• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent budget ar handguards

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
I'm in the process of building AR15s for my 3 nieces and nephews. I've been accumulating parts for a while and I'm down to the handguards and sights/optics.

I'm trying to find
Free float
10-13in
Mlok or key mod
Top rail
Price <100 preferably closer to 80

With the current market I think I'm looking for a unicorn.
They dont have to be top of the line just not junk.

I'd prefer a source for new but if someone had some factory takeoffs at a better deal I'd be interested.

Maybe ill get lucky with black friday. The more I save on cosmetics the more I can spend on sights.

I know it’s not modern, but maybe use magpul hand guards for something with a front sight base.

Other than that, be quick on the draw for the alg rails. They are functional and very affordable.

Decent quality, get the clamp on style they are pretty solid units. I have used these for a couple of low end builds for friends and family. They have been happy with them and have had no issues.

https://justrails.com/

Didn't look at everything they had but saw a couple I liked. Now just need to find in stock items

Check STNGR. Lots of handguards $100-150. I did not check availability, I've just purchased from them in the past and like their products. You don't have to pay $300-400 to get a quality handguard.

I'm in the process of building AR15s for my 3 nieces and nephews. I've been accumulating parts for a while and I'm down to the handguards and sights/optics.

I'm trying to find
Free float
10-13in
Mlok or key mod
Top rail

I'd prefer a source for new but if someone had some factory takeoffs at a better deal I'd be interested.

Maybe ill get lucky with black friday. The more I save on cosmetics the more I can spend on sights.
My sons and I built their first AR's together during covid and used these. Very nice, light, seem to be well made, not too beefy. I'd recommend them and I paid $55 for the 12" and 49.99 for the 10"

Wait until later in the week for the Black Friday sales. Alg often has their rails on sale. Watch this Reddit link for new deals, but you have to act fast on them.

ALG and White Oak have some nice hand guards at reasonable prices.

I'm trying to find
Free float
10-13in
Mlok or key mod
Top rail

define your price as some people don't understand the concept of 'budget'. Budget should be $100 or less, probably closer to 60-70

I bought a cheapo new frontier front hand guard for my AR-9 build.
It works well and uses a proprietary barrel nut that I definitely prefer over the standard AR barrel nut.
A1AA9624-9798-4CE2-B775-A4517A386E22.jpeg

Last edited:
define your price as some people don't understand the concept of 'budget'. Budget should be $100 or less, probably closer to 60-70
I stated price in last line of specs. <$100 preferably closer to $80

I stated price in last line of specs. <$100 preferably closer to $80
right...just so everyone sees this as some of the suggestions are borderline ridiculous given your price range. The links I provided will do you well and good luck, it's a lot of fun introducing younger shooters to the AR

Here are some more budget hand guards, they don't get much cheaper than these. Out of stock on a bunch of them but if your not in a hurry they will have them, just got to keep checking. I have one of theirs on a 10.5 pistol build, it's pretty solid.

https://www.ar15handguard.com/ar15-quad-rail-handguard-free-float-handguard/
I’m running two hand guards from ar15handguard.com- pleased with both- one on a DPMS pattern 308 and one on a 300blk pistol very good prices and a nice guy runs the place- proprietary barrel nut but easy to use and well under $100.

I'm trying to find
Free float
10-13in
Mlok or key mod
Top rail

Noveske NSR handguards have been on sale for $99 for 11" at joeboboutfitters.com

I bought one for my 8" 300BLK SBR. So far so good.

Reactions: drewthebrave
Utg PRO, make sure is says PRO, they're US made and fairly rugged, I have one of the quadrails, and it seems fairly stout. I don't have IR so not 100% on the strength, but id say its equivalent to most higher end rails. The slim freefloat rails are likely not as stout, but the same is true for other manufacturers when comparing pic vs mlok.

Reactions: ctrock
Look at the expo arms brand from primary arms. They are decent and priced well. They also have diamond head ones on sale for under 100 frequently

If you want to go really budget, I have heard the matrix brand from joebobs are serviceable. They were blowing out done noveske keymod a while back. Not sure if any of those left

The aero first or second gen rails can be had under 100

Chandler hardwoods and unbranded ar have options as well. At least some options to look at

Imo the best value out there is larue lat/sat but they are over 100 for a 13-15 handguard. They run 10$an inch

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Look at the expo arms brand from primary arms. They are decent and priced well. They also have diamond head ones on sale for under 100 frequently

If you want to go really budget, I have heard the matrix brand from joebobs are serviceable. They were blowing out done noveske keymod a while back. Not sure if any of those left

The aero first or second gen rails can be had under 100

Chandler hardwoods and unbranded ar have options as well. At least some options to look at

Imo the best value out there is larue lat/sat but they are over 100 for a 13-15 handguard. They run 10$an inch
totally agree and real tight lock up