War will have a set to look at. Seems they are getting into the wild pretty good now.

Im really new to this game. Back in 2019 or so I shot a begginers match at new Holland PA and the next match after that the regular club match. Those matches were terrible and it totally turned me off to this game. The beginners match was kinda neat because it was basically an infomercial for the kestrel so of course I bought one.

I was bored and kinda burnt out on uspsa a couple of weeks ago and shot the match at Tremont PA it's Bill Geissele's range. I had an awesome time and I think I'm hooked. The furthest shot was 1068 yards but the next match on the 27th goes to around 1250. The shot at the last match on the 1068 target had a flasher on it but we were the last squad to shoot it and of course after our first shooter the flasher broke. Only one guy in our squad had kinda good enough glass to spot the hits. Believe it or not we could hear the hits on that plate.

I have a cheap pair of 10x binos and I kinda like them because I like to run my scope around 10 power so I would use my binos practice the stage finding the targets. My binos were trash for spotting hits so I would use other guys stuff to call hits. I didn't pay any attention to what they were. I was in over my head at the match because it was basically my first real match. I'm guessing 15x binos would be good for that match for calling hits.
Frankly, anything with ranges that far should have multiple hit indicators and everyone in the squad should be watching. Mirage can make hit indicators hard to see, impacts are very difficult to spot even through the rifle scope itself, and the sound is so delayed it gets lost in the match noise, especially with .243 and .224 projectiles. The x12 UHD razors might be a good choice that stays in your desired mag range and offers good value for the money. It’s more than you indicated you want to spend though. If you want to go that route, pm me. I probably have a Vortex code for $$$ off. I‘ve watched plenty of binos get shit-whipped on to the ground, or off a cliff in the case of Blue Steel Ranch, when a gust of wind blows over a tripod. Invariably, something breaks. Maybe it’s the mount, maybe it’s the bridge, maybe it’s the lens. So the vortex warranty does carry some value (and it’s another reason I would not buy $5000 binos for match use).

Regarding time in the game, a lot of people on here have a lot of experience. I’ve shot a local match in Colorado or Wyoming almost every week for the last four years and a handful of two day matches, Guardian, PRS, CD, and outlaw, in Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and Oklahoma. All of those involved some level of responsibility for spotting. I cycled through several different binos. If there was a ranging bino with a mil reticle, I’d buy it yesterday. Missing a target because of bad range info sucks and happens, especially at smaller matches, so I’m pretty committed to my ranging binos at this point. Even at x10, they’ve never failed me. I think it’s helpful to go into a stage with a visual of the target size, which you can do when you get behind the scope on the first target, but that takes time and cognitive space which few beginners have. Long story short, there’s no magic answer. x12-15, from a name we all recognize, strongly weight a mil reticle or ability to range in your decision if you can afford it and don’t sweat it if you can’t.

No won’t be up at War. Yeah it’s a little stretch for a .22 match as it’s about 4 hours for me but got to grab some points. Squad 5 if you sign up for Quantico.

Not a big deal. I am sure someone at War will have a set to look at. Seems they are getting into the wild pretty good now.
Almost worth the drive to try and beat Tony. I'll be in Philly all next week for work. I'll try and make it down.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
sig 3000 bdx RF binos on sale at euro optic for $799 now. Be great for dedicated shooting.

This. Sporting with a reticle allows you to adjust when you shoot the stage. Depending on how much you trust the wind call of the shooter you are spotting for, of course.

Shot a match last Sunday and in our squad we had an Apex Summit Pro that was complete garbage, two different vortex binos that was good and a Meopta 15x56 that was phenomenal.

The Meoptas was mine and I'd really like to compare them to a Swarovski and a Mavin but so far they are awesome binos.

Are you shooting the war match in Tremont PA on the 27th? That match a couple of weeks ago was my first real match. I love that place, I can't wait till the next one! I really line that they didn't cancel cus of the rain. I'm so sick of uspsa matches getting canceled at the last minute because there's a 10 percent chance of rain.

Are you shooting the war match in Tremont PA on the 27th? That match a couple of weeks ago was my first real match. I love that place, I can't wait till the next one! I really line that they didn't cancel cus of the rain. I'm so sick of uspsa matches getting canceled at the last minute because there's a 10 percent chance of rain.
Yea a group of us are going up there. Its probally the hardest match in the nation so get ready!

Do you shoot PRS22? If so, we shot together a few times at Bridgeville and Quinton.

I would personally put money into the highest glass quality you can afford, over trying to get 15x.

If you can squeeze together a few more sheckles, an open box Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 is a great quality optic, that optically compares to the likes of Swaro's. CameraLandNY frequently has open box sales on these for under $1k. Liberty Optics may be able to help you out here as well.

Yea a group of us are going up there. Its probally the hardest match in the nation so get ready!

Do you shoot PRS22? If so, we shot together a few times at Bridgeville and Quinton.
That's awesome man I'll see you there! I don't know what you look like but in the dude in the middle with America tattoos all over my arm

Come say hi. I had no idea that match was considered difficult. I actually thought it was easy and we'll though out. I've only shot 2 matches so far. That last one and one at new Holland and I thought the one at new Holland was really difficult and really fucking stupid.

I live about 15 minutes from Quinton but no I've never shot a 22 match. If your close I can help you put that AR on your mower lol I'm a pro fabricator. Just won't be for another month or so I have a huge project taking up my whole shop right now.

I would personally put money into the highest glass quality you can afford, over trying to get 15x.

If you can squeeze together a few more sheckles, an open box Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 is a great quality optic, that optically compares to the likes of Swaro's. CameraLandNY frequently has open box sales on these for under $1k. Liberty Optics may be able to help you out here as well.
Yeah I think I settled on the razor uhd's 12x. I stopped at a shop that had the 10x ones and wow they are amazing.

Reactions: kthomas
That's awesome man I'll see you there! I don't know what you look like but in the dude in the middle with America tattoos all over my arm

Come say hi. I had no idea that match was considered difficult. I actually thought it was easy and we'll though out. I've only shot 2 matches so far. That last one and one at new Holland and I thought the one at new Holland was really difficult and really fucking stupid.

I live about 15 minutes from Quinton but no I've never shot a 22 match. If your close I can help you put that AR on your mower lol I'm a pro fabricator. Just won't be for another month or so I have a huge project taking up my whole shop right now.

Ah gotcha man a different Lou. Trust me the monthly matches there are WAY easier. 2-4 moa targets and 105-120 seconds. Not a ton of movement. The national match is like 1-2 moa targets, 90 seconds and a ton of movement. I haven't shot it yet but all my buddies who have said it was the hardest match they ever shot. I think there is one more reginal match at war before the national, then the regional finale is there was well.

Reactions: Vyx313 and louu
Look on here, eBay, the other forums for a used Leica 10 or 12x50 bn/ba, or an older Ultravid or better yet a used Zeiss fl 10x42 or fl56, all of which are better than anything listed above and equal to the very best other than fov and ff designs. Finding them under 1k is easy if you’re not in an immediate rush, in which case you can always just rent a pair for the weekend.

The older models, the fl’s especially, still compete neck and neck with the best there is to this day, got’em all and have for a long time so I’m not speaking form lack of experience, I should also mention the excellent swaro slc’s.

If you have to have new there’s a ton of great mid tier stuff that’s really good and will satisfy most. One other way to get alpha glass on the cheap, compared to todays prices anyway, are look for a used Nikon e2, a superior e, or better yet the 15x60 Zeiss bGat’s which are incredible but big. $300 to 1500 tops can buy some serious alpha glass.

Good luck.