• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent ECONOMICAL 308 bullet for 100-500 yards

Tomspanks

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2013
Looking for something I can use to practice on the cheap with my m1a. However I have resisted buying anything ugly like the PRVI or anything like that as I dont plink with my 308- too expensive. The cz 452 in 22lr is for that kind of relaxed practice.

Currently using the 150 grain hornady FMJBT

PS. Im in Canada so cant take any deals cheers

Re: Decent ECONOMICAL 308 bullet for 100-500 yards

sounds like you want something really good for really cheap - does not work that way, do not turn up your nose at the privy projectiles - they are probably your best bet for practice loads

Nosler Pro Shop had 140 grn Custom Competition 100 packs for sale last week. I think a lot of people use those in M1A/M1 Garand over on the CMP Forum.

100-300yd the 135gr SMK, 140gr Custom Comp will work just fine. If wind isn't to bad you could stretch them out a little farther. I only shoot them back to 300yds. Bullet you are using would work just fine or the 155gr SMKs or the good old 168gr SMK. You can't get nice and cheap. The PRVI may shoot good. I bought some of the pulled M118LR bullets and some have some aggressive machine pull markings on them but the hold MOA.

My standard plinking load
Hornady 150 FMJBT, seated to cannelure (2.735")
44 grains of W-748
Winchester LRP
PPU cases trimmed to 2.005

Will chrono all day just a hair over 2600 FPS in a 20" bolt gun, will print 1 MOA or less out to 300 yards.

At this rate the brass will take 7-10 loadings before the primer pockets start to loosen up, cases hardly stretch, maybe .003-.005 per firing

The cheaper hunting bullets have worked well for me. Every .30 caliber rifle I've owned shoots the 150 grain Sierra Game King really well including my M1A.

Many hunting bullets work very well. I have shot many of those privi bullets. They are not the best but they shoot well enough for plinking. They do work better if you sort them. I do that when watching TV with the family. If you have ever seen a show called dance moms you to would also sort bullets wile watching tv. Even sorted ammo does not get rid of all the fliers but it sure cuts them down. Once you get your time involved it is just easier to buy better bullets. My thoughts are this. There is only so much TV you can watch.

I have shot quite a few Coyotes using those bullets using my 1919.

Just as pmclaine said, watch the Nosler Pro Shop. They will Custom Comp blems and over-runs occasionally at around 15-18 bucks per 100